GM Torre Simul at the Caglary Chess Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Torre Simul at the Caglary Chess Club

GM Torre is giving a simul tonight at the club. It was organized on very short notice. We are lucky he even made it as the Canadian Embassy gave him some grief getting his visa, literally at the last moment before his flight departed for Canada.

17 players have taken up the challenge. Only two boards done at this time, Torre won both of them. Bob Macfie will be doing a full report which will appear in the next issue of CCN. The press was out in full force and you can catch some of the coverage by watching CTV Calgary tonight at 11:30 Mountain time. The Calgary Sun also sent a reporter who played in the event while having it filmed as well. A video will be available on their website in the next week or so, I will post the link when it's available. A Phillipine radio station was also on hand to do an interview with Eugene. CHQR 770 radio also did an interview with me yesterday, part of it aired today, the rest will be aired on Thursday. The place is packed with media, players and spectators, a great site to see.

More later.
    Last edited by Tony Ficzere; Wednesday, 19th May, 2010, 12:52 PM.

Re: GM Torre Simul at the Calgary Chess Club

After 3 hours, Eugene finished with 13 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss.

Congratulations to Sean Perron for his fine win against the GM. It seems that Torre couldn't beat our Alberta girls as both Nicka Kalaydina and Adie Todd managed to draw their encounters. The other draw was against none other than Roy "Diehard" Yearwood. This was probably the most interesting and fun simul I never played in.

Wait for the Macfie report in the upcoming issue of Canadian Chess News.
    Last edited by Tony Ficzere; Wednesday, 19th May, 2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Re: GM Torre Simul at the Caglary Chess Club

Is that somewhere near Ednomton? No wonder you need Mr.X!

David :-)

Comment

Exactly! Thank god for Mr. X.

They don't call me typo Tony for nothing!

Comment

GM Eugene Torre has been honoured with a 'Lifetime Achievement Award' by the Asian Chess Federation.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07...s-eugene-torre

Comment

Working...
          X