23 pre-registered for Guelph Olympic Waive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 pre-registered for Guelph Olympic Waive

Vlad Drkulec is making the trek from Windsor to support our Olympic Teams. Awesome Vlad! Thanks also to the Preotu family for sending in two entry fees, despite being unable to play. $500 will be raised for the teams on Sunday. You can still register with halbond@sympatico.ca to avoid the late fee.

Here is the latest list:

1 Kevin Chung
    2278 133914
    2 Vladimir Drkulec
    2100 102868
    3 Rob Gashgarian
    1884 112426
    4 Dima Shamroni
    1868 146428
    5 Danny McGlynn
    1860 121790
    6 Paul Stephens
    1854 132545
    7 Adam Cormier
    1849 149091
    8 Hal Bond
    1839 111830
    9 Jaime Solis
    1816 102297
    10 Tim Knechtel
    1795 106376
    11 John Jordan
    1746 104534
    12 Lee Hendon
    1730 105731
    13 Michael von Keitz
    1722 128800
    14 Zoltan Cservenyi
    1638 107146
    15 Daniel Coren
    1630 150504
    16 Nicholas Jackson
    1604 146311
    17 Mei Chen Lee
    1570 130962
    18 Liquan Wang
    1567 151049
    19 Mark Brauer
    1536 132166
    20 Mike Krause
    1460 122240
    21 Matthew Mills
    1434 121321
    22 Christopher Osborne
    1204 113031
    23 Dennis Shamroni
    1069 149741

Re: 23 pre-registered for Guelph Olympic Waive

Hal,
    If you lived in Windsor your would also leave for weekends whenever you could!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
      Hal,
      lol - almost all of my father's family lived in Windsor - many still do... I recall a joke where "Windsor" was the punch line: "what is the poorest country south of Detroit?"
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

You know how everyone bitches about those high-paid unskilled autoworkers? Yup, that's us...

According to Stats Can, the median individual income in 2005 was
        Windsor $ 28,279
        Ontario $ 27,258
        Canada $ 25,615

Median income in 2005 - All private households: ($):
        Windsor $ 59,574
        Ontario $ 60,455
        Canada $ 53,634

Median income in 2005 - Couple households with children: ($):
        Windsor $ 94,422
        Ontario $ 87,960
        Canada $ 82,156

source: http://www.citystats.ca/city/Ontario...or.html#income
        Last edited by John Coleman; Friday, 4th June, 2010, 10:40 PM. Reason: give source

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          Hal,
          Actually there is a lot happening in Windsor in the summer. Red Bull Air Races on the waterfront this weekend. Downtown cafes with lots of local and American lovelies, chess tournaments every weekend in June (mostly CFC rated), Carousel with ethnic villages, dancing and delicious food from around the world. Erie Street with Windsor's Little Italy and not to mention the best pizza in the world from any one of several dozen restaurants distributed throughout Windsor and Essex County. If you are into Lebanese food Windsor can't be beat. Delicious and inexpensive Chinese food everywhere. A few days before July 1st there is the fireworks display which puts almost all other such displays to shame.

Just think. If you are right about global warming then we will probably get another month per year of this weather in the Sun Parlour of Canada. Life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Just think. If you are right about global warming then we will probably get another month per year of this weather in the Sun Parlour of Canada. Life is good.
            that reminds me of the song, "Always look on the bright side of life".
            University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
              that reminds me of the song, "Always look on the bright side of life".
              Throw in Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up the Sun" and Van Morrison's "Bright Side of the Road". Between rounds of today's tournament I walked over to my car and dropped off my coffee thermos having consumed my initial caffeine ration and saw yet another proof of a benevolent God, a beautiful young woman in a sundress. Life is really good.

Vlad Drkulec

Comment

This was another successful fundraiser, bringing in a total of $600 for the Olympic squads. The field was 28 players deep, seeing the re-emergence of some thought lost to the mundanity of life, including Danny McGlynn and Paul Stephens. The much-heralded return of Kevin Chung, the freshly-crowned U18 Champion of Ontario, was also a welcome addition to the line-up.

Hal Bond made the choice of implementing two 14-player Swiss events this time around, departing from the quads of the previous fundraiser. I would argue that, in an event of such brevity, the quad system might be preferable, though I will leave that discourse to the peanut gallery.

Now, for those foreseeing a whitewash by Kevin, I am sorry to disappoint. It seems nobody can escape the law, which Jordan Palmer, LL.B., demonstrated nicely in holding Kevin to a half-point. In fact, the former actually had a favourable position, but opted to bailout with time pressure on the horizon. This left the standings wide open, allowing Mikhail Egorov and Ross Cunningham to rise to the occasion, finishing in a 3-way tie for first with Kevin at an impressive 2.5/3.

In the second section, Lee Hendon stood as top seed for a single round, before an opportunity to contend with the big guns presented itself. Left as the only remaining 1700 in the section, I was thoroughly thrashed in the second round by an arguably underrated Liquan Wang, and ended up finishing on 2/3. Mr. Wang, on the other hand, cruised to a perfect 3/3 finish, claiming joint first in the section with Nicholas Jackson.

My thanks goes out to the players who attended for their generosity and camaraderie. I would also like to take this opportunity to encourage others in the area to attend the fundraising event in Brantford on July 4th, unless, of course, you have cause to celebrate Independence Day.

As a final note, I should mention that Michael Zaghi's desertion of the Guelph camp, in favour of attending an event put on by a certain Mr. Derraugh, has been noted and will go unforgiven. That said, I would like to congratulate Geordie on, what seems to be, his flawless execution of duties as a first-time organizer.

Comment

Working...
                X