X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book by former Montrealer

Play the London System
    Cyrus Lakdawala

is soon to be released by Everyman Chess.

In a recent interview, Professional Chess Coach Cyrus L. admitted that most of his chess these days focused on speed games on ICC and he was economizing his energies these past few years by playing only a couple of 1.d4 openings, it may be assumed this is one of them.
    Last edited by Howard Streit; Monday, 21st June, 2010, 07:33 AM.

Re: New book by former Montrealer

Cyrus and his brother Jimmy developed their chess skills in Montreal at the Lakeshore and Alekhine CC's, and at the original Cafe En Passant. This was at the same time (and same places) when Kevin and Grant Spraggett, Francois Leveiile, and Sylvain Barbeau were improving quickly.

The Lakdawala family left Montreal in the late 1970's in search of greener pastures (i.e. - free from Bill 101, etc.) in San Diego. Jimmy eventually took over their father's advertising business, while Cyrus continued to teach and play chess. Jimmy is rated 2305, and Cyrus is rated 2518.

Jimmy has not played since 1996; Cyrus plays in just about everything within a few hours' radius of San Diego. (when I last saw him, he told me he can't afford to play anywhere too far away - otherwise, he gets no imcome from his students. I don't think he's ever played outside of Canada and the western US). He received his IM title a few years ago.

Comment

Re: New book by former Montrealer

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Cyrus and his brother Jimmy developed their chess skills in Montreal.
      Hi Hugh,

I remember Cyrus and Daniel from the 70's when I was at the Montreal Chess League...they use to play in our scholastic events...hmmm...possible invitees :) for our 25th anniversary celebration :)

I am putting together a list of 125 invitees for Aug 22, 2010...exactly 25 years after our organization was incorporated as a non-profit organization....we have so many people to thank...I am considering making this a two day event (Aug 21-22)...I should be able to announce something by July 1, 2010.

I have started asking for donations from our suppliers and the response has been awesome...despite the poor economy! In the next week we will also be asking people we have supported over the years to make a contribution...and...if any of our loyal customers would like to show their appreciation....we ask you to send a cheque for $25 for 25 years :)...payable to Chess'n Math, 3423 St-Denis #400, Montreal, QC H2X 3L2.

Please address it to my attention and include your e-mail address...

I want to know...and say THANK-YOU. Chess'n Math is my baby...and if you share our vision...then I want to know that what we have done is appreciated!

You may ask...contribution for what?

We have two projects.

One is the North American Youth Championship which will be held in Montreal from August 16 - 19, 2010, This is the first time the event is being held in Canada. This event requires us to pay for lodging for the foreign delegations. So far, the U.S., Mexico and Haiti have indicated they will be sending players. We expect 120 to 150 participants (The host country last year...Mexico had about 120 players).

At this point we have 65 registered players.

The 2nd project is the creation of the Yves Charbonneau fund for the development of Canadian Youth.

This is totally exciting!

Yves Charbonneau was the CMA President for 16 years. He was my mentor!

I have never met such as honest straight forward individual! He would always ask me the right questions and he kept me on the straight and narrow! His son, Pascal Charbonneau, grew up within the CMA program and became a Grandmaster, Canadian Champion and a member of the Canadian Olympic team.

Pascal and his family will be a part of our 25th Anniversary Celebrations!

The Chess'n Math Association will donate $10,000 to this new fund. Pascal and I will be part of the board...as well as other interested parties...we want to make a difference!

International Master Igor Zugic and Canadian Master Marc Ghannoum have already joined the table of honour...if you have been part of the CMA experience....please contact me at bevand@chess-math.org send me an e-mail with 2010 in the subject line...I will take care of the rest :)

Larry Bevand
      Executive Director
      Chess'n Math Association

Comment

Working...
      X