Rating Changes between 2006-2010 for BC vs Ottawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating Changes between 2006-2010 for BC vs Ottawa

I did some data mining of the CFC ratings for Victoria, Ottawa, and Vancouver to look at what effect, if any, the rating boon in 2007 and subsequent addition of participation & bonus points has had. Full details are at: http://www.victoriachess.com/misc/ratingstats.htm

Executive summary: Ottawa has gone up by ~100 points, Victoria by 0, Vancouver by some amount <=50

It seems reasonably clear that there is some differential regional effects of the rating system. Explanations for this might be:
    - participation points inflate regions with more activity
    - potentially some effect due to large numbers of junior events in BC (essentially no cfc junior events in ottawa)
    - actual changes in skill.

Other observatons:
    - BC has a huge number of people who have played recently (~750 vs the number of actual cfc members is ~250). The vast majority of these are juniors playing in junior only events which do not require CFC membership or tournament membership, pay only a rating fee of $0.50/player, and are rated below 1000. (Ottawa has no corresponding activity - presume it is CMA instead) Considering that the governers voted to double the adult tournament membership fee to $20 and not have a membership model based on allowing occasional players to play cheaply, this is all surprising. It also follows that most of the data entry time for ratings is for events for which the only revenue if $0.50/player. It has never been clear to me what the correct cost of rating is, I sure hope $0.50 is not a loss leader.

80%-90% of CFC life members are inactive. Sure some of these are involved in organization but most are unfamiliar names who are disengaged from the CFC and perhaps even dead. Suggesting that the CFC active membership is ~1900 people (http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.shtml) probably overstates the case by 300 people. Governerships are allocated are allocated on a per membership basis - including all life members in this calculation is probably not quite appropriate.

Re: Rating Changes between 2006-2010 for BC vs Ottawa

I would be interested in seeing a list of all life members whose last known address was in Quebec. I'm sure I could pick out deceased players and those who have left the province.

Likewise - I'm sure there are others that could do the same thing for their province.

Comment

pretty easy to do Hugh. Go to http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.shtml and download the quebec file, import into Excel, convert text to columns and sort on expiry date. Lifers are the ones whose membership expires in 2099.

Comment

Thanks, Roger - but the link doesn't point to the right file. The one I finally downloaded is the (undated) "TD List" on http://www.chess.ca/ratings.shtml.

For memberships expiring in 2099:

1) Some expire on Jan. 1.
        2) Most expire on Dec. 1.
        3) Some expire on Dec. 31. (Some of these I assume these are "honouary" - e.g. GM's, IM's - but it's not consistant - e.g. IM Stephen Glinert has an expiry date of Dec. 1).

For others - can someone explain (1), (2), and (3)?:

1) Some expire on Jan. 1, 1940.
        2) Some expire on Feb. 1, 1941.
        3) Some expire on Jan. 1, Feb. 1, or Mar. 1, 1950.
        4) Some expire prior to today. These players have probably never renewed.
        5) One expires on Dec. 1, 1006.
        6) See Witt, Laszlo below.

Now for Quebec life members:

Brunet, Philippe - deceased for at least 2 years. (the Philippe Brunet Memorial has been held in New Brunswick for at least the last 2 years).

Gersho, Jack - passed away Sept. 17, 2004.

Other names I know:

Witt, Laszlo (Ontario) - deceased - has an expiry date of Dec. 31, 1099.
        Posma, Herman J. (Ontario) - passed away some years ago.

Biyiasis, Peter - listed under BC, with a California address. (should be listed under "US").

Comment

Hugh, I can give you the numbers for the Inner Galactic Chess Federation membership. The number is 1. Just me.

The IGCF did not lose any members in the last year. The books balanced. Zero income and Zero expendidtures. So far the membership fees are free.

The only rating is mine. I have a rating of 4864.

There is no membership fees as the Inner Galaxy has no official currency.

Members of the Inner Galactic Chess Federation get their money's worth.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The irony would be your objections to some entries at a past Canadian Closed. I hope we can get your guarantee that you will not ever enter such an event if your rating remains under 2200. Certainly there are underrated junior players everywhere, I can remember my juniors playing many junior events and it was never ratings beneficial to them. After years of such events I don't remember you cutting any slack on ratings based floors.

