Guelph Olympic Fundraiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guelph Olympic Fundraiser

For those interested in a day of chess, coupled with an opportunity to contribute to the funding of our representatives at the upcoming Olympiad, Guelph will be hosting a one-day CFC-rated tournament on Saturday, May 8th. Games will be on the fourth floor of the University Centre, with a 30/30 time control (30 minutes + 30 second increment) in place. The resulting schedule will be as follows:

Round 1 - 10am
    Lunch - 12pm
    Round 2 - 1pm
    Round 3 - 3pm

The entry fee will be $20/player, and Hal Bond will serve as arbiter. Given the nature of the event, however, no prizes will be offered, as all funds will be donated to our national teams. As well, due to limited space, the number of available slots has been capped at 30 players, so I would ask that those interested please preregister with me at mvonkeit@uoguelph.ca. In the meantime, enjoy the remainder of April!

Re: Guelph Olympic Fundraiser

I hope you have a spot left for me! :)

I remember the fundraising efforts of 2008, and David Cohen's target of getting a donour list of 100 CFC members. The final tally was 118!

Let's see if we can beat that number for 2010! :D

Comment

Entries have steadily flowed in over the past few days, but 2/3 of our available seats remain unclaimed. For those looking to lock horns with Rob "The Gash" Gashgarian, the formidable heavyweight amongst our entrants (weighing in a full 8 rating points ahead of Hal "Board of Ordnance" Bond), send me a message soon.

Current List of Registrants:

1. Rob Gashgarian (1885)
      2. Hal Bond (1877) - Round 3 Bye
      3. Tim Knechtel (1816)
      4. Michael Zaghi (1782)
      5. John Jordan (1764)
      6. Bob Gillanders (1724)
      7. Lee Hendon (1724)
      8. Michael von Keitz (1676)
      9. Matthew Mills (1482)
      10. Chris Osborne (1178)

Comment

Is 30+30 an "active" or normally rated TC?

Comment

Without the increment, it would be an active time control; however, with the increment, it falls into the realm of regular time controls.

Comment

14 players present, and $300 raised! I would like to thank all of those who attended, and hope you might support other possible fundraising initiatives in future. Now, to the results:

Departing from what some may have expected, we broke the entrants into three quads, each of which played a round robin. Hal Bond and I were the odd men out, and opted for a 3-game match. In the top group, Michael Zaghi came clear first with 2.5/3, narrowly edging Rob Gashgarian, who tallied 2/3. In the second group, Bob Gillanders only needed to score 2/3 to secure his own first-place finish, leaving each of Zoltan Cservenyi and Lee Hendon a half-point behind him, after they fought to a draw in the final round. Mei Chen Lee and Nicholas Jackson split the top finish in the third group with 2.5/3, after a tough draw in their individual encounter. As for Hal and myself, suffice it to say that all games were decisive and interesting.

The moral of the story, as always, is that fun was had by all. More importantly, we did so while managing to make our own small contribution to what each of us truly believes is a worthy cause.

Comment

Michael von Keitz is too modest. He destroyed me with white in our first game and I returned the favour in game two. In game three Michael experienced the Black side of a Fried Liver for the first time and made the defense look easy. Well done Michael! My rating was too high anyway.

I'll echo Michael's thank you to the players from Brantford, Mississauga, Perry Sound, Toronto and Guelph who came out to support our Olympic Teams.

Comment

Working...
              X