CYCC deadlines reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC deadlines reminder

The website www.cycc.ca has been updated with emphasis on deadlines...

The deadline for early bird registration is June 15th, about two weeks away. After that date, the entry fee goes up by $25.00

The deadline for the $119 rate at the Hilton is June 6th... that's Sunday! Check the website travel page for the booking code. You can upgrade to a suite for $50 extra

Even sooner, the deadline for the $99 rate at Quality Suites downtown is June 4th... you must call 519-977-9707 and the group name is "Canadian Youth Chess Championship". Quality Suites is two blocks from the Hilton, and includes free breakfast.

In answer to a question, this is the last year that ANYONE can enter CYCC... starting next year a strict qualifying process will be observed (assuming the CFC doesn't change the rules again). This is not to say that EVERYONE should enter the national championship.

John Coleman
    www.cycc.ca

Re: CYCC - Provincial/Territorial YCC Qualifiers in 2011

Hi John:

Good luck on the CYCC.

And thanks for pointing out that next year, the provincial YCC's are to be the " QUALIFIERS " for the 2011 CYCC. This has still had little publicity, since this year anyone can enter. But it is necessary that everyone realize the new system starts immediately after this year's CYCC.

Michael Barron, Youth Coordinator, or his successor, if any, has a big job ahead getting all the provinces/territories organizing provincial YCC's for 2011 - many provinces have never had YCC's before, and it will be a new organizing challenge for the provincial youth coordinators.

Bob

Comment

Re: CYCC deadlines reminder

Last fall, I was instrumental in forming a Youth Committee, to discuss the new system, including such questions as
      • Is there any restriction on playing in multiple YCC tournaments?
      • Suppose a local hopeful had a bad day at our YCC, can he go to another city, and play in their YCC?
      • Alternately, can a community hold more than one YCC tournament?
      • The reciprocal of this is, can visitors come and play in our YCC? How would our young hopefuls feel if a car-load of players from Toronto showed up, and scooped half of "our" qualifying spots.

Unfortunately, there were very few responses, and the whole thread, and maybe the committee, just died. Unless "the CFC", and I'm not sure who I mean by that, vigorously promotes the new system, it's gonna die.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Last fall, I was instrumental in forming a Youth Committee, to discuss the new system, including such questions as
        • Is there any restriction on playing in multiple YCC tournaments?
        • Suppose a local hopeful had a bad day at our YCC, can he go to another city, and play in their YCC?
        • Alternately, can a community hold more than one YCC tournament?
        • The reciprocal of this is, can visitors come and play in our YCC? How would our young hopefuls feel if a car-load of players from Toronto showed up, and scooped half of "our" qualifying spots.

Unfortunately, there were very few responses, and the whole thread, and maybe the committee, just died. Unless "the CFC", and I'm not sure who I mean by that, vigorously promotes the new system, it's gonna die.

As near as I can tell, given the AWOL-ness of the President and most of the Executive, Bob Armstrong IS the CFC at the moment... ok, lol, there may be a few people hanging on his coat tails too, but perhaps you get my point: once again (or 'as usual') the CFC is a ship without a rudder, engine, radio etc.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I have always thought the new proposal unworkable and unsustainable.
          Any new CFC Executive needs to include Bob Armstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
            Any new CFC Executive needs to include Bob Armstrong.
            I agree about the CYCC proposal; I think Bob [Armstrong] is too smart to run for the CFC Executive... as for Bob Gillanders - I am not so sure. ;)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

How quick we forget...

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              The CYCF (Canadian Youth Chess Festival), as it was called in the old days, was the first time Canada had a qualifier for the World event. It was organized by the Chess'n Math Association for the CFC. Ben Wicks, a famous cartoonist had come to Hal Bond (CFC Executive Director at the time) and I about sponsoring a chess event...and I suggested the CYCF. Prior to that, the CFC attitude...was...if you want to play and you are willing to pay your own expenses...go ahead.

Over the next few years the CMA invested about $50,000 to build the event which required participation in regional and provincial events. We hired Jeff Coakley to take care of this. He did a great job, as he always does. Then the CFC decided to take the event away from us (actually they proposed that we run it but inserted clauses that they knew we would never agree to :). Feeling very comfortable with themselves LOL, they took the event away from us. Because there was a lawyer involved on the CFC side...they changed the name to the CYCC...just in case :).

Originally the structure was to include qualification events...but they soon realized this involved WORK...and since they had 100 eager young participants (and their parents) willing to dish out some real bucks for the final...and the right to play at the worlds...why bother.

I expected them to fall flat on their face.

While they have had high and low points, in general the folks who have organized the event for the CFC have done a good job. The CFC has never been very good at monitoring their arrangements so from time to time they were burned.

Larry

Comment

Me smart; Bob G - ??

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  Me smart; Bob G - ??

Bob
                  Bob, at the AGM, be careful you don't take a washroom break at the wrong time! :p:D

Comment

Maybe the next CFC President will have serious discussions with the CMA about managing the new CYCC structure.

Comment

Last fall, I was instrumental in forming a Youth Committee, to discuss the new system...[/LIST]
                      That would be thoroughly unfortunate... Provincial or/and regional YCC is the way to go. Making "finals" only with people who can afford to attend, as it is now, to me is unacceptable.

Comment

Jean, I'm inclined to agree with you. However, it seemed very hard to get anyone interested at all. Most members of the Youth Committee made no comment at all, on anything.

The GL motion from Ellen Nadeau (Youth coordinator at the time) was to make qualification a requirement, as an answer to the organisers who said "why hold a qualifier, kids can attend anyway".

However, qualification, or open entry, does not address the question of who should bear the heavy cost of attending. Even large YCCs, such as Ontario, award only relatively small bursaries to winners. It does not help that the CFC wants to charge organisers for the privilege of holding a YCC.

Unless we can organise some sort of internet format, attending CYCC is gonna be expensive. Right now, the cost is borne by enthusiastic parents. A good way to finance the players is from bursaries for playing in YCCs, but who is going to organise them?

That brings us full circle.

Comment

Jean, I'm inclined to agree with you. However, it seemed very hard to get anyone interested at all. Most members of the Youth Committee made no comment at all, on anything.

The GL motion from Ellen Nadeau (Youth coordinator at the time) was to make qualification a requirement, as an answer to the organisers who said "why hold a qualifier, kids can attend anyway".

However, qualification, or open entry, does not address the question of who should bear the heavy cost of attending. Even large YCCs, such as Ontario, award only relatively small bursaries to winners. It does not help that the CFC wants to charge organisers for the privilege of holding a YCC.

Unless we can organise some sort of internet format, attending CYCC is gonna be expensive. Right now, the cost is borne by enthusiastic parents. A good way to finance the players is from bursaries for playing in YCCs, but who is going to organise them?

That brings us full circle.
                          No easy fix here. The whole thing needs to be redrawn "out of the box". The main problem I believe is this perceived need to follow FIDE's example with its WYCC. That model with its too many championships by 2 year age groups is not fit for us. It leads for practical reasons to an "Open" CYCC where anybody can play IF he can pay, regardless of his actual playing strenght. This is wrong if our goal is to develop our chess talent.

Comment

Working...
                          X