Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Team

Hi everybody,

As you might know, the Canadian Olympic teams have been selected.
    We are as green as ever, on both the National and the Women's team.

The National team will consist of the following players (FIDE):
    1. GM Mark Bluvshtein, 2583
    2. IM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon, 2488
    3. IM Leonid Gerzhoy, 2469
    4. IM Nikolay Noritsyn, 2403
    5. IM Artiom Samsonkin, 2397

Many of you might not know the players personally. I do.
    It is unfortunate that some of our top players are unable to play.
    Every Olympiad I have played, Pascal Charbonneau was sitting on a board nearby. The last three Olympiads, I was roommates with Igor Zugic.
    The two players will be missed.
    Kevin Spraggett is a Canadian chess legend. He would add a lot to the team. In the 2002 Olympiad, Kevin helped me a lot with my opening preparation and was a big reason for my success. I hope he will be able to join our future teams.

This Olympiad will be different. We are all young. Everybody on this team has the potential to become a GM.
    Now a bit on each of the players.

Thomas is one of the most solid players Canada has ever produced. He does not lose many games. In our most famous team match in an Olympiad, he was the X-factor beating Ganguly with the black pieces. We beat the Indian team which included Anand 2.5-1.5. I believe Thomas has one GM norm.

From all the players on the team, I know Leonid the longest. Having grown up in the same city in Israel, Haifa, we have competed against each other for 15 years now. We played against each other in everything from Israeli under 10 championships to Canadian Zonals. Leonid has been playing more tournaments of late. Recently, he had 2 good performances in Moscow. I am not sure about GM norms. Leonid is our oldest player, who is turning 23 this year!

Nikolay will be playing in his second Olympiad this time around. Nikolay is well known in all major tournaments in Ontario. Unfortunately, I have rarely seen Nikolay compete in events away from Canada. This should be another good test for Nikolay, who is turning 19 this year. Nikolay played well in Dresden in 2008.

Artiom will be playing in his first Olympiad for Canada. Much like Nikolay, I have rarely seen Artiom playing in international events. This should be a good test for Artiom. He has been dominating local events for several years.

I want to update the Canadian chess community about myself. I have not had the opportunity to play much in recent years due to university. I will be finishing my degree in August. Starting in August, I am planning to play a year of professional chess. The plan is to see how far I can go. I am committed to doing everything I can to improve my chess during this year.
    It will be a very interesting year. I hope the Canadian chess community will be following me on my journey. I am planning to open my own chess blog soon.
    I am also currently looking for sponsors, for this year of professional chess.

I am not as familiar with everybody on the Women's team. The team looks even younger than the National team. WIM Dina Kagramanov is the oldest player, turning 24 later this year. Liza Orlova is the youngest player on the team, turning 16 this year.

The most important part on the Women's team has to be WIM Yuanling Yuan. She is by far the strongest woman player in Canada today, at the age of 16!
    Look out for this girl. She is smart and determined. Having seen her play at the 2008 Olympiad, I was quite impressed.

Then there is Dalia Kagramanov, Dina's younger sister. I have recently been coaching Dalia. She is a very competitive player, who will gain some much needed experience at the Olympiad. Iulia Lacau-Rodean is the second oldest player on the team, at 22. I played Iulia at the Canadian Open in Kitchener a few years ago. Iulia impressed me in the long game we played.

I hope you enjoyed my short summaries of all the players.
    We will try to make our country proud.
    We are as young as ever.
    We have just over $4500 raised to send the two teams to the Olympiad.
    If you can, I hope you will make a contribution.

All the best,
    Mark Bluvshtein.

Re: Olympic Team

Thank you Mark for a very positive post! Nice to see some optimism here. There has been some very negative and destructive comments on ChessTalk lately. Lets hope the guilty parties go away! Serious fans of chess and chess in Canada will be rooting for you and our team at the Olympiad. Good luck to you all!

Comment

GM Norms are here:

http://web.ncf.ca/bw998/CanadianChes...tml#INPROGRESS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Bluvshtein View Post
        I want to update the Canadian chess community about myself. I have not had the opportunity to play much in recent years due to university. I will be finishing my degree in August. Starting in August, I am planning to play a year of professional chess. The plan is to see how far I can go. I am committed to doing everything I can to improve my chess during this year.
        It will be a very interesting year. I hope the Canadian chess community will be following me on my journey. I am planning to open my own chess blog soon.
        I am also currently looking for sponsors, for this year of professional chess.
        All the best,
        Mark Bluvshtein.
        Hi Mark, I enjoyed this post, and your other post about organizers. You have a good attitude and viewpoint. I hope it won't become tainted by the likes of Jean Hebert.

I'm interested to know what is your field of study in university?

I'm also interested, since you are a young, promising player, in your views about the future of chess in general? Specifically, do you see chess960 or any other variant as something that should become more prominent in the future of chess? I know that Nakamura is the current WC of chess960, so he obviously supports it and plays it, although I don't know if he is in any way actively promoting it. Do you see yourself doing anything to actively promote chess960?

