Thavandiran vs Kleinman
      Calugar vs Cheng
      Martchenko vs Gusev
      Sapozhnikov vs Farine
      Itkin vs Gelis
      Mahoney vs Xu
      Wang 1 bye

All games updated on www.chess5.com
      Including Round 8 games and one Round 9 game that just finished.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Re: Canadian Junior Pairings

Regional representation be damned! This could have been a 10 player round-robin.
        Clearly any player below 2,000 rating had no chance. Even if some 1900 player scored an upset - so what? In the future the tournament should be a round-robin with the number of players detrermined by the number of rounds available.
        I recall when I was the organiser/director of the Toronto Closed in 2000 or 2001
        I was pressed by a parent to include a promising young player in the tournament - Alina Sviridovitch. The father insisted that she be included for the good of Canadian chess. I pointed out that the Toronto Closed was not a training tournament for promising players and that she would have good competition in the reserves section. The father would hear none of that - Alina must play in the Closed! I refused to back down. The father continued to push his daughter to play above her level for the next year or so. Finally she dropped out of chess alltogether.
        The lesson here is: You do not develop young players by forcing them to compete at the highest level. You first give them a taste of success! Chess excellence is part perspiration and part inspiration! Let the young player enjoy the game!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Regional representation be damned! This could have been a 10 player round-robin.
          Clearly any player below 2,000 rating had no chance. Even if some 1900 player scored an upset - so what? In the future the tournament should be a round-robin with the number of players detrermined by the number of rounds available.
          I recall when I was the organiser/director of the Toronto Closed in 2000 or 2001
          I was pressed by a parent to include a promising young player in the tournament - Alina Sviridovitch. The father insisted that she be included for the good of Canadian chess. I pointed out that the Toronto Closed was not a training tournament for promising players and that she would have good competition in the reserves section. The father would hear none of that - Alina must play in the Closed! I refused to back down. The father continued to push his daughter to play above her level for the next year or so. Finally she dropped out of chess alltogether.
          The lesson here is: You do not develop young players by forcing them to compete at the highest level. You first give them a taste of success! Chess excellence is part perspiration and part inspiration! Let the young player enjoy the game!
          Hi Vlad,

I can't speak for all juniors and parents out there, and I am sure some of what you just described does take place. However for this tournament, that was not my feeling at all. The U2000 players seemed to be under no pressure and enjoying some high quality games and the great atmosphere. Parents came by and seemed to support their children and love for the game, while understanding that this is a very competitive event.

Alex F.

Comment

Re: Round 9 Results

Round 9 Results:

Thavandiran 1-0 Kleinman
            Calugar 0-1 Cheng
            Martchenko 1-0 Gusev
            Sapozhnikov 1-0 Farine
            Itkin 1-0 Gelis
            Mahoney 0-1 Xu

Congrats to Shiyam Thavandiran for winning the Canadian Junior Chess Championship ! Shiyam finished with 7.0/9, half a point ahead of Bindi Cheng and a full point ahead of Alexander Martchenko.

I will post a more detailed report later or tomorrow.

*All* games have now been posted on www.chess5.com

A lot of interesting chess all around. It's a shame that pairings/results chesstalk threads have so many views, yet actual games' views on chess5 have only about a dozen.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Shiyam is fighting for the title

(Probably at that moment Michael Kleinman was thinking about Nb2)

The joy of the win - the analysis after the game:

Comment

Working...
              X