Chess.ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess.ca

Dunno if there's a thread about this already, but what the hell happened to this site? Why is there this random ass banner up at the top with barely legible text? Why have the links on the left been decreased to only 4, so you have to click extra times to do anything? Like, who's going to expect ratings to be under products and services?! What is going on here?! Go back to the old design... Good lord!

Re: Chess.ca

There is a thread on this on the CFC board. Apparently the goal was "to make the front page more useful to potential sponsers".

If I was a potential sponsor, I would take one glance, and start running. We've gone from an ugly site with quick links along the side, to an ugly site that is less functional.

Comment

To an even more ugly site that's less functional. You have a giant blue bar at the side with only four links and ratings should be its own link. Also, why is the chess Olympiad under Products and Services. If you want to attract donors, make the Olympiad and the Canadian Open seperate links on the side. One last thing, why is Contact Info under About us and not under contact us?? Shouldn't the list of CFC Governors be under About Us? On the other hand, it's easy to criticize without putting any work into it yourself but the old design was way better.

Alex
      Last edited by Alexandru Florea; Saturday, 26th June, 2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
        ... what the hell happened to this site? ...
        My guess is that it's Van DoNothing's final, feeble attempt at self-actualization. ...sigh :(
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

The contact info business is quite mind boggling... Would be pretty easy to criticise even if I made it. Like, look at this CD artwork stuff I did for school. It's very pretentious. I got 94% on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
            what the hell happened to this site? ...products and services?! What is going on here?!
            Be thankful that there is still a website to go to! ( chess.ca )

Soon enough the CFC may be reduced to your membership card ( or membership # ) linked to a rating website. The end is near.

Comment

Vuvuzela - annoying people since 1660
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
                Be thankful that there is still a website to go to! ( chess.ca )

Soon enough the CFC may be reduced to your membership card ( or membership # ) linked to a rating website. The end is near.
                Would be cool with me, I guess. At least I wouldn't have to click extra links to get to the ratings.

Comment

I think if you ran for CFC president on the platform of CFC membership is cut in half, and the only service is your rating, you'd have a very decent chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                    I think if you ran for CFC president on the platform of CFC membership is cut in half, and the only service is your rating, you'd have a very decent chance of winning.
                    Everybody would like to see an increase in membership. However, it just is not happening. Leadership with new , inventive ideas required. Get chess in schools. Send out a magazine. Get a bookstore. New leaders required --- young and ambitious.

Comment

new , inventive ideas.... Get chess in schools. Send out a magazine. Get a bookstore.
                      I don't think the word "new" means what you think it does.

Comment

Leadership with new , inventive ideas required. Get chess in schools. Send out a magazine. Get a bookstore.
                        Unless I'm missing some sarcasm, those ideas don't seem very new and inventive. In fact, they sound distinctly 20th century.

Comment

It's too bad that if Tony has some CFC revitalization plans, he did not run as a Governor.

But I hope he will present some concrete plans to his local governor, to present to the rest of the governors for their consideration.

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 28th June, 2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            It's too bad that if Tony has some CFC revitalization plans, that he did not run as a Governor.

But I hope he will present some concrete plans to his local governor, to present to the rest of the governors for their consideration.

Bob
                            A good start may be to have chess taught as a option on the public and secondary school ciriculum. Other countries are doing it.

http://expatchess.blogspot.com/

But personally, these types of efforts need "fresh blood" . Contact with Local MP's and a National effort.

Comment

What? Why are chess politics being discussed in here now? That crap's hella boring. If you're going to go off-topic, at least discuss this video or something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSvZPZXwJU

Comment

Working...
                              X