Happy Father's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy Father's Day

I also come across this all the time. I have asked both Vlad and Gary how many books or scientific papers they have read pertaining to climate change. Each time I ask I never get a response. Yet they seem to think they are experts on the topic; without educating themselves on the topic. Go figure...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
      I also come across this all the time. I have asked both Vlad and Gary how many books or scientific papers they have read pertaining to climate change. Each time I ask I never get a response.
      You have to know how to ask proper questions. More accurately would have been to ask how many scientific papers by reputatable scientists.

If someone wants to give me a large grant to write a book either for or against climate change, I could do it.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        You have to know how to ask proper questions. More accurately would have been to ask how many scientific papers by reputatable scientists.

If someone wants to give me a large grant to write a book either for or against climate change, I could do it.
        Ah yes, the old "my experts are more expert than your experts" ... I was wondering when this would surface. Instead of "reputable" how about substituting "peer-reviewed and published"? That might be more interesting.

Now I suppose we will hear howls of protest that "peer-reviewed" by whom?
        It never ends. The Internet and Wikipedia have created a whole bunch of new experts on a lot of subjects.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Kerry, you just hit the nail on the head. The internet and wikipidia allow people to take any position on any topic and argue it to the nth degree.

Gary, lets do an experiment. Pick a topic like gravity for example. I could argue ad nauseum that it does not exist, it is only a theory and you have bought into the Religion of Gravity, to use Vlad's terminology. Or that you are a Gravity Hugger. What topic would you like to debate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            It never ends. The Internet and Wikipedia have created a whole bunch of new experts on a lot of subjects.
            Ah, yes. But for the real chess Mavens, who are versed in chess talent, you have to come to Chess Talk. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Kerry, you just hit the nail on the head. The internet and wikipidia allow people to take any position on any topic and argue it to the nth degree.

Gary, lets do an experiment. Pick a topic like gravity for example. I could argue ad nauseum that it does not exist, it is only a theory and you have bought into the Religion of Gravity, to use Vlad's terminology. Or that you are a Gravity Hugger. What topic would you like to debate?
              French Defence (hugger?)
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Gary, lets do an experiment. Pick a topic like gravity for example. I could argue ad nauseum that it does not exist, it is only a theory and you have bought into the Religion of Gravity, to use Vlad's terminology.
                As a student of the stock market I would argue gravity does exist. You may argue all you want that gravity does not exist. However, if you really beleive that you will fare about as well as the money managers who watched the effects of gravity on the stock charts and their assets.

The trick is not in arguing the existance of gravity. The trick is in making gravity work for you.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

For the stock market I think that people confuse gravity-like effects with regression to the mean; which is a statistical phenomena as opposed to a gravitational phenomena.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    French Defence (hugger?)
                    No, No! It's the Winawer Defence of the French Defence. I'm no longer anti-Winawer defence. I've started to enjoy watching aspiring players get creamed in an important game by a higher rated player who knows how to handle the Winawer.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                      One man's sociopathy is another's pragmatism
                      If you call a tail a leg, how many legs do sheep have?

Comment

For the stock market I think that people confuse gravity-like effects with regression to the mean; which is a statistical phenomena as opposed to a gravitational phenomena.
                        There you go Paul. By admission of a gravitional phenomena, you appear to have reversed your stance gravity does not exist. By my giving an unsound example, you have embraced the scientific view, reversing your side of the argument, to show I have erred.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

..."reputatable...??

"I told the boss to send them to school to learn to read and do math first."

Always entertaining! LOL.
                          Well nearly always.....
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

Gramma was not one of the learning topics. Or should I say grammar!?

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post

Always entertaining! LOL.
                              Well nearly always.....
                              If they're entertained they keep coming back.

I don't proof read much and every so often the spelling mavens pick me up.

It has been a good day, though. Paul started out arguing against gravity and ended up admitting it does exist. I bought a cheap stock in B.C.. You compared my spelling to your dictionary.

Probably my day has gone the best. :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                                If you call a tail a leg, how many legs do sheep have?
                                I'm afraid I cannot provide multiple peer-reviewed papers from prominent scientists in the field of sheep legs and tails to answer that question intelligently.
                                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X