CFC Ratings - Participation & Bonus points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Ratings - Participation & Bonus points

We have updated the CFC rating program to incorporate the Participation and Bonus points as per motion 2008-10 that was passed in GL9. After some testing, we quietly went live last week since we had very few tournaments. We discovered an error and have subsequently fixed it. Micah Hughey spotted the error and alerted us. Thank you Micah. You have earned the official CFC title of "Eagle eye".

Credit goes to our database guru & webmaster, Vincent Chow.

Well done. :)

Re: CFC Ratings - Participation & Bonus points

So is it 1.0 pt per game played or some fraction?

Comment

No, not quite so simple:

0 to 1000 2.0 Points
      1001 to1800 1.5 Points
      1801 to 2000 1.0 Point
      2001 to 2200 .75
      2201+ .50

Bonus Points (Only if Performance Rating is above Peak Rating)

60% to 70% 5 Points
      71% to 89% 10 Points
      90%+ 15 Points

The above applies to regular rated tournaments only. Matches are specifically excluded.

The fine print and rationale can be found in the various GLs.

Cheers
      Peter

Comment

Neither the post nor the GL was very helpful. What are the percentages measuring?

In any case it doesn't seem to address the problem. Kids are coming on the list as beginners with low almost random ratings. By lessons, study or internet play they zoom up in strength while their rating rises at a snail's pace.

A couple I've luckily drawn with this year: Josh Renaud, initial rating 863, rating for the Grand Pacific 1452, performance rating 2110, new rating 1634; Arthur Calugar, initial rating approx 900, rating for Canada Day 2074, performance rating 2463, new rating 2150.

Structurally, a relatively fluid progression is being measured by an almost static system. That doesn't work. The improvement of Josh and Art doesn't not mean that I got worse. Chess understanding naturally expands. It is not zero-sum. The measuring system should adapt to the increase. Across the board inflation by participation points is a shotgun approach, only mildly effective.

Why not simply flag juniors who perform out of class (350 points above rating)? Then scrap their initial rating and treat them as provisional until their new rating has a real relationship with their strength? In this way the "inflation" goes where it belongs and does not drag everyone else down.
        Last edited by Lawrence Day; Thursday, 21st August, 2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
          Why not simply flag juniors who perform out of class (350 points above rating)? Then scrap their initial rating and treat them as provisional until their new rating has a real relationship with their strength? In this way the "inflation" goes where it belongs and does not drag everyone else down.
          I concur.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." What the hell? Why this? Boooooo ChessTalk.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
            "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." What the hell? Why this? Boooooo ChessTalk.
            This is likely a lame attempt to prevent people from just replying with "*&^% off" (8 chars.) :p
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Neither the post nor the GL was very helpful.
              Maybe they are embarrassed.

See this thread:
              http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=183
              for more detail.

Originally posted by lday
              Decades ago USCF had "feedback points" going to opponents of players who earned bonus points. Perhaps a good idea, but the implementation was flawed and the USCF system became inflationary.

The CFC Rating System I inherited in 1975 had the 1100 rule, which I thought was an act of genius. I wonder who invented it. Anyway, what Lawrence is suggesting, and I like it, sounds like a generalization of the 1100 rule.

To play Devil's Advocate, I think it is risky to base a new rating so strongly on the results of a single 5- or 6- round tournament. For example, a player rated 2284 has a TPR of 2542 (as happened to a "good friend" a couple of years ago) over a 6-round tournament. Does his new rating vary that much depending upon whether he is aged 13 or 53? Maybe the system is allowed to look back at the previous tournament(s) and see if this is a quick ramp up or a fluke.

In any case, I think Lawrence's idea deserves consideration by the brain trust. I can't believe I wrote that.

Comment

Has the on-line calculator been updated as well? Ie: here:

http://www.chess.ca/rating_calculator.htm

?

