Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free chess lessons Toronto

Dear Sir/ Madam,

My name is Rick Lahaye and I'm a chess coach from the Netherlands. I've got twelve years of experience as a coach. I worked many years for the Dutch Chess Federation as a coach and my own playing level is FIDE 2376. A few years ago I also participated during the Canadian Open in Ottawa.

Besides a chessplayer and coach I work for my university (currently doing interesting research about chess experts!) and my own company 'Kennisstroom' (translated it means knowledge flow). I combine recruitment with development/coaching of students for companies. The next two years I'm going to follow my dream. I'm going to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United States of America to expand my network and try to find a way to build myself an international company.

A few months ago I received my visa for Canada :D In September 2010 I'm going to Toronto for half a year. I want to find an appartment in downtown Toronto, but want enough time to find something suitable when I'm there. I thought I could use chess as a means to stay somewhere in the beginning. I hope one of the citizens of Toronto could help me and I will help you :D

Do you yourself or know somebody else in Toronto who would be interested in free chess lessons from me in exchange for a place to stay?

As a person I am social, relaxed, a hard worker, flexible, positive and love new experiences. I don't smoke and have no health issues. Besides chess I love to watch soccer, play squash, boxing, running and fitness. If you need more information about me, don't hesitate to ask :)

I hope one of you Canadians can help me :D

Please send me an email if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Rick Lahaye
    ricklahaye@hotmail.com

Re: Free chess lessons Toronto

Hi Rick,
    The prices of apartments for rent in Toronto belong to the highest in the world. I wouldn't like to scare you, Rich, but your offer to teach people free chess lessons may not enough. It depends, who you will be dealing with etc. I'd like to advice you to turn to those "chess people" who have contacts and organize "chess life" in the Greater Toronto Area. Please look for those chess clubs and organisations. Good luck in your searchings!
    :)

Comment

Hi Caeser,

Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'm paying 600 dollars (25m2) for my room right know. For me that's a lot of money. I hope Toronto will not be worse :( I want to find an apartment with a roommate to make housing affordable. Does somebody know if it's possible to search for student housing if you're 26 years, but don't study at a university anymore?

If someone has an interesting deal, some useful information or knows a way to help me, I'm always willing to listen. I'm a reasonable guy (I think :D) and if people are able to help me I've no problem returning the favor if they want to travel abroad.

As a youngster and later as a coach I learned to work with 'de stappenmethode' (Cor van Wijgerden). I thought it was funny that there was information in a thread about it: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ight=wijgerden I have to say that the structure they use to help people understand the game (especially tactics) is really good. Besides that I also use my own material.

I hope someone can help.

Kind regards,

Rick

Comment

Rick,

May I make two suggestion regarding housing in the meantime?

1) Try the suburb campuses e.g. York U., Erindale.... first, since their
        rents are usually less than inner city ones.

Timing (before sessions begin) is all. Just being studious,
        rather than a student per se, is often acceptable enough.

Look for dorms with shared facilities, or private landlords
        renting out basements. Apartments are expensive, and
        single rooms often squalid and expensive anyway.

2) Living out-of-town is probably your better option. Be aware that
        commuting via the GO network is the norm for this expensive
        city. Rents in towns on the network are often 50% or less than
        what they are here.

I think your offer of accomodations for lessons would work with almost
        anything but chess.

If you know one or more other subjects (e.g. Math or IT) tutoring companies
        here (e.g. Tutor Ontario, Whiz Kids...) might know a client who'd be interested.

Ed

Comment

If Toronto is not your only choice of a Canadian city - try Montreal. Much cheaper than Toronto, and much more "European". My $660/month apartment (10 minutes train ride from downtown Montreal) could cost double that in Toronto.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Ed! I'll keep that in mind.

Hugh, besides chess I do have other skills. I do research with Prof. Dijksterhuis (unconscious thought), I'm probably starting a new research project with Prof. Ericsson (deliberate practice), assist the director of psychology Prof. Wigboldus from my university (alumni policy, setting up a new course) and have a small business (recruitment & development). I don't think I'll be sitting still when I'm in Toronto.

I just thought it would be nice to start in Toronto with chess. Coaching is something I like to do. I love the expression on someones face, when they suddenly see the answer to a problem which they didn't saw at first. But after some advice they do.

Comment

Working...
            X