Russian Olympiad Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Olympiad Team

I came across this and though it was pretty funny. Since Russia is hosting the Olympiad, they are entitled to three teams. I got this information from WGM Pogonina's website, a female Olympiad player for Russia.

Russia (main team, men), sorted by rating:
    Vladimir Kramnik (2790)
    Alexander Grischuk (2760)
    Sergey Karjakin (2739)
    Peter Svidler (2735)
    Vladimir Malakhov (2722)

Russia (second team, men), sorted by rating:
    Alexander Morozevich (2715)
    Evgeny Tomashevsky (2708)
    Nikita Vitiugov (2707)
    Evgeny Alekseev (2700)
    Ian Nepomniatchi (2695)

Russia ("local" team, men), sorted by rating:
    Dmitry Jakovenko (2725)
    Sergei Rublevsky (2704)
    Ernesto Inarkiev (2669)
    Alexei Pridorozhni (2554)
    Nikolai Kabanov (2517)

All 3 teams are big contenders to win. The reason the local team has 2700's and 2500's is because it is fielded of solely domestic players, all from the hosting state(they could easily put 2650+guys instead otherwise). I'm wondering what will happen if these teams clash in the final rounds? Will they try to give it to their highest rated team with the superstars? I wasn't playing chess when it was last held in Russia (1998 I think), so I have no idea what the situation was with three stacked teams from the same country competing.

Re: Russian Olympiad Team

Did the site say who is on the Women's team?

Only a WGM? For some reason I thought she is GM, but when I see a picture the title isn't what I'm looking at. :)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

She's a 2500 FIDE rated WGM, so pretty much GM level. She is the one writing a book on chess kama sutra. www.pogonina.com

Russia has two women's teams. Both favourites as well.

Russia (main team, women), sorted by rating:
      Nadezhda Kosintseva (2553)
      Tatiana Kosintseva (2534)
      Alexandra Kosteniuk (2519)
      Natalia Pogonina (2501)
      Alisa Galliamova (2487)

Russia (second team, women), sorted by rating:
      Valentina Gunina (2457)
      Anastasia Savina (2412)
      Anastasia Bodnaruk (2410)
      Olga Girya (2353)
      Alina Kashlinskaya (2346)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Did the site say who is on the Women's team?
        Investigate yourself http://chess-results.com/olympiad/Te...che.aspx?lan=1

Comment

In Moscow 1994, Russia fielded three teams. The first two teams were considered amongst the favourites to win medals and they did (Russia A - Gold; Russia B (I think Morozevich was on this team) - Bronze, I think). Russia C had a bunch of young guys with lower ratings (2400-2500s?) and didn't contend, I think.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
            it was last held in Russia (1998 I think),
            4 Russian teams played in 1998 :D 3 of them finished higher than CAN. Rus1 2.5 - 1.5 Rus2
            http://www.olimpbase.org/1998/1998fa.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              In Moscow 1994, Russia fielded three teams. The first two teams were considered amongst the favourites to win medals and they did (Russia A - Gold; Russia B (I think Morozevich was on this team) - Bronze, I think). Russia C had a bunch of young guys with lower ratings (2400-2500s?) and didn't contend, I think.
              Russia has good teams. Do you know if the players parents are closely involved with their teams?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Russia has good teams. Do you know if the players parents are closely involved with their teams?
                hahaha. i'm going to take a guess and say no :)

Comment

Second team is a young team mostly WYCC graduates. It would be interesting to see how the Russian chess federation helped these girls along the way, what kind of events they played in besides WYCC pretty much every year. If my memory is correct, Bodnaruk's family was considering a move to Canada at one point.

Comment

As I recall, the organizers get two teams. Then there's a third team if the number of teams is otherwise odd. What I suspect happening in 1998 is that the number of teams was odd, Russia-C was added, the pairings made, and then one of the entered countries did not show up. Well, they can't remove a team that's already entered, but look, we've got this D-team all ready to play....

Of course, if the number of teams is even, the organizer can invent an entry, get the C-team in, then uninvent the same country to mobilize the D-team. It took me about 30 seconds to come up with that, but in some places everybody can do that one, faster than you can add Bxh7+ to your list of candidate moves.

In 1996 at Yerevan, Armenia got to field three teams. The "B" team was the youth team. Look who's the second reserve. They were often in my sector as arbiter. Levon was the darling of the local fans. He was 14, but he looked about 12. I had a short chat with him. Luckily, he spoke a few words of English, even then. Like everyone, he wanted to win, but he didn't mind losing either, you could tell by the smile that he occasionally broke into, as if to laugh at the silly move he made.

Comment

Working...
                    X