2010 Canadian Open: Accelerated Pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Canadian Open: Accelerated Pairings

Will someone explain what we expect when accelerated pairing i s used?

We can now use the 168 entrants listed.

Does this mean that the Player seeded #1 will play Player seeded 21, instead of playing player # 83? For round 1?

If so, is this accelerated pairing system not disadvanatgeous to player # 21, as compared to lower rated players playing the even lower rated players?

Is there a guideline on how to conduct this Accelerated PAiring System?

Re: 2010 Canadian Open: Accelerated Pairings

You have the right idea Erwin. Based on 300 players, the plan is to accelerate for 4 rounds. So each quartile is initially paired among themselves.

Player 21 is probably an IM, happy to be playing a GM. Player #1 may be happy to have some rating points in his player history to minimize the risk of lost rating points. Advantages and disadvantages are difficult to pin down when there are multiple criteria.

Comment

Since registrations will not be accepted on site, will pairings for the first round be announced ahead of time?

Comment

I expect so Jamin.

Comment

First of all, thank you for the information Hal. It is nice to have an IA around.

Based on your reply, this is the way i see things .

For round 1, the list based on ratings will be divided into 4 (quartile) , and within that quartile, a mini-swiss pairings will be made.

For rounds 2,3 and 4, the standings based on points and ratings will be divided into 4 (quartile), and the mini swiss pairings repeated.

Secondly, I ask because i am considering taking bye/s but not in round where i will be paired with a master. I work until 6 pm and need soem time to travel to the playing site. Sometimes i ended up to 7 pm when i have to complete some things.

From rounds 5-9, i assume the normal swiss pairings will apply.

Comment

Working...
          X