Four cheap ideas that might improve Canadian chess a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four cheap ideas that might improve Canadian chess a bit

Below is a short list of ideas which are arguably cheap to implement for organizers at all levels of organized chess in Canada, bearing in mind that money is tight (unless the Chess Foundation were to be raided, in the case of the CFC - a possibility most people seem to be against). These ideas might improve Canadian chess ever so slightly, IF at least some of them were extensively put into effect. The 'IF' is the most important part, since the following ideas are hardly new:

1) Proactively advertise at low rates where possible (ideally for free);

2) Provide a list of chess teachers prominently on chess websites;

3) Organize team leagues/championships/internet matches;

4) Provide newsletters or event reports (including for team chess), distributed by email, on websites, or possibly handed out at events or clubs.

Let's take these ideas and discuss them as they may be applied to the various levels of organized chess. For the sake of example, let's take the four levels familiar to me in my case. There is my club, the RACC in Ottawa. It has a website, and requires CFC membership to play in its mostly rated events. There is my regional league, the Eastern Ontario Chess Association. It has a website, and is affiliated under my provincial chess association, the Ontario Chess Association, which also has a website (being upgraded and thus under repair at the moment). It in turn is of course affiliated to the Chess Federation of Canada, with its website, and email newsletter, which is not so cheap to produce, but cheaper than the old print magazine.

1) In the case of the RACC club, cheap proactive advertising (e.g. not just hoping passively that people will visit a website) that is not being pursued at the moment afaik includes the use of free advertising on my local community cable channel (my old club in Brampton, years ago at least, used to use such advertising, which pulled in 1 or 2 new members a year on average - in a smaller city than Ottawa). On the other hand, newspaper advertising can be expensive, and even relatively cheaper classified ads are quite possibly less effective than free community channel advertising. A pleasing thought is advertising on Ottawa city buses (inside, or on the outside), but its price ($13 a day I last read, presumably per bus) and the low chance of real success probably makes it a fantasy. Posting chess club advertising in public buildings such as libraries when permitted can be a form of free advertising, but probably it's less effective than free community channel advertising.

The Eastern Ontario Chess Association (EOCA) could proactively advertise it's chess tournaments, if not itself. By proactively, I mean not just on chess websites, or by emailing CFC members who have played in previous EOCA events. For example, the free advertising provided by Ottawa's local TV community channel might be used, if it isn't already. The purpose of proactive advertising for the EOCA would be to get more new players (and new CFC members) for its events, instead of relying quite as heavily on existing CFC members to participate. Most EOCA events are held in Ottawa at the moment, namely at the RACC on weekends, as part of the EOCA tournament Grand Prix schedule of events.

The Ontario Chess Association (OCA) and CFC could, similar to the EOCA, proactively advertise their events as much as is feasible. Sadly, after shedding $100+K not so long ago in a short number of years, the CFC now is not in a position to even dream of doing what I proposed long ago, namely have a ten city newspaper full page ad blitz, with a budget of $1000 per city, proactively advertising local chess club addresses and Canadian chess websites, in the interest of a membership drive (coordinated with simultaneous nationwide simultaneous exhibitions, ideally);

2) Providing a prominent list of chess teachers on Canadian chess sites at all levels, particularly at club level, should be a no-brainer. The CMA website provides a link for its own teachers, although they're not for adult students (except perhaps in the case of private lessons?). The RACC club, for example, might benefit in terms of more new members in the long run if it puts a list of local chess teachers on its website. Local chess teachers could be passively (on the website) or proactively asked to provide their contact details. After taking chess lessons for as long as they like, people may be more likely to want to join or re-join a relatively expensive club to [re-]join such as the RACC. I used to think joining a casual club somewhere in Ottawa, (if any would exist) might serve as a gateway for newbies to graduate to a serious club like the RACC, but a casual club might be low key in any mention of the RACC, if only in order to keep their own members.

The EOCA could have a similar interest in listing chess teachers in the EOCA region on its website, particularly since much EOCA activity occurs just in Ottawa. The OCA and CFC would have less of a priority listing chess teachers, perhaps, since for one thing they provide links to regional or provincial leagues/associations' websites;

3) More team leagues/championships/internet matches can only brighten the Canadian chess scene. The RACC is currently examining the idea of team events, after many years without such in Ottawa. The RACC Constitution in fact makes clear that the RACC takes it upon itself to foster chess in the nation's capital, co-operating with other clubs if possible. The EOCA would have a similar interest in seeing team matches, in Ottawa or in the EOCA region as a whole (there used to be some between Ottawa and Kingston decades ago, I believe). The OCA did at one time or another at least have the occasional Ontario team championship. At the national level there are currently stirrings of interest in team chess, particularly by internet;

