Electronic Chess Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electronic Chess Clock

I have not had a chess clocks in some 20 years, at that time the analog clock was king. I somehow lost that clock, and had no intention of replacing it, since I had given up tournament chess due to a neurological disease which is adversely affected by stress. After some pressure from some some "friends" I agreed to consider entering into the state's 2011 Senior Open giving me 1 year to answer the basic question: can I still play at a tournament level or will stress simply destroy my game?? In preparation I bought a Chronos button clock. The first thing I did was to change the button colors to orange so that the clock stands out, and make it easy to spot as mine.

Why a Chronos?!? The Answer is: A) It is built like a tank B) The low slung center of gravity makes it almost impossible for me to knock over C) The Chronos, like it or not, seems to be the accepted de facto standard for digital chess clocks used in the U.S. In the event I can play, and at most plan to enter only one tournament each year -- ie the Senior Open -- and have no intention of entering into a FIDE event, the Chronos became a logical choice.

Like many people I found the manual to be less than helpful, and had to spend a few hours learning how to "program" the %@&# thing. Sigh: :( How I miss my Ol' BHB analog clock with the expanded 5 minute scale. It was a breeze to set, and did not require a Ph.D. in computer programing to set, even if it did not do everything including cook dinner for me.:). Since the chess world has marched on, and digital clocks are now almost required, I got one that can take some abuse. I have preset it with six different time controls that I am most likely to use including the one/s that would be used in the Senior Open. I now use it even in my skittles games for practice in using a clock so clock usage becomes second nature to me, and not a source of stress.

While the Chronos is not the cheapest clock out there -- that's an understatement -- like my 'ol analog BHB, this clock will last for ever. Unless you plan to enter into a FIDE event, if you can afford it, I find the Chronos is the best designed, built, and versatile clock on the market.

Comment

Working...
    X