Hypothetical political platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical political platform

Given below is a hypothetical platform for a fictional Iced Tea Party of Canada. Hypothetically, would you vote for the Iced Tea Party?

Platform for the Iced Tea Party of Canada:

We have 5 goals to improve Canada for its citizens, as listed below in descending order of priority:

1. Improve the Economy (Reduce the Debt, Grow Jobs, Build Manufacturing Base and Research and Development in Canada);

2. Improve the Environment (Reduce or Combat Pollution);

3. Improve Society (Reduce Crime, Fight Addictions, Improve Education & Health Services where not Provincial matters involved, Tighten Immigration, Move away from Multi-Culturalism to Integration like American ideal, Give better tax incentives to have families);

4. Improve Culture (Give Incentives to have world class cities, artists, chefs, writers, poets, film-makers, playwrights, athletics, etc. in Canada when affordable);

5. Improve Canada's Stature Internationally (return to Peacekeeping role, except only if we/NATO are attacked, Host world summits and sports events, and contribute more foreign aid, when affordable).
    Yes
    23.53%
    No
    76.47%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Hypothetical political platform

Where's the chess plank?

Comment

let's see - all the platform points are:

"Improve" something

versus presumably the "party's" platform of "Make that thing worse"

What you would call slanting the poll results. I will however point out that not everyone would agree that the part you give in brackets is synomonous with "Improve X" outside the brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Where's the chess plank?
        It would be implicit under 'Improve Culture'. I didn't want to say it specifically, for fear of slanting the results on a chess message board.

The parts in the brackets of each point of the platform can of course be fleshed out even further at a hypothetical Iced Tea policy convention :D. They are not all unobjectionable to everyone, as Roger points out, which is why I included such real content, in order not be just seen as pandering to everyone with an otherwise vacuous platform.

Btw, the idea for such a platform/party came from the weekend conversations I have with my slightly younger brother. Last time he asked me what I'd do if I were Prime Minister. So I promised I'd write up a platform :). Putting it on chesstalk is for some discussion/feedback/polling. I once wrote a manifesto for Ottawa municipal politics on the old OCC message board, before it expired. I got no feedback. Sad, because I think municipal politics affects people's lives at least as much as other levels.

If I ever have money to burn, I may put my name/party on a ballot some day ;).
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 28th June, 2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post

If I ever have money to burn, I may put my name/party on a ballot some day ;).
          A good politician would find a way to do it with the voters money.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            A good politician would find a way to do it with the voters money.
            Or with donations from supporters. I may not have many supporters to start out with though :(.

Comment

which is why I included such real content,.....
              "real content". Really? So, to pick a random example from your list, do you plan to "Reduce the Deficit" by:

a) Raising taxes