FIDE Rated events in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Rated events in Canada

This is directed to those who have had FIDE tournaments.

Do these have to be CFC rated as well ?, I'm guessing the answer is yes, but it doesn't actually come out and say on the CFC page where it gives the FIDE rates.

The few FIDE tournaments I've been involved with have been both, but I never asked the question and that was before the FIDE floor has been lowered to a reasonable Class D level.

I think this is going to be one of the next big debates over the next 3-4 years.

Re: FIDE Rated events in Canada

The CFC keeps control of FIDE rated action in Canada by rating the events CFC as well and thus ensuring that the players are CFC members.

In light of FIDE's 1200 floor we can expect to see more Canadians becoming FIDE rated. If we ever switched wholesale to FIDE ratings or even a discreet FIDE option, CFC would still control event submission to FIDE.

Comment

my understanding is that, formally speaking, there is no requirement that the tournament be CFC rated although you can't have a FIDE event without CFC approval. But, practically speaking, if one started running tournaments only FIDE rated and removing CFC rating revenue, I would expect a governer motion to the effect that there be such a requirement.

Apart from the immediate revenue issue, there would be additional issues around the integrity and reliability of CFC ratings if some number of players stopped having enough (CFC) rated games.

Comment

I do think there might be a requirement at the FIDE level that everyone in a rated event must be a member of a recognized federation?

In that case, even if the event is not CFC rated, everyone would have to be CFC members or pay the $20 tournament fee...? Or am I just reading this wrong? Is this enforced?
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          I do think there might be a requirement at the FIDE level that everyone in a rated event must be a member of a recognized federation?
          Why should FIDE care about people being members of national federations ? Its aim is to make national federations completely dependent upon FIDE. When everyone down to 1200's will have a FIDE rating, the next step will be to have individual players members of FIDE, thus making national federations mere intermediates between FIDE and players, with less and less powers.

Comment

Working...
          X