Chess Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Photos

The photos I'm posting now are from last weekend's Toronto Open at Hart House, and I plan to add more later on. I also have photos from other chess events to add over time. And of course, others are welcome to post photos here, too.

Each of the images I post below has a link to its Flickr page. Any chess-related pictures that I post on Flickr are kept in this set of photos, which you can also view as a slideshow (best seen with your browser in full-screen mode).

Note: I reserve copyright on these photos, but they can be downloaded for personal non-commercial use (e.g. if you're in one and want to save or print it) -- just click on "All Sizes" button above the photo on Flickr, and select a size. For any commercial or professional use of these photos, please contact me.

As mentioned, I hope to post more photos here over time.
    Last edited by David Farrant; Friday, 16th April, 2010, 10:22 PM.

Re: Chess Photos

Wow, these are some awesome photos
    Makes me want to take up a new hobby :)

Comment

they seem a little dark

Comment

The darkness adds artistic value; they look great...

Comment

This is world class photography! Karsh could be proud to have taken some of them. Please do more - with names when posted on ChessTalk. Hope you will do the Canadian Open too.:)

Comment

David Farrant, the first picture looks more like from the studio :) How did the original shot look?
            Share more your chess art ;)
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Sunday, 11th April, 2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

These are great pictures, David!

Keep up the good work!

Mei
              ________
              Bondage Anal
              Last edited by Mei Chen Lee; Thursday, 24th March, 2011, 12:48 AM.

Comment

David,

I really like your use of lead room with two subjects in photo #6. Did you ever take any training?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm not ready to be the next Karsh, but I take photos almost wherever I go, including at chess events, and some of them turn out fairly well. (And yes, Vlad, I hope to take some shots at the Canadian Open). I am a very poor chess player, so I might as well post some of the better photos here.

Hart House is a fantastic place, in general, for a chess event, and for photography. The light in that room was very challenging, with wide variations in light and dark. I was only shooting briefly on a couple of occasions, and mostly looked for players sitting in interesting light.

Zeljko: Yes, these photos are mostly dark, but that darkness makes the range of light that's there more interesting, I think... Chiaroscuro, they call this. It's much more appealing than uniform lighting under garish flourescent bulbs. :-) Of course, how dark the photos look will vary depending on your monitor, settings, eyesight, ambient lighting, etc.

Mei: Thanks, and I plan to post some photos from your Elora tournaments, too... I should have done more of them long ago. Like Hart House, the Elora Mill Inn is another fantastic venue for chess, and photography.

Garvin: No, I haven't studided photography formally; just learning from doing it, mistakes & successes, reading bits and pieces (online & magazine articles, books), posting photos online, getting feedback, and seeing what I like and don't like about others' photos. I still have plenty to learn.

Comment

More from the Toronto Open 2010 at Hart House

Some other photos from the Toronto Open: tournament games in the Great Hall...

...and skittles in the central courtyard...

-----

Again, each of the images posted links to its Flickr page. Any chess-related pictures that I post on Flickr are kept in this set of photos, which you can also view as a slideshow (best seen with your browser in full-screen mode).

I reserve copyright on these photos, but they can be downloaded for personal non-commercial use (e.g. if you're in one and want to save or print it) -- just click on "All Sizes" button above the photo on Flickr, and select a size. For any commercial or professional use of these photos, please contact me.

Comment

Re: Chess Photos (Toronto Open 2010 at Hart House)

David,

The black & white of GM Sambuev is impressive, and I especially like how the furniture and the lighting play a major role in most of the photos. You really captured a lot of interesting facial expressions (the girl in the Canada shirt is priceless!!). This is one of those occasions where you couldn't do a better job if you had to set this up in a studio... kudos!!
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: More from the Toronto Open 2010 at Hart House

These are really very good. Please keep on posting!

Comment

There are chess activities on the streets of Toronto as well (for instance on Roncesvelles Ave.).
                          Last edited by Caesar Posylek; Sunday, 18th April, 2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

David I like the photos very much, I have always been a fan of this type of photography and lack of lighting technique especially for portrait shots,
                            I was just wondering if the playing hall was really this dark but from your answer I understand that wasn't the case

Comment

Re: Chess Photos (Toronto Open 2010 at Hart House)

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                              David, The black & white of GM Sambuev is impressive
                              Surely that is Bindi Cheng and not Bator Sambuev...

Comment

Working...
                              X