• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22nd Canadian Chess Challenge Results

The event is on today and tomorrow. Results are posted after each round:

http://www.chess.nl.ca/year/2009+201...ish/index.html

Re: 22nd Canadian Chess Challenge Results

Great drama in the last round! Ontario is looking good for top spot, but BC and Quebec are tied for second at the half way point of the final round. The 22nd Annual Chess Challenge. Hard to believe!

Great job (again) Larry and company!

Comment

Just a suggestion for future years, since there are often discussions regarding the low profile of chess.

We were planning on being in Montréal on the first day of the tournament, and our son wanted to stop by to check out the event, and say hi to a former teammate. It wasn't clear at all from the promotional material, or the CMA website, where exactly the CCC was being held. On the souvenir booklet for this year, it says "Montréal, Québec" only. No mention of the venue...I had to download the registration information, look at the accommodation form and deduce that it was at U of M. However, we still had no info regarding the building it was in. Once on campus, we stumbled around looking for signage, before some workers directed us to the security office. Security had no knowledge of the event, and suggested it must be at another university. Finally, the officer phoned another colleague, who HAD heard of the CCC, and directed us to the correct building.

The CCC is a great event, and well run. It would be fun if the general public had some knowledge of it, and could pop in with their kids to have a look. Maybe a few would be inspired to play....? I'm sure the sponsor(s) would appreciate a bit more visibility as well.

Comment

Good suggestions Leah.
        Lynn

Comment

Hi Larry:

Congratulations on another successful event! And congratulations to the Ontario team! The CCC is a unique event in Canadian chess and I hope it continues. You and your team did a great job with providing continuous updates of results.

Steve

Comment

I suspect the PEI grade 6 player is Arsalan Rahimian, not Amirarsalan Rahimian. Unless, of course, they are the same person, but with two separate records in CMA records.

Comment

Congratulations to Ontario on a superb win!

The T-Shirt contest was won by Newfoundland, followed by Manitoba in 2nd place and PEI in 3rd place.

The award for outstanding contribution to the Canadian Chess Challenge went to Marc Poulin this year. He was instrumental in getting sponsorship from the Bank of Montreal for the finals and Lawtons Drugs for the Atlantic provinces. This award has been renamed in memory of Yves Casaubon, who died last summer of cancer. Yves was with Chess'n Math from the beginning of the organization and was involved with the Chess Challenge every year. He was our behind the scenes guy who kept the train on the track. He was there this year in our memories and by naming this award after him, he will continue to be a part of the Canadian Chess Challenge.

The award is now called the "Casaubon Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Canadian Chess Challenge".

I would like to thank Christian Lacasse and Hugues Leclair for working so hard on this event and making it a success again. Thanks to Jeff Coakley who was the Tournament Director and did his usual fine job. We also received ahuge helping hand during the weekend from the CMA President Isabelle Constantin. Not only did she volunteer many hours of service but she brought along her husband and daughter to share the duties :). I would also like to thank my girlfriend, Annick Giubilei, for volunteering her time this weekend...and putting up with me :)

Next year, the Canadian Chess Challenge will be held in Victoria, B.C. over the long May weekend. Brian Raymer, who is an outstanding organizer, has agreed to take on the task with his team of volunteers! With that, 8 of the 10 provinces in Canada will have hosted this unique Canadian Chess event....I believe no other chess championship has ever been hosted by that many provinces (including the Canadian Open and the Canadian Closed).

Thanks to Chris Dawson of Newfoundland for providing up to-date results in his usual timely fashion. Results can be found at:

The following players won the tie-break games (Thanks to Rene Preotu for providing this information as well as his help in getting an internet connection at the site!)

Janak Awatramani - 1st place in grade 5
              James Fu - 1st place in grade 7
              Yuekai Wang - 3rd place in grade 7
              Adam Dorrance - 2nd place in grade 6
              Frank Wang - 2nd in grade 1
              Nicka Kalaydina - 2nd in grade 8
              Joshua Doknjas - 2nd place in grade 2
              Yue Tong Zhao - 3nd place in grade 2

Larry Bevand
              Executive Director
              Chess'n Math Association

Comment

(find at the S.P. blog)

Chess champ adds to crowded trophy case

The mantel in South Surrey student Luke Pulfer’s living room just got a little more crowded.

Last week, after battling chess enthusiasts from across the country, the six-year-old came home from the 22nd Canadian Chess Challenge with a third-place trophy.
                full text at http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar.../95277984.html

Comment

[QUOTE=Larry Bevand;23298]
                  Next year, the Canadian Chess Challenge will be held in Victoria, B.C. over the long May weekend. Brian Raymer, who is an outstanding organizer, has agreed to take on the task with his team of volunteers! With that, 8 of the 10 provinces in Canada will have hosted this unique Canadian Chess event....I believe no other chess championship has ever been hosted by that many provinces (including the Canadian Open and the Canadian Closed).

Larry,

Correct!

Canadian Championships by 'Number of different provinces held in'

Scholastic (Challenge) - 7 + 1 more in 2011
                  Closed - 7
                  Open - 7
                  Junior - 7
                  Cadet (Under 16) - 7
                  Youth - 5
                  Women - 3
                  High School - 3
                  Amateur - 2
                  Post-Secondary - 2
                  Senior - 1
                  Girls - 1
                  Major -1

Regards,

David

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    Thanks to Chris Dawson of Newfoundland for providing up to-date results in his usual timely fashion. Results can be found at:

The following players won the tie-break games (Thanks to Rene Preotu for providing this information as well as his help in getting an internet connection at the site!)

Janak Awatramani - 1st place in grade 5
                    James Fu - 1st place in grade 7 [...]

Larry Bevand
                    Oops. For the June 12th Globe column, I relied upon an earlier version of the website which indicated (to my reading) that two golds had been awarded in both grades 5 and 7. I even implied that not breaking ties was a novelty in the event's 22-year history. Hah! My guess had been that somebody had an early flight to catch.

Congratulations on another success, Larry. The Newfoundland-hosted website is a little miracle, with great detail and frequent updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      Oops. For the June 12th Globe column, I relied upon an earlier version of the website which indicated (to my reading) that two golds had been awarded in both grades 5 and 7. I even implied that not breaking ties was a novelty in the event's 22-year history. Hah! My guess had been that somebody had an early flight to catch.

Congratulations on another success, Larry. The Newfoundland-hosted website is a little miracle, with great detail and frequent updates.
                      Hi Jonathan,

Yes when we lost Yves Casaubon last summer...it was MAJOR for our organization. Yves was the key man behind the scenes...always available and always able! We now have Christian Lacasse who is doing Yves job as well as his own responsibilities...he is great! There is a learning curve here and while he (NOR ANYONE ELSE) will ever be able to replace Yves, he brings his own strengths to the position.

Chris Dawson of Newfoundland is responsible for our internet presence for this event...and this for many years...he does all this work as a volunteer...he is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

It is people like him that help to make this event so great!

You were one of the founding people of the Canadian Chess Challenge back in 1988...and we want you in Montreal for the Chess'n Math celebration on August 22, 2010.

The Canadian Chess Challenge, is in my opinion, one of the greatest assets to chess in Canada. The Chess'n Math Association considers it to be our pride and joy....and we thank you for your contribution!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X