New Canadian Girls Chess Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Canadian Girls Chess Club

Hey everyone! So I'm starting up a chess club for girls and girls ONLY! :)

Why?

-almost every chess tournament is dominated by guys, so I feel the need to encourage girls chess in Canada
    -many girls don't feel comfortable playing chess among boys (it's a psychological thing, especially with young girls)
    -the Ontario Girls Chess Championships has been very successful over the past years with promoting girls chess, which proves that many girls are only willing to play chess for fun with other girls
    -I am a girl myself so I can relate to them
    -I've got 3 years of teaching experience (chess coach at school & few girls I'm currently teaching)
    -it will be fun!! :D

When & Where?
    Every Sunday afternoon from 1-4pm at 83 Maxome Ave, North York, ON starting next Sunday (June 13, 2010). Lessons will be from 1-2pm and a chess tournament will run from 2-4pm. Games will be CMA or CFC rated according to the players' ratings. Of course, there will be ribbons, medals, etc for prizes!

Fees
    lesson - $20/person, tournament - $15/person

Well, I believe that girls who play chess are truly special. Take my school chess club for an example: there are about 30 guys and only 2 girls (excluding me)! I hope that everyone can support girls chess in Canada and this club! Boys, if you have a sister, get her to play chess!

Join the Canadian Girls Chess Club~ First 10 girls to register will get a special gift from me~

-WIM Yuanling Yuan

Re: New Canadian Girls Chess Club

Good luck in your endeavours Yuanling!
    :)

Comment

The official Website

It's there:

http://www.freewebs.com/canadagirlchess/

Comment

Can beginner Women as well as Girls of all ages join your Club?

This is a Great idea .

Comment

Caesar - Thank you! A ton of things going on at the moment, but I will survive~

John - Thank you for your interest in the girls chess club! Well, I personally believe that a woman regardless of being a beginner or advanced player should be able to overcome this "psychological thing" that I mentioned earlier. If they enjoy chess, the Scarborough Chess Club is a great place for them.

However, if a girl's mom would like to join this club to help or enhance her daughter's learning, then she is more than welcome to join us! Come to think of it, this mother-daughter thing sounds like a great idea and I would like to provide a special discount for that! My mom has been following me around chess tournaments for 9 years now, and she still can't play chess, haha :p

Yuanling

Comment

looks like a cash grab... good luck w/ it...

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
              looks like a cash grab... good luck w/ it...
              Yeah, at $20 per person per lesson, he'll be a millionaire in no time...
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hi Jordan:

The " he " is a " she " - junior girl WIM Yuanling Yuan. She's an enterprising young woman who has been doing a great job promoting chess with her free " Chess in the Library " program.

Bob

Comment

Bob - Thank you for your support! Times like these really boosts up my motivation to keep doing what I love doing - promoting chess! :)

There has been already 6 pre-registrations for the Canadian Girls Chess Club! :D

It's mainly the club that I want to run, but if the club stands by itself, then some parents would starting requesting lessons in order to improve their girls' performance in the tournaments.

Calling all girls who love chess~ join the club!

Yuanling

Comment

I must add very enterprising indeed. This is coming from the person who goes to school with her.

Comment

Working...
                    X