Comment

Chess understanding naturally expands. It is not zero-sum. The measuring system should adapt to the increase.
                  I'm not sure I understand this statement correctly. Are you saying that because chess knowledge as a whole naturally expands, the average rating of the populance should be increasing? If so, I disagree.

Conversely, are you saying that because YOUR chess knowledge naturally expands, the rating system should reflect this so your rating should not drop? Again I disagree.

I'm not sure I can envision a system that is clairvoyant enough to predict how much better a player becomes between one tournament and the next. If I spent the next year focusing solely on chess, playing Fritz and ICC hours per day, and as a result my performance ratings started to become 400 points higher than my posted rating, would people be saying the system was unfair then?

Comment

But why? ladl;fho
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Garland, I think the overall strength is improving as the present learns from the past. Note there are more and more 2700 players. Still, playing between themselves there is only one point per game to divide up as win, draw or loss. That is the fixed part. The value of a rating point is more fluid. Trying to make the sum fixed fails. Deflation is a more serious problem than inflation.

Jonathon, Sure, adjust fine tuning; I just like the general idea.

Of course Kevin Gentes would rather see the chess:

Day-Calugar, Hart House Open rd 5:
                      1.g3 g6 2.Bg2 Bg7 3.Nc3 c5 4.d3 Nc6 5.e4 d6 6.Nh3 e5 7.0-0 Nge7 8.f4 h5 (!?/?!) 9.f5 (!?/?!) 9...gxf5 10.Bg5 f6 11.Bh4 Nd4 12.Ne2 Nxe2+ 13.Qxe2 Qb6 14.Bf3 fxe4 15.Bxh5+ Kd8 16.Nf2 exd3 17.cxd3 Nf5 18.Ne4 Nxh4 19.gxh4 Bh3 (? 19..c4+!) 20.Rf3 Bd7 21.Rg3 c4+ 22.Kh1 cxd3 23.Rxd3 Bb5 24.Nxd6 (24.Rad1) 24...Bxd3 25.Qxd3 Rxh5 26.Nf5+ Kc7 27.Rc1+ Kb8 28.Qd7 a6 29.Qe8+ Ka7 30.Qxh5 Qxb2 31.Qd1 Bf8 32.Rb1 Qa3 (1/2-1/2 on Black's offer)

Comment

I wouldn't use the fact that more of FIDE ratings at the top exceed 2700 as proof that chess players are getting better. That could simply indicate that the FIDE system is inflationary.

I always understood that the rating system was designed to measure RELATIVE strength. If you are rated 200 point higher than your opponent, then you would expect to score 3/4 against him. While against juniors that's a dangerous assumption, against "experienced" players, the rule of thumb is pretty valid.

If anyone wants to validate inflation/deflation, then you have to take the ratings list, and plot ratings distributions. I wouldn't mind seeing such statistics. One would need annual rating lists for the past 20 years to determine if inflation or deflation exists.

It's all moot in some respects. Now the machines are giving GM's pawn and move odds. What's that, a 2900 rating??

Comment

To be honest, when I walked past your board during that round, I thought Calugar was cooked. Maybe I didn't assess the position correctly and will have to go through the moves you provided. When I saw on the crosstable afterward that he had drawn I was quite surprised and remember thinking "How'd he get out of that one?"

Comment

I talked to Junior about your game.

While he favoured Black's position throughout most of the game it made a sudden change in assessment when it saw the chance to play 29. Rc8+ followed by 30. Ne7 with a violent attack causing Black to give up material, for example 30..Rb8 31. Rxb8 Qb5 32. Ra8+ +- or 30..Rh8 31. Nc6+ Qxc6 32. Rxc6 +-. The only "major" improvement for him, and as you mentioned, was 19..c4+, but even in that line White's got some good resources and is hanging on. After 32..Qa3 1/2 Black stands better. On the whole, contrary to Junior's assessment, I'd have to add that Black's position wasn't easy for a human to have to defend. I recall thinking that sickly Bg7 and all the pawns on the central dark squares.

Comment

Working...
                            X