Lacrosse loses charitable status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacrosse loses charitable status

Article in the Sports section of today's Toronto Star describes how the Lacrosse association became the third national sports organization to lose its charitable status (after little league baseball and amateur football). They were involved in a dubious fundraising scheme using tax shelters.

Re: Lacrosse loses charitable status

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
    Article in the Sports section of today's Toronto Star describes how the Lacrosse association became the third national sports organization to lose its charitable status (after little league baseball and amateur football). They were involved in a dubious fundraising scheme using tax shelters.
    The Executive Director of the Canadian Lacrosse Association is a former CFC Executive Director, although I doubt he had anything to do with the scheme...he was simply following their procedures.

Comment

Their website says their ED is Melissa McKenzie..?
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I think it was David Miriguay that Larry was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
          I think it was David Miriguay that Larry was referring to.

Hi David,

Yes. I always thought he was the Lacrosse ED but I was wrong. I spoke with David Miriguay about 8 months ago. Someone I know is a Lacrosse coach and I was curious about some things. So as general manager donations etc were probably not even part of his field of activities. He has always been a straight shooter...sometimes you get advise...and it is the advise that is bad...I think that is what happened with the Lacrosse folks.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Hi David,

Yes. I always thought he was the Lacrosse ED but I was wrong. I spoke with David Miriguay about 8 months ago. Someone I know is a Lacrosse coach and I was curious about some things. So as general manager donations etc were probably not even part of his field of activities. He has always been a straight shooter...sometimes you get advise...and it is the advise that is bad...I think that is what happened with the Lacrosse folks.

Larry
            Caught a recent game Duke-Notre Dame --Men's College Championship Final; seemed like a wonderfully permanent power play from the NHL, w/ goalies not in giant pads as from the professional and Canadian-style lacrosse leagues, and rules ( NFL instant replay, NBA timeout style, for starters) reminiscent of other more established sports. Guesstimating stadium (football- capacity 50,000) was nearly a third full. Refreshing.

Comment

Working...
            X