• Show
Clear All

• Chess: The dangerous game

Interesting story in last Saturday's Gazette:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...293/story.html

Re: Chess: The dangerous game

Thanks for posting this link...

I especially like the quote:

I missed the all-embracing qualities of the game itself - a mixture of art, science (mathematics, spatial thinking, game-strategy, strategic psychology) and blood sport. The bleeding starts in your mind and leaves your body totally drained. (It's been estimated that grandmasters expend more energy in a five-hour session than footballers playing two back-to-back games.)

No wonder I have gained 10 pounds in the last 3-4 months, I have not been getting enough chess exercise. I thought that it was school...

Comment

Great piece. But who is this guy? Not in the CFC or FIDE rating lists.
      In any event, he certainly captures the spirit of the "game".

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Great piece. But who is this guy? Not in the CFC or FIDE rating lists.
        In any event, he certainly captures the spirit of the "game".
        Hi Gordon,

Juan was the excellent music critic at the Montreal Star and then the Montreal Gazette. At some point he moved to L.A. I believe...but came back...I remember being at his house one evening...he said the difference between Montreal women and California women was that...if you smile at a lady in Montreal...she will smile back...in L.A. she will give you a nasty stare :). This was a long time ago so I don't remember all the details...but there was another story about sharing a restaurant table with someone you had never met...

He is from the generation that grew up with Bobby Fischer. There was a cafe in Montreal at 3619 St-Denis called Cafe En Passant (located less than 100 metres from the present CMA headquarters). It was open from noon until 5 am every day. It was not uncommon for many of us to play until closing...which was also when the Metro would start rolling...and then make our way home and get some sleep :). It was a hangout for chess folks, artists, and all kinds of interesting folks :). He may have played in a few FQE rated events...I believe his playing strength was around 1700 in those days.

Today Juan, who I have not seen for a long long time...is doing freelance stuff and obviously...has become a regular at the relatively new "in place" for chessplayers in Montreal...Cafe Pi on St. Laurent. Thanks to Arpad Kiss who is the owner of this establishment for providing a place for the coffee house player.

Larry

Comment

Working...
        X