4) Providing newsletters or event reports (including for team chess), distributed by email, on websites, or possibly handed out at events, is something that can be done cheaply at the local club level, or for local team leagues for that matter. I used to produce a very short newsletter for my old Brampton club, and one for my old team league, back in the 1980s. The club newsletter had current club tournament standings, a game and a quiz, with answers provided in the following week's newsletter. The team league newsletter was monthly, and it had team standings and a game or two. A newsletter, even if just handouts of annotated games, can't help but brighten things up for a club or a team league, and possibly be used as an attraction to pull in new players, but of course the trick is to find a reliable volunteer (as I was) or someone who does it cheaply.

The RACC, EOCA and OCA as mentioned do have websites, and naturally these could be used to post games, if not newsletters/reports, if only there is the interest to do so. The CFC of course already has a newsletter par excellence, albeit not cheaply.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Four cheap ideas that might improve Canadian chess a bit

...You wanna advertise some chess?! Oh, I dunno, maybe next time there's a tournament, instead of wimping out and meekly putting up the pairings on the wall and requesting that people start their games, we have some ACTION?

You finish your game. You walk out into another room. BAM. Ben "The Brawler" Daswani vs Stephen "FIGHT ALL NIGHT" Wright in a classic match of chessboxing. Yeah, I bet you want to go play in a chess tournament now, don't you?

Comment

Hmm ... so I have to learn the Marquess of Queensberry rules as well as the FIDE laws of chess?

Comment

Oh, I think that you already know them... {+_{+}

Comment

I'm not about to f... up a nail, Lucas. Cotillion is fast approaching.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
            ...You wanna advertise some chess?! Oh, I dunno, maybe next time there's a tournament, instead of wimping out and meekly putting up the pairings on the wall and requesting that people start their games, we have some ACTION?

You finish your game. You walk out into another room. BAM. Ben "The Brawler" Daswani vs Stephen "FIGHT ALL NIGHT" Wright in a classic match of chessboxing. Yeah, I bet you want to go play in a chess tournament now, don't you?
            Hmmm

In all seriousness, you might be on to something, though you might have to drop the concept of chessboxing for now, since it's hardly widespread .

I do know offhand of one or two players with colourful nicknames to match their colourful styles. Alberta's 'Mad dog' Nigel Fullbrook is an example, though I don't know if he plays anymore.

If such players are willing to lend their names to Canadian chess advertising, whether for ordinary events or special matches (even throwing in well considered trash talk) then it's a way to go.

Any more suggestions :D?

Comment

There is an 800 lb. gorilla in the room that everyone seems to be tiptoeing around....the Chess'n Math Association! What is the CFC going to do about it!

The need for an accommodation with the CMA would seem to be blindingly obvious. Who is profitable, who supplies the chess teachers and who makes money from the equipment sales? It's the CMA! The CFC used to do it but apparently refused a split with CMA director Larry Bevand and so it has now lost out completely.

And a related point - very little $ is coming into the CFC these days, it seems to this outside observer. One way to increase sales would be a paper magazine - it's much more portable than a web site, and doesn't need a computer! But Canada now has no paper chess magazine, only a web presence. Kudos to the people who are working on the web site but really, it doesn't compete with a small, cheap and easily portable CFC Bulletin.

Well, that's my 2 cents. I can't imagine that I would be the first person to raise these issues but really, isn't this something to think about!

Comment

Hi Peter:

The print magazine was running up part of the CFC's deficits before it got axed.

The CFC Webzine was a great disappointment, and it got mothballed - it doesn't exist anymore.

The CFC now has a great newsletter, Canadian Chess News ( do you get it? ), and it is e-mailed to all members - they don't have to go to any website - it's in their in-box. For those wanting to cut down trees, they can easily print it out.

The commission arrangement for chess books with Amazon, and the contract fulfilment arrangement with FEN for equipment and supplies, are what CFC can handle, though what they bring in is admittedly modest. We were losing big bucks trying to do both on our own.

Bob

Comment

Hi Peter

Not all Canadian chess teachers are necessarily (currently) CMA ones. Here in Ottawa, for example, I know of one inactive master who teaches chess to adults as well as juniors, and who is not with the CMA (or the CFC). I believe there are a number of other teachers who were formerly teaching with the CMA.
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 5th May, 2010, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Kevin; in my opinion the best way to get chess to grow in Canada is to get more adult females playing.

