• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Chess Club Discussion Board Back

Welcome to the new OCC Message Board
    Posted on June 14, 2010 at 02:49:30 PM by Mahlon

Hi All

Welcome to the new OCC message board. It will be no more relevant or exciting than the old board.

As the sometimes vice-president of the Ottawa Chess Club, I noticed the board was down.

I reinstated it so the (very, very) few members of the OCC can keep in touch.

No, I have not seen NJF.

Cheers,

Mahlon

Re: Ottawa Chess Club Discussion Board Back

Please note that this is not, repeat not, the website for the principal chess club in the Ottawa area, the RA Chess Club, whose site can be found at ottawarachessclub.pbworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Welcome to the new OCC Message Board
      Posted on June 14, 2010 at 02:49:30 PM by Mahlon

Hi All

Welcome to the new OCC message board. It will be no more relevant or exciting than the old board.

As the sometimes vice-president of the Ottawa Chess Club, I noticed the board was down.

I reinstated it so the (very, very) few members of the OCC can keep in touch.

No, I have not seen NJF.

Cheers,

Mahlon
      Would anyone know:

- how to contact Mahlon?
      - their new weblink(s)?
      - am I still banned?! ;)

Comment

Because the OCC website expired, a lot of people may not have had access to the OCC message board, which did not expire along with the OCC website, at least not right away.

After the OCC message board expired, Mahlon soon revived it, as the topic of this thread indicates (the OCC website remains expired, however, unlike the OCC message board).

For those who did not save a direct link to the OCC message board (or who got rid of it at some point), here it is:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/boar...ttawachessclub
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          Because the OCC website expired, a lot of people may not have had access to the OCC message board, which did not expire along with the OCC website, at least not right away.

After the OCC message board expired, Mahlon soon revived it, as the topic of this thread indicates (the OCC website remains expired, however, unlike the OCC message board).

For those who did not save a direct link to the OCC message board (or who got rid of it at some point), here it is:

i miss ottawachessclub.com...my favourite memory of that was when i put javascript in the homepage to make the window shake (stolen from WWF site i believe) and people thought the site gave them a virus :)

Comment

After some long periods of inactivity, the revived OCC message board occasionally experiences a brief frenzy of activity.

Not too long ago, the old OCC msg board master Neil James Frarey put in a post, after some calls for him to run for CFC Prez again this year. He declined. The curious may wish to investigate the OCC msg board if they haven't visited in a while (or perhaps if they even might wish to ask NJF to reconsider ;)).
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 4th June, 2012, 06:40 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

The OCC board isn't worth reading with all the anonymous postings.

Comment

The OCC message board faded away more because of the slow death of the old version after months of waiting for a promised new OCC website. The OCC message board always had anonymous postings, yet was well used until the failure of the promised new website to arrive.

After Mahlon revived the OCC message board, most people didn't have a link to it saved, and they couldn't get to it via the then expired OCC website.

Nowadays one can get a link to the revived OCC message board by Googling for the OCC message board, but by now many OCC msg board posters from the old days have long since given up trying to find the OCC msg board, perhaps assuming it's long gone, I suspect. [edit: either that or they came back and found few posts on the revived msg board] [edit: another reason could be that NJF rarely posts anymore (at least under his own name) and no longer is involved in organizing; NJF was arguably the driving personality of the OCC msg board - a sort of cult of personality was built around him, one might say :)]

There still seems to be people who have a desire to post anonymously, as can be seen from time to time when chesstalk registration is circumvented and anonymous posters briefly make it into the chesstalk msg board.
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 5th June, 2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  The OCC board isn't worth reading with all the anonymous postings.
                  Today a game began on the OCC board between an anonymous player and all comers. Not sure what the rules are, I suppose they'll be made up as time goes on. :)

I guess even if the game's completed, it won't make it into CanBase, judging from your post alone.

Comment

A couple of people were asking me about the Ottawa Chess Club Message Board recently (it's not the RA club website, as has been noted). It's still running, although it's largely inactive for long periods still. For those interested, here's the link again (can still be found with a Google Search using keywords 'Ottawa Chess Club Message Board', too)):

Comment

Working...
                    X