Are Chess players fit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Chess players fit??

Absolutely not,in my opinion that I have seen in over 20 years of teaching to ALL age groups.Read the excellent Polish study on this subject,especially about the younger kids.Go to www.chessbase.com.

Re: Are Chess players fit??

I find the difference between North American chess players and European large. Here I would agree with you completely that chess players are generally not fit at all and tip the heavy side. Over there I would say the players are pretty much average for European standards. But actually it's not too uncommon for chess tournaments in Europe to organize tennis or football or some sort of sporting event on the side for the players.

Comment

Mississippi is the fattest state in the US. It's easy to see why. Almost no one walks anywhere; the place is made for cars, not pedestrians; and although vegetables are a lot cheaper than in Ottawa, looks to me like lots of people prefer fried ... everything.

It's no secret why people are getting fatter and generally unhealthier. Check out the drive-through window at the nearest fast food joint. Then go inside (but don't buy anything while in there ;-) ). I checked out a Wendy's down here. People were so lazy that they wouldn't get out of their cars, go into the place, get their order and get back into their car even though it would have *saved* them a good five minutes in total, by my reckoning. In other words, they were willing to sit in their car, allow it basically to idle for six or seven minutes while crawling slowly forward in line, just to save themselves from having to walk a round trip of about one minute. I've noticed the same in Ottawa. The Greens figure these folks will be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make this planet sustainable. It's laughable.

At the CMA camps we run in Ottawa I make sure that we get at least two one-hour physical activities daily (generally soccer), one before lunch and one in the afternoon. It's sad that some of the teenagers are slower and less agile than I am. One camper told me that he normally gets zero exercise - ever. I'm afraid that between TV and computers it's going to get worse rather than better.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        The Greens figure these folks will be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make this planet sustainable. It's laughable.
        Generally speaking you are correct, but doing nothing does not improve the situation. Everything starts with education!

It does not appear to me that chess players are less fit then the general public with the same intelectual type of activities (musicians, for example)

Comment

Over 1 million Americans weigh over 500 pounds. You will find many of them at the breakfast buffet in the Circus Circus hotel in Las Vegas - it's gross!

Get up and walk around between moves.

Comment

Chess players from BC are, since we play hockey on Thursdays. Like, you think I'm gonna become a fatso and let Jack Yoos pull a move and get past me? Heh... I don't think so...

Comment

There is an excellent TED lecture on the "Obesity epidemic"; just practice your googling to find it...

Comment

Are you referring to Jamie Oliver's lecture?

http://vodpod.com/watch/3037613-jami...esity-epidemic

People should know how to eat well. It's criminal that some kids - and I see this occasionally when I go into schools to teach lessons at lunchtimes - get a lunch consisting of some cookies, a pseudo-food (e.g. any sort of chocolate spread) sandwich on white bread with a "fruit beverage" (containing 25% juice) and some carrot sticks that the kid tosses in the garbage.

But where are the parents? Surely people know that eating at fast food joints five times a week and stuffing your head full of processed crap is just bad for you, even if it has all the components (salt, sugar, fat) that make it taste so good? It's not rocket science and I have my doubts that "educating" people about the healthiness of apples vs apple pies is going to do very much. They already know what is good for them; they just don't want to eat it. Asking people to sacrifice short-term pleasure for long-term gain is not a winning strategy.

Take a look at the pile of food about 8 minutes into the video. I couldn't find a single vegetable or piece of fruit in the entire pile. No sensible person would find such a diet even remotely healthy.

Somewhat off-colour commentary below describing what I am talking about:

From Jon Stewart

Re: Masturbation

I masturbate. A lot. And yet, I don’t floss because it’s too much of a hassle. Ten seconds of joy over a lifetime of tooth decay, that’s what I’ve chosen.
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

In Chess Camps we too have the kids play games,soccer,basketball between the am and pm sessions.

In classes I have kids stretch,running on the spot.Most lunches I see are healthy but that depends on the neighbourhood the school is in.

I am apalled at the fitness level of most kids,and when I see their parents I quickly see why their kids look unhealthy.Very sad!!! The hockey chess kids of course are much fitter....

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                    it's not too uncommon for chess tournaments in Europe to organize tennis or football or some sort of sporting event on the side for the players.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6455

M.Carlsen's 7,5/10 will move him nearer to the Kasparov's highest-ever FIDE rating 2851 :D

Kasparov is (was) a football player too. (no pictures at this moment)

Comment

Carlsen wouldn't be the first Norwegian GM to excel at soccer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simen_Agdestein

Comment

Working...
                      X