I'm interested too about your call for sponsorship. I know that in the poker world, promising new players who are talent-rich but cash-poor can be "bankrolled" by other players, using some kind of contractual agreement in which the investing player receives some amount back from the future winnings of the newer player. Is this going on in chess too, and is this the kind of sponsorship you are seeking? I may be interested if this is the case, and even more so if you are interested in actively promoting chess960.

In any event, good luck with your studies, with the Olympiad, and with your year of professional chess.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Hi Mark, I enjoyed this post, and your other post about organizers. You have a good attitude and viewpoint. I hope it won't become tainted by the likes of Jean Hebert.

I'm interested to know what is your field of study in university?

I'm also interested, since you are a young, promising player, in your views about the future of chess in general? Specifically, do you see chess960 or any other variant as something that should become more prominent in the future of chess? I know that Nakamura is the current WC of chess960, so he obviously supports it and plays it, although I don't know if he is in any way actively promoting it. Do you see yourself doing anything to actively promote chess960?

I'm interested too about your call for sponsorship. I know that in the poker world, promising new players who are talent-rich but cash-poor can be "bankrolled" by other players, using some kind of contractual agreement in which the investing player receives some amount back from the future winnings of the newer player. Is this going on in chess too, and is this the kind of sponsorship you are seeking? I may be interested if this is the case, and even more so if you are interested in actively promoting chess960.

In any event, good luck with your studies, with the Olympiad, and with your year of professional chess.
          Is it really necessary for you to punctuate EVERY post you make with backhanded remarks about Jean Hebert? It is completely irrelevant and tiresome.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Is it really necessary for you to punctuate EVERY post you make with backhanded remarks about Jean Hebert? It is completely irrelevant and tiresome.
            It was pertinent in this case because Hebert replied to a post by Mark and tried "teaching" him the Hebert philosophy.

STFU with your ranting. You don't like my posts, don't read them. I'll decide what's relevant in my posts, NOT YOU.

You love to jab at the CFC every chance you get on this board. I've never interjected in your posts and told you that you are irrelevant and tiresome. Please return the favor. Just DON'T READ MY POSTS if it bothers you so much.

You need to lose your attachment to Hebert. He's pretty much discredited himself on this board, outside of his chess abilities. Hebert trolls my posts and says how stupid I am, I don't see you telling him how irrevelant and tiresome HE is! Hmmm... maybe you aren't objective?????
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles about Paul Bonham View Post
              Hear! Hear!

Not to mention that it seriously lowers the signal-to-noise ratio.

Steve

Comment

It was pertinent in this case because Hebert replied to a post by Mark and tried "teaching" him the Hebert philosophy.

STFU with your ranting. You don't like my posts, don't read them. I'll decide what's relevant in my posts, NOT YOU.

You love to jab at the CFC every chance you get on this board. I've never interjected in your posts and told you that you are irrelevant and tiresome. Please return the favor. Just DON'T READ MY POSTS if it bothers you so much.

You need to lose your attachment to Hebert. He's pretty much discredited himself on this board, outside of his chess abilities. Hebert trolls my posts and says how stupid I am, I don't see you telling him how irrevelant and tiresome HE is! Hmmm... maybe you aren't objective?????
                Seems like I may not be the only one who isn't enjoying your idea of dialogue. Anyway, you can have your wish - I intend to ignore your postings from now on.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  Seems like I may not be the only one who isn't enjoying your idea of dialogue. Anyway, you can have your wish - I intend to ignore your postings from now on.
                  All the likes of you and Steve Douglas are proving is how close-minded you are.

Hey, here's an idea: let's CENSOR people we don't like!
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

All the likes of you and Steve Douglas are proving is how close-minded you are. ...
                    Kerry's not closed-minded. All he did was express his personal opinion about your posts. And you responded with "STFU?" Is that how people should respond to you if their opinions differ from yours?

... Hey, here's an idea: let's CENSOR people we don't like!
                    Straw man? Neither Kerry nor Steve said you should be censored. And neither of them said they don't like you.
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Paul, your interactions with Jean might be considered stalking on some sites. I'm not sure why Larry hasn't put a stop to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        Kerry's not closed-minded. All he did was express his personal opinion about your posts. And you responded with "STFU?" Is that how people should respond to you if their opinions differ from yours?

Straw man? Neither Kerry nor Steve said you should be censored. And neither of them said they don't like you.
                        Paul, I have to agree with Peter, Kerry, and Steve. (haha, they sound like a rock band from the 60's):D

Let's keep it civil with a high signal to noise ratio! (nice analogy Steve):)

What does STFU mean? Oh....., never mind, maybe I don't want to know!

Comment

All the likes of you and Steve Douglas are proving is how close-minded you are.

Hey, here's an idea: let's CENSOR people we don't like!
                          I like you but I don't find the way you're giving Jean a hard time very pleasant. You appear to be trying to CENSURE someone you don't like (or whose view you don't like).
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I haven't been paying attention at all to the whole conversation, but if you want to ignore someone, there's actually a feature in vB that will do that for you, and just not show his posts at all.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                              ... What does STFU mean? ...
                              Simon The Fraser University : l
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                              X