Niagara Falls Open 2010 Tournament Report and Results!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niagara Falls Open 2010 Tournament Report and Results!!

The 9th Annual Niagara Falls Open had 39 players this year. After all the battles, IM Artiom Samsonkin won clear 1st with 4.5, surrendering only a draw in the last round. With that draw, Mikhail Egorov wound up in a 4 way tie for 2nd. Im Chedomir Micic, Paul Gelis and Aaron Both, who won the U2000 section.
    The U1800 section also had a 3 way tie between Chris Vanderlee and two JR's, Adam Cormier and Jackie Peng. Leslie Tang, another JR, defeated Keith Wight in the last round to win the U1600. John R. Brown donated a total of 6 prizes this year, 5 for top upsets and for Top Junior. These were eligible to anyone who didn't win any of the above prizes. These were:
    1st Alex De Cal, who received Chess Master 10th Edition DVD Program
    2nd William J. Mollison, who received 10 Chess Life Magazines
    3rd Razvan Preotu, who received the book "New In Chess Collection of Opening Theory
    4th Ivan Kudelka, who received the book, "Attack and Defence in Modern Chess Tactics", by Ludek Pachman
    5th Mei Chen Lee, who received the book "Great Brilliancy Games of the Chess Masters", by Fred Reinfeld.

The Top Junior prize went to Richard Douglas, who actually finished a half point out of 2nd place.

Thanks again to the Niagara Shrine Club and manager Drew Ward for their hospitality and the hot roast beef sandwiches. Thanks to John R. Brown for his donation of the above prizes and his overall help before, during and after the tournament. I could write all day the help he provides. Thanks to Keith Wight for the use of his laptop computer, chess sets, boards and clocks. Last but not least, thanks to everyone for showing up.

Next years event will be held on April 9th & 10th at the same site.

John Erickson
    TD

Re: Niagara Falls Open 2010 Tournament Report and Results!!

Hi Eric:

Sounds like it was a great event - congratulations and best of luck with it next year !

Bob

( P.S, Now you can still run to the Governors' On-line Meeting - voting doesn't close 'til 6:00 PM on Wednesday, and the meeting at 9:00 PM !! )

Comment

Thank you John, for a weekend of very well-organised tournament! Everyone whom I have spoken with had a really good time. We appreciate the very nice playing site, the hot roast beef sandwiches (mmm? yum!), and the speediness of the start-time in each round.

The overall feel of the tournament was very professional, friendly, and welcoming.

Congratulations on another year of success and job well done!
      Mei

Last edited by Mei Chen Lee; Thursday, 24th March, 2011, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks John, for another wonderful Niagara Falls tournament. Sign me up for next year!

John's tournament has a wonderful friendly atmosphere. John has a special talent for making everyone feel welcome. :)

Comment

John,

Thank you very much for this event. It was one of my favorite Niagara Falls Opens so far.

Comment

If John Erickson's Niagara Falls friends had not stepped forward to secure the site 9 years ago we might not have continued with the venue we have .

As long as I can, I'll support this tournament each year. Next year will be our Tenth maybe we will make it a celebration and get 60 players. That may be our max but I'm sure Drew Ward would have some suggestions about seating
            to help fit us all.

Comment

Working...
            X