Question about DGT boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about DGT boards

I was looking at the different products that DGT offers, but I've never used one myself. I have seen the set used in tournaments when they are connected to a clock and a computer.

I'm just wondering if the DGT board must be connected to a computer in order to record moves, or if there is a way that it records moves without a computer connection.

If anyone knows the answer, please reply.

Thanks! Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Re: Question about DGT boards

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
    I was looking at the different products that DGT offers, but I've never used one myself. I have seen the set used in tournaments when they are connected to a clock and a computer.

I'm just wondering if the DGT board must be connected to a computer in order to record moves, or if there is a way that it records moves without a computer connection.

If anyone knows the answer, please reply.

Thanks! Jordan
    Unless there is a new design out, the DGT board has to be connected to a computer to record moves. The older boards connected to a computer via a simple serial bus interface. The DGT clock (IIRC) piggy-backs on this interface. The players can just play, record their own moves however they want, but the connected computer will have the position and know the time on the clock (and can analyse since the software used to connect is usually Fritz or somesuch).

The Monroi devices use a different approach: generally speaking they are an electronic scoresheet which allows the current position and moves to be broadcast wirelessly.

From an Organizer's viewpoint the Monroi devices are better since as far as I know, multiple Monroi devices can broadcast to a single computer, and from there the games can be put on the internet through the central Monroi server (or however else you want).

From a player's standpoint, the DGT board is much better. You don't need to get used to using the Monroi device. The "interface" from the players standpoint is invisible. They just make moves and press the clock.

From a TD standpoint, things are a wee bit different. There are a lot of players who are distrustful when their opponent whips out the Monroi device since it looks like a PDA. Secondly, I've seen a recent controversy where a player using the Monroi device frequently "recorded" his move, thought for a bit, then did a "takeback" in the device. He didn't move a piece and didn't press the clock. He would only do that after he was satisfied with the move choice. (Note, the Monroi device wasn't analysing or suggesting lines, just showing the new position as if he had made a move.)

The problem of course is that the Monroi display temporarily showed the "trial" position. I've never been fond of the change in the FIDE regulation that prohibits recording moves before you make them. Doing this "hmmm, maybe this move" routine and writing it on a paper scoresheet doesn't help much IMHO. But when you can instantly see the new position after "trying" a move, it's much different.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve!!

I did find something on the site where it said the unit will store up to the last 500 moves, and you can somehow get a memory dump of the 500 moves and use that to piece together you last few games. Every time you make a move, the new move replaces the oldest of the 500 moves.

That's all I read, I would guess there is more detailed info in the instruction book.

The problem with the MonRoi device is that it's way too expensive, unless it's come down considerably since they first released it. I think I remember it being like $500. The DGT board, set, and clock comes together in a package for less than $200 I believe... I don't know the Euro -> CDN exchange rate off hand...
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

The price on the DGT site is $749 for the "regular" board, and $999 for the Bluetooth wireless board. (clock not included).

http://www.dgtnorthamerica.com/

Monroi sells for $359 (the personal device only - a "hub" to connect one (or many) to a central computer "live" is $489).

http://www.monroi.com/products/all-m...-products.html

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
          Unless there is a new design out, the DGT board has to be connected to a computer to record moves.

The Monroi devices use a different approach: generally speaking they are an electronic scoresheet which allows the current position and moves to be broadcast wirelessly.

From an Organizer's viewpoint the Monroi devices are better since as far as I know, multiple Monroi devices can broadcast to a single computer, and from there the games can be put on the internet through the central Monroi server (or however else you want).

From a player's standpoint, the DGT board is much better. You don't need to get used to using the Monroi device. The "interface" from the players standpoint is invisible. They just make moves and press the clock.
          A tournament with DGT has to combine all the lines from the boards that could be a tripping hazard. There can also be breaks in the wire or a power failure.

The DGT boards are a problem for the TD as happened in the Canadian Closed in Toronto when a move didn't register, perhaps being on the line between two squares. For people watching the game, it justs stops and has to be reconstructed move-by-move. However, it is better than Monroi for time-control blitzing if the moves register correctly. For some players the Monroi device can take longer than filling in a scoresheet. But it doesn't take long to get use to the Monroi, both players can sign it and receive a print-out of their game.

I don't know which system has the better software for broadcasting to demo monitors and on the Internet.

Comment

Thanks Hugh! I was looking at the European site. The Kramnik kit I was looking at must include just a plain wood board because the set, board and clock is only 100 Euros...

Comment

Working...
            X