Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE rules regarding double entry/double play

Hello,

In WA Open this year, one of the players, registered twice. So he played 2 games every round in the same time! FIDE rated all his games with out any problem. Can you do that in CFC tournaments?

Thanks
    Andrei

http://ratings.fide.com/view_source.phtml?code=51095
    ________
    Uploading Starcraft 2 Replays
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:16 AM.

Re: FIDE rules regarding double entry/double play

Not any more - see Section 711 of the CFC Handbook:

During a rated event, no player is allowed to be in competition with more than 1 opponent, including opponents in other events. [CFC Executive motion carried, 2001-02]

I believe this was in response to having simuls rated, but the 1985 Canadian Closed/Open comes to mind, where Igor Ivanov and Brian Hartman played in both events at the same time.

Comment

I played a guy in the World Open who had entered two sections. Unfortunately for him - his other section was on the floor below his game with me. I simply waited for him to leave the room, and made my move. He lost to me fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post

During a rated event, no player is allowed to be in competition with more than 1 opponent, including opponents in other events. [CFC Executive motion carried, 2001-02]

I believe this was in response to having simuls rated, but the 1985 Canadian Closed/Open comes to mind, where Igor Ivanov and Brian Hartman played in both events at the same time.
        Thanks Stephen, I kind of knew that, but the event was just rated by FIDE today. How is that possible?
        ________
        Tampon
        Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
          Hello,

In WA Open this year, one of the players, registered twice. So he played 2 games every round in the same time! FIDE rated all his games with out any problem. Can you do that in CFC tournaments?

Thanks
          Andrei

Could you write his/her name? It would help to find him/her in that table :D

Comment

Well, it was played in the U.S. and submitted to FIDE, so the Canadian article I quoted doesn't apply. Not sure if FIDE specifically addresses the issue, other than stating that there shouldn't be more than three rounds a day for rating purposes, which there presumably was for the player in question. Or Article 12.1 might apply, depending on how dim a view you take of the practice: The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute. [Ironic that that is a FIDE Law of Chess, considering how the organization itself operates sometimes ...]

Comment

no one at the link above has more than 6 rated games, so it looks to me like noone got a double-entry rated by FIDE at this tournament.

Comment

no one at the link above has more than 6 rated games, so it looks to me like noone got a double-entry rated by FIDE at this tournament.
                It looks like Nick Raptis got 9 FIDE-rated games.

2016850 Raptis, Nick USA 2246 2.5 Game
                Round Opp. name Opp. Fed. Title W.Title Opp. Rtng Score View
                4 2010-05-30 Dixon, Dakota E USA 2036 1.0
                5 2010-05-31 Omori, Michael USA 2248 1.0
                6 2010-05-31 Selzler, Ricky USA 2209 0.5
                ID Name Country Rating Total Games DB
                2016850 Raptis, Nick USA 2246 4.0 Game
                Round Opp. name Opp. Fed. Title W.Title Opp. Rtng Score View
                1 2010-05-29 Lee, Megan USA 0 1.0
                2 2010-05-29 Wang, Michael USA 2047 0
                3 2010-05-30 Golub, David USA 0 1.0
                4 2010-05-30 Kelley, Dereque D USA 2203 1.0
                5 2010-05-31 Perez, Ignacio USA f 2227 0
                6 2010-05-31 Lessler, Peter USA 0 1.0

Comment

Man, what is WRONG with tournaments in the U.S.?! This is effed!

Comment

USCF crosstable:

http://main.uschess.org/assets/msa_j...931.1-12858009

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post

That rule appears to be awkwardly and ambiguously worded. It seems to me that I am violating that rule as we speak and in every tournament that I have ever played aside from any rated matches. I am currently playing in a Windsor League double round robin in which we play one game a week or more or less as our schedules permit. During the course of that rated event I shall be in competition with more than one opponent. In fact I will be in competition with hundreds of players while playing in various weekend or longer rated events over the course of playing in that rated event where once again I will be playing anywhere from three to possibly nine opponents (Canadian Open).

If you insert the word "simultaneous" between the word "in" and the word "competition" then the rule would be less ambiguous. Even less ambiguous would be:

During a rated event, no player is allowed to play simultaneously with more than 1 opponent, including opponents in other events.

You would have to add some kind of qualifier so that this did not apply to postal events.

Comment

There is a FIDE rule against that for norm tournaments.

The tournament system must be a fair one. Tournaments where the composition is changed (without FIDE approval) during the tournament or those where players have different conditions in terms of rounds and pairing are not valid.

More rounds for a player is a different condition in terms of rounds

Hello,

Thanks
                        Andrei

Comment

Working...
                        X