I was at a pub in Ottawa a few nights back playing blitz with our CFC president Eric and Johnny Upper; the waitress was extremely interested in the games; I explained the moves to her while El presidente and John were battling it out. Later a women (Carleton student in psychology; I told her a study of the chess subculture would make a good doctoral thesis) who was sitting at a nearby table came over at least twice and was also interested in watching. She was captivated by the game; her boyfriend had to come over and drag her away from the chess action!

In my opinion, if we got females interested in the game the membership would skyrocket. Look at the popularity of Kevin Spraggetts site; do you think it is the chess puzzles and games on it.

Perhaps I should run for CFC president with this as my main platform chess promotional idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                      Kevin; in my opinion the best way to get chess to grow in Canada is to get more adult females playing.

In my opinion, if we got females interested in the game the membership would skyrocket. Look at the popularity of Kevin Spraggetts site; do you think it is the chess puzzles and games on it.

Perhaps I should run for CFC president with this as my main platform chess promotional idea?
                      Hi Paul

The EOCA Annual Meeting is tonight at the RA (following the RA club Annual Meeting at 7:30pm). At this meeting there will be the election of our EOCA CFC Governors (besides the EOCA Executive). If you are elected as a CFC Governor, you could also later run for CFC President (or CFC Woman's Co-ordinator - a Non Executive position, however) as well if you chose, and you could take your time between now and the CFC Annual Meeting this summer to decide whether to run for CFC President.

Someone asked me to run as an EOCA CFC Governor, for fear there will not be enough volunteers, but I am reluctant, so your at least running as an EOCA CFC Governor would save me the decision, if you let me know online today asap (by posting on this thread, or by chesstalk private message if you wish). I'm not sure I can contribute much as a CFC Governor, if I ever really did, but at least by having the position filled the EOCA's interests would be better represented by having all the Governors we are entitled to in the case of a contentious issue coming up.

A further issue for me might be the online meeting system. If live meetings are held on weekends, I think I might not be able to participate, at least from my own home, since on weekends I lend my computer to a family relative who visits both afternoons. That's besides my possibly having burned my bridges with many Governors due to my previous harsh criticisms of the CFC online, and my resignations as CFC and OCA CFC Governor. If I ever became a CFC Governor again, I might well need to be able to bear the foulest of bad weather with quiet dignity to deserve a second chance, at least in my own mind.

If you decide to run as a CFC Governor tonight, try to let me know. I could then have one more good reason to come to the EOCA meeting, and might run as a CFC Governor if you don't rule out running as CFC Prez, i.e. you are giving it serious thought. Then I could at least consider lending you (by proxy) my vote for CFC President (or CFC Woman's Co-ordinator if you choose to go for that) at the CFC Annual Meeting this summer.

Comment

I was at a pub in Ottawa a few nights back playing blitz with our CFC president Eric and Johnny Upper; the waitress was extremely interested in the games; I explained the moves to her while El presidente and John were battling it out. Later a women (Carleton student in psychology; I told her a study of the chess subculture would make a good doctoral thesis) who was sitting at a nearby table came over at least twice and was also interested in watching. She was captivated by the game; her boyfriend had to come over and drag her away from the chess action!

Women drinking in a pub are interested in LOTS of things they wouldn't be interested in sober. They might even find YOU interesting, Paul! :D

I think this idea would really work if you had the women listening on private earphones to their favorite dance music, and when it's not their turn to move, they get up from their chair and busta move.

This way, you not only increase membership, you also bring in spectators!
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Paul, go for it! You have my vote. :):):)

Comment

I would have to think about it a while, and get approval from my real boss first...

When I alluded to it a few months ago she muttered something about renovating the basement, fixing the cottage, getting another degree, and crazy chess players; I couldn't even make out everything else that she muttered. In my feeble defense of chess players I reminded her that we first met in Larry's CMA store in Toronto, and the winner of the world championship got a million dollars.

By the way, would you run for VP if I ran for prez? I"ll have to have a chess party soon in Oshawa to discuss things!

Comment

I would have to think about it a while...

By the way, would you run for VP if I ran for prez? I"ll have to have a chess party soon in Oshawa to discuss things!
                              Tell you what. I'll show up at the EOCA Annual Meeting tonight.

If you show up tonight and volunteer to become a Governor, I'll definitely volunteer to be one as well.

I'll also see if anyone else who shows up is thinking of running as CFC Prez (a long shot, I know :)).

If we are both elected as EOCA CFC Governors, we can talk about your quoted proposal in the Fieldhouse Bar & Grill after the meeting's over, and/or talk about it later. In other words I'm not completely ruling out being your running mate, though I hope I'm not suddenly promoted to CFC Prez should you step down. That might seriously stretch my talents and limited resources .

Comment

Working...
                              X