In fact, there was a big movement for a while there to make entries more difficult. The Guelph International was one of our favorites but we didn't go one year because the rating floor was increased to 2100 FIDE. The Bayview Club ( now defunct ) was big on ratings restrictions.

How did it all work out ? Seems to me restricting entries in a declining market is illogical. In particular, restricting promising juniors is a sure way to reduce the strength of your future playing pool and the overall energy at chess events.
            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 27th June, 2010, 01:02 PM.

Comment

one of the floaters at the Keres had a 1940 expiry date. The CFC wanted a tournament membership for him so (and did not explain the meaning) so... not sure.

I believe the ones that expire prior to today (but recently) are (mostly) tournament memberships that were taken out on that date.
              Last edited by Roger Patterson; Sunday, 27th June, 2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

My memory is a bit foggy but ...

The 1940 date used to mean that the person played in an event without being a CFC member (or in a few cases paid for a membership at, and played in, Event A, but it wasn't remitted until Event B, which they had also played in, had already been submitted and rated). I don't know if that is the way it is still done or not.

I tend to agree that CFC ratings in Ottawa are inflated. I don't know if it's the worst in the country, but would be surprised if it weren't in the top five inflated.
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I'm not sure what your point is. That there should be no restrictions on entry to the Canadian Closed?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    one of the floaters at the Keres had a 1940 expiry date. The CFC wanted a tournament membership for him so (and did not explain the meaning) so... not sure.
                    Maybe the 1940 is a "best before" date.

I get a laugh out of todays parents. They came to the party with their kids 30 years too late. They don't realize a player spends the younger years leaning to play chess and starts to become a chess player after they turn 20.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Some anecedotal 'data' about some of the top tier players in Ottawa and the RA club (which always makes up a good chunk of Ottawa and Eastern Ontario players):

I remember that Ottawa had about ten adult master players, of varying ages, who went below 2200 during the ~2004-2006 CFC regular rating deflationary period (at least that's what the CFC Ratings Committee deemed it to be, before the relatively recent rating boon).

Nowadays there are seven players in the RACC in Ottawa who have regular CFC ratings of 2200 or higher, though at least three or four of those players are juniors.

I would expect those juniors to have improved thus, since they are talented and each have an experienced chess coach.

Back ~2002 I myself had peaked at 2358 after being on a bit of a tear that year. Then deflation hit and I eventually dropped below 2200 in the deflationary period. After the boon I was about 2250, I seem to recall.

Since then I haven't lost very many games, and I've put in a little extra study time weekly for at least a year. Nothing much heavier than playing over database games for selected opening variations, with a program alerting me to tactics when I have a question.

I haven't much noticed an increase in the quality of my slow TC tournament games, but maybe a drop in gross blunders. Plus I tend to play the man for my choice of opening as much as ever. I'm now 2400 exactly. Not sure if it's due to inflation because of bonus points (awarded differently than back in the 1990s, for instance), or participation points (which are awarded the way they used to be back when the rating system seemed stable, in the 1990s), or if it's an improvement in my playing strength. Anyway, I'm almost 50, so age/fitness should be starting to be a bit of a handicap, perhaps.
                      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 27th June, 2010, 10:10 PM.
                      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                        Anyway, I'm almost 50, so age/fitness should be starting to be a bit of a handicap, perhaps.
                        Your theory and understanding of the openings you play appears to me to be quite good. Your willingness to do the work (work ethic) appears to be paying off for you.

At 50 you're still a young man.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

oops hugh - looks like I gave you the wrong address; should have been http://www.chess.ca/ratings.shtml (that you eventually used). But no need to use the TD list (everyone), the lists by province are at the bottom of the page.

Comment

this page http://www.chess.ca/CFCvsFIDE.htm also shows a steady creep of CFC ratings upwards... (no regional info though)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                              this page http://www.chess.ca/CFCvsFIDE.htm also shows a steady creep of CFC ratings upwards... (no regional info though)
                              Or a steady creep of FIDE downwards...

Comment

Working...
                              X