Saturday Blitz inovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Blitz inovation

There will be some new things happening at the Saturday Blitz.
    This coming tournament we will introduce a new scoring system: 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. This system has already been introduced in some major tournaments including next months Bosna 2010 swiss with many GMs. I believe this system will gain favour in more events in the next decades as it pays a premium for fighting chess. If two players split a two game match with two friendly draws, they get 2 points each. If they split with a win apiece, they gain 3 points each.
    In conservative Canada TDs are less likely to experiment with this system until there is overwhelming demand. So we will experiment in the not-so-important blitz events.

Also, this Saturday, we will offer a free entry to be used at a future blitz, to the player who predicts the total number of players that play. To enter this contest, simply post your prediction here in reply to this post and then come join the tourney on Saturday (April 24). Once you post your prediction, no one else may choose that number, so sign in early. Lately, we have been getting 8 to 10 entries each week. So, if you are bringing a few friends to join, adjust your prediction accordingly. The official number will be the total players at the start of round two.

Re: Saturday Blitz inovation

I would guess the number of thrown games would go up if you implemented such a scoring system in Swiss tournaments. Certainly the suspicion amongst those in contention for prizes would go up. Quick, unfought draws can be dealt with in other ways. For fighting draws, in my opinion they are every bit as legitimate as decisive encounters.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      I would guess the number of thrown games would go up if you implemented such a scoring system in Swiss tournaments. Certainly the suspicion amongst those in contention for prizes would go up. Quick, unfought draws can be dealt with in other ways. For fighting draws, in my opinion they are every bit as legitimate as decisive encounters.
      As TD of the Saturday Blitz, I plan to be vigilent in the decisive rounds. Agreeing to an early draw is not of the same flavour of offence as throwing a game. If I see that happen I will gleefully score the match 0 - 0 :)

Comment

For details on the Bosna 2010 tournament (with 38 GMs entered so far) go to >>>> http://previews.chessdom.com/bosna-chess-2010
        btw, I misspelled a word in my original post - the correct spelling is innovation
        Is anyone going to try win a free entry? First entry gets their choice of most likely number.:)

Comment

I'll guess 10. What happens if I win? Can I donate my prize? I don't live near Toronto. ;-)
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            I'll guess 10. What happens if I win? Can I donate my prize? I don't live near Toronto. ;-)
            I think to participate in a contest you should play in a tournament as well - "and then come join the tourney "

Comment

Yes, to enter contest, you must play in the tournament this Saturday. However, the winner can then donate the free entry to anyone they choose.

Comment

Working...
              X