One and only Anand-Topalov match...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One and only Anand-Topalov match...

Extremely interesting game going on today; go to the match web site and have a look. Anand should win or draw, he has a knight for 2 pawns, one of which is on the 7th.

Very good chess is being played in this match....

Re: One and only Anand-Topalov match...

Another draw. Anand could not figure out how to make headway. The match is now 4 to 3 for Anand. First to 6.5 wins.

My gut tells me that Fritz will find a win for Anand after 10 hours of deep analysis on a supercomputer...

Comment

Duplicate...
      Last edited by Paul Beckwith; Monday, 3rd May, 2010, 01:14 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
        Another draw. Anand could not figure out how to make headway. The match is now 4 to 3 for Anand. First to 6.5 wins.

My gut tells me that Fritz will find a win for Anand after 10 hours of deep analysis on a supercomputer...
        I am not so sure... there were many opportunities for either player to lose that game, but a draw was certainly a very reasonable outcome.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Topalov won today...

The Match is tied at 4 all now. Very exciting chess and unbalanced games with both players taking lots of chances.

Comment

Paul was not alone in concluding that a draw was the inevitable outcome.:) After Anand's excellent h4 that should have been the result. Unfortunately, a few moves later, the champion found just about the only move that would lose, Bc3, and it was all over. Fantastic, fighting chess at the highest level.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              Paul was not alone in concluding that a draw was the inevitable outcome.:) After Anand's excellent h4 that should have been the result. Unfortunately, a few moves later, the champion found just about the only move that would lose, Bc3, and it was all over. Fantastic, fighting chess at the highest level.
              Bc3 was not a move played by Black, in fact Anand had the white-square Bishop. So I'm not sure what move of Anand's was just about the only move that could lose; the annotator Alexandra Kosteniuk didn't mention any such losing move on Anand's part. She wrote: "The most terrible thing that White can continue torturing his opponent for a long time, he can move his pieces from one side to another. He can always switch from the plan with the king on h6 to the king on e5 while time is running against Anand. That is why Anand resigns. He decided to give up probably he just didn't see how to defend and prefered not to continue this game. It seems that the plan g5, Bg7, g6 is too strong and Anand didn't see how to defend."

Personally, I don't consider this game as interesting chess, even though Anand was fighting for a draw. Again, Kosteniuk had a better description: "To tell you the truth, although the match of such players are always awaiting with big interest and enthusiasm, the strategy for this kind of matches nowadays are rather uninteresting. Players, like Anand or Topalov, or even Kramnik are trying to minimize their risk and play positions with a small plus for White and try to hold a draw in boring and slightly worse endgames. A match is not a tournament, even if you win with the score +1 it's enough to get the title. This makes players play differently, not in an open and exciting style they usually play in tournament, but rather in very academical and unrisky ways."

Game 4 was a very notable exception.
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Bc3 = Bc6. A common notational error for those who learnt descriptive first (and even for those who didn't).

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                  Bc3 = Bc6. A common notational error for those who learnt descriptive first (and even for those who didn't).
                  I make that kind of mistake all the time since, having used descriptive notation for about fifteen years before switching, algebraic notation is not my native chess tongue.

Rybka definitely goes from a slight plus for white to a loss for black about three seconds after Bc6 is entered.

Comment

My Fritz program goes from a " clear " advantage for Topalov, to a " winning " advantage for him, on Anand's fatal 54...Bc6?!.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      My Fritz program goes from a " clear " advantage for Topalov, to a " winning " advantage for him, on Anand's fatal 54...Bc6?!.
                      Well so actually does Rybka on my machine - I misremembered that bit. In any event it goes right to +- as soon as 54 ..., Bc6 is played. That suggests that it isn't that deep. The move is a blunder for the concrete reason that it prevents the Bishop from taking part in the defense of the "h" pawn at a crucial moment.

Susan Polgar's site expressed amazement that Anand resigned there, but later gave the correct continuation. The Chessdom site still has this nonsensical note posted:

He decided to give up probably he just didn't see how to defend and preferred not to continue this game.
                      Actually I am quite sure that Anand saw the reason he was lost quite concretely. Heck, if I resigned every time I "didn't see how to defend" I'd have a lot less points than I have!

So I conclude that at least two GMs didn't really understand why Anand resigned at the time he did. Of course when I watched I didn't understand either, but it gives me some comfort to know that I was not alone!

Comment

Stephen is, as always, correct. I often make that transpositional mistake in my own notations: in either case, it is BQb3, n'est-ce pas. The losing move was Bc6 which deprives the h-pawn of protection.
                        My own untutored guess is that Topalov successfully followed the strategy I believe Shereshevsky described of just hanging around, probing here and there, waiting on the off chance his opponents makes a mistake, then pouncing. He had nothing to lose and even if he did not win he would be able to torture the Champion for hours. Anand, for his part, in a position which most commentators (including computers) considered drawn may have let his concentration slip for a moment.
                        The result may not have been a brilliancy but it is a superb example of fighting chess.

Comment

Any odds on who is most likely to win the match; which is tied at 4:4 (today is a rest day).
                          I pick Anand as the 3:2 favourite.

I am rooting for Anand primarily because I think that he is the nicer human being. I did not like Topalov insisting on a no speaking rule during the match, it shows that he is too uptight and tense, a typical type A non-personable trait...

Comment

3:2? Okay, I'll take a piece of your action. So if I put $500 on Topalov, you will put $750 on Anand? We can get Brad Thomson to hold the money. I'd wager more, but I'm married now and have to be conservative. ;-)
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I would feel bad taking your money.

A better idea would be to have the loser pay the money to the CFC as a donation. And knock a few zeroes of the amount (I am not a gambler)!

Comment

Working...
                              X