Tempo loss brain teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempo loss brain teaser

For those into verbal explanations of what goes on on the chessboard: try to explain in words why White loses a tempo in the second sequence below, compared to the first sequence given, after the initial moves:

Initial moves:

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Be7 5.e3 h6 6.Bh4 0-0 7.Nf3

Sequence 1

7...Ne4 8.Bxe7 Qxe7 9.Rc1 c6 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.Rxc3 dxc4 12.Bxc4 Nd7

White to move.

Sequence 2

7...Nbd7 8.cxd5 Nxd5 9.Bxe7 Qxe7 10.Rc1 c6 11.Bc4 Nxc3 12.Rxc3

Black to move!

Again, how did White manage to lose a tempo overall compared to the first sequence? Try to explain verbally in as few words as possible.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Tempo loss brain teaser

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'll try and explain it anyway:

In the first sequence black took on c4 and white took back with the bishop, but in the second sequence, white took the black pawn on d5 and then played bc4. This means that in the second sequence it took 2 moves to get the bishop to c4, but in the first sequence it only took 1 move, thus white lost a tempo

Comment

Originally posted by David Itkin View Post
      I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'll try and explain it anyway:

In the first sequence black took on c4 and white took back with the bishop, but in the second sequence, white took the black pawn on d5 and then played bc4. This means that in the second sequence it took 2 moves to get the bishop to c4, but in the first sequence it only took 1 move, thus white lost a tempo
      Actually, in the first sequence White's bishop clearly took 2 moves to get to c4, though admittedly Black helped (sort of) with ...dxc4 (which would appear to have given White a tempo compared to the second sequence; thus your explanation wasn't far wrong).

I was comparing both sequences just this morning when the apparent tempo loss by White caught my eye. Maybe it was too early in the morning, but I couldn't explain it to myself right off the bat...
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 5th June, 2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Actually, white didn't lose a tempo, black gained a tempo. Instead of Ne4 and dxc4, white took on d5 and black took back. black traded of the two pawns and the knight in 2 moves unlike 3 in the first sequence. In the first one, black acomplishes his development in 12 moves unlike 11 in the second one.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandru Florea View Post
          Actually, white didn't lose a tempo, black gained a tempo. Instead of [...Ne4] and [...dxc4], white took on d5 and black took back [with his knight]. [Black] traded [off] the two pawns and the [two knights] in 2 moves unlike 3 in the first sequence. In the first one, black acomplishes his development in 12 moves unlike 11 in the second one.
          A good way of putting it. Though in chess, isn't one side's gain of a tempo the other side's loss of a tempo too ;)?

Comment

The key point is that it is not the same Black knight in the final positions for
            Sequence 1 and Sequence 2.

In one position, the King's knight remains, as it is the Queens's knight that has taken
            the longer route to make the exchange on c3. In the other, the Queen's knight remains,
            and Black picks up a tempo as the King's knight makes the exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              A good way of putting it. Though in chess, isn't one side's gain of a tempo the other side's loss of a tempo too ;)?
              Not necessarily. Black won a tempo (Kd7) in the second sequence, because white played unaccurate afterwards. Maybe Anand or Topalov can explain why :)

Comment

2nd sequence: in recapturing the capturing pawn on a different path from 1, the black knight arrives to capture the Queen's knight, still vacating d5 in allotted quick time, but in the 1st sequence, white visits d3 before capturing and taking occupation of c4.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
                  The key point is that it is not the same Black knight in the final positions for
                  Sequence 1 and Sequence 2.
                  It's always the same knight. The key is that the pawns and the Knights are exchanged in 3 moves in the first sequence and 2 in the second as the move Nxd5 recaptures the pawn and attacks the white knight instead of wasting a move on dxc4.

Comment

Proving once again, I am quite lost in QP openings!

In fact, Black wastes a move with dxc4 in the same
                    sequence where White wastes one with Bd3.

Both sides omit their wasteful move in the other
                    sequence, but White makes another one (dxc5)
                    which is why Black comes out with the extra tempo
                    there.
                    Last edited by Ed Zator; Sunday, 6th June, 2010, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X