New Canadian Girls Chess Club Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Canadian Girls Chess Club Report

Thanks to everyone who supported the girls club! Last week was the grand opening, and we had 6 girls ranging from ages 5-8 who came and listened to my lecture and then played in the tournament. :) I know it's not a lot of people, but with anything kind of organization/enterprise, starting it up is the hardest part. I have confidence that more and more girls will be attracted to this wonderful club in the future!

The feedback I got from the girls and parents who came were all very positive. I was told that my lecture was very clear and understandable that even the parents who knew nothing learned something! (in case you're wondering, I wasn't teaching now to move to pieces or set up the board, haha :p)

More importantly, all the girls who came had a fabulous time, including me! :) When I asked them if they would come back the following week, everyone nodded (yeah, a bit shy). I was honestly really happy to spend 3 hours of my Sunday afternoon with these adorable little girls.

email girlschessclub@gmail.com if you would like to join! thanks~

Hopefully everyone can continue to support the girls chess club!

Re: New Canadian Girls Chess Club Report

Maybe after you get them feeling comfortable with tournament chess, some of them might want more competition, like at Scarborough CC, and they'd start to play at both. They may be ready by then for a dual gender setting ( we have numbers of junior boys playing ).

SCC has 3 junior girls at the moment ( and there was a 4th checking us out last Thursday ) - as Yuanling says, you start small and it takes time, but persistence does sometimes pay off.

Good luck with your Girls' Chess Club.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 16th June, 2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X