2010 oca agm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 oca agm

This year's edition of the OCA AGM is approximately one month away. For those interested, we will be meeting on May 15th at Kitchener City Hall for an 11am start.

Re: 2010 oca agm - OCA Governors

It is important perhaps to note that this year, the CFC Governors elected from your Ontario region, are now also the OCA Governors from your region for 2010-11 ( due to a recent OCA restructuring motion passed by this year's 2009-10 OCA Governors ).

The new OCA Governors will be electing the new OCA Executive ( except for the four regional Vice-Presidents , who are elected by the members in the regional AGM's - again part of that recent OCA restructuring motion ).

Bob ( OCA Governor for 2010-11 from the GTCL )

( Michael - correct me if I'm wrong on this )

Comment

Re: 2010 oca agm - OCA Governors

It's also been suggested that we try having this meeting online, as a test run of the technology that would be used to webcast the CFC AGM this year. I'll be looking into that.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: 2010 oca agm

My suggestion would be to move the 2010 OCA AGM from Kitchener to Toronto, in conjunction with the 2010 Ontario Open, which is being held on the same weekend.

This important OCA meeting was for many years held together with the provincial Open championship (for example, Brantford 2004, when I attended and played in the Open), and I cannot see any good or clear reason to separate the two.

As it stands, people will have to choose between playing chess and going to the meeting. Or, perhaps it suits OCA President Chris Mallon to have the meeting and the tournament separated, as it also was last year, when the Ontario Open was in Ottawa and the OCA AGM was in Kitchener (again!), which is Mallon's home town, on the same weekend.

The OCA President should be organizing the provincial meeting for the benefit of others, not for his own convenience in attending meetings.

Comment

The AGM was de-linked several years ago from the Open. I can personally think of several reasons NOT to have it linked - the primary two being that 1) If it's during the open you need to take a bye in one round in order to participate and 2) The open is in places like Thunder Bay with 2/25 Governors attending every 4 years.

Your insinuation that I stand to benefit from it being in Kitchener is funny given that I've stated that if anyone else wants to be OCA President I'll happily not even run against them (now that Barry is banned anyway). I'm not sure what benefit I could possibly get from it?

When the topic came up last year I said that I like it this way personally, and if anyone else wants to change it they can bring a motion. Nobody did.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            The AGM was de-linked several years ago from the Open. I can personally think of several reasons NOT to have it linked - the primary two being that 1) If it's during the open you need to take a bye in one round in order to participate and 2) The open is in places like Thunder Bay with 2/25 Governors attending every 4 years.
            I'd have thought the primary reason is that chess politicians (bosses) don't play.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I'd have thought the primary reason is that chess politicians (bosses) don't play.
              How many do you know not-playing CFC (OCA) politicians?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                How many do you know not-playing CFC (OCA) politicians?
                Define "playing".

Are you talking wood pushers or dedicated tournament players?

When someone tells me only 2 from 25 governors attend the Ontario Open what else can I conclude?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  When someone tells me only 2 from 25 governors attend the Ontario Open what else can I conclude?
                  That it is time to refresh your geography knowledge :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    That it is time to refresh your geography knowledge :)
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Blame geopgraphy.

Mallon gave an extreme example and you embraced it rather than analysing like a good chess player. The suggestion the meeting be moved from Kitchener to Toronto is not unreasonable under the circumstances.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                      as it also was last year, when the Ontario Open was in Ottawa and the OCA AGM was in Kitchener (again!), which is Mallon's home town, on the same weekend
                      No true.
                      For 2009:
                      Ontario Open in Ottawa - May 16-18
                      OCA AGM in Kitchener - May 23.

Comment

Yes it was held at the OYCC last year (another official OCA event), and it is again this year.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Speculation has been swirling, and I would like to now confirm that I will be running for the OCA Presidency at the upcoming OCA AGM. I have recruited what I believe to be a strong slate of candidates, a number of which are returning. These are:

Alex Ferreira (Secretary)
                          Brett Campbell (Treasurer)
                          Patrick McDonald (Youth Coordinator)

With the addition of Regional VPs this year, I look forward to an exciting time of collaboration between the leagues. My primary goal is to re-establish some of Ontario's premiere events (which include the Ontario Closed, Ontario Junior, Ontario Women's, etc.). I also feel that our constituents are owed better service, and look forward to open communication through e-mail and our official website. Operational deficiencies, especially as they relate to league rebates, will also be taken seriously.

Comment

Since pretty much anyone with a pulse and a chequebook can get into the Canadian Closed, Canadian Women's Championship, Canadian Junior, etc. what is the point of holding provincial championships?

Personally I think the OCA has outlived its usefulness; it is simply another layer of bureaucracy.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

AGENDA FOR ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
                              May 15, 2010 – Kitchener, Ontario

Matters for the outgoing Board
                              1. Call to Order and announcement of Board members present and verification of proxies
                              2. Reading of the Minutes of the last Annual Meeting
                              3. President’s Report
                              4. Vice-President’s Report
                              5. Secretary’s Report
                              6. Treasurer’s Report
                              7. Youth Coordinator’s Report
                              8. Special Officers’ Reports
                              9. League Reports
                              10. Auditor’s Report
                              11. Other business raised by the outgoing Board
                              12. Ratification of the new members of the Board/Governors to the Chess Federation of Canada

Matters for the incoming Board
                              13. Election of Officers and Special Officers
                                • President
                                • Vice-President
                                • Treasurer
                                • Secretary
                                • Youth Coordinator
                              14. Consideration of any Special Resolutions, including proposals to amend the
                                Constitution and Bylaws
                              15. Appointment of Auditor
                              16. Review of chess activity in Ontario and proposed activity for the next fiscal year
                              17. Budget
                              18. New business
                              19. Other business
                              20. Adjournment

Comment

Working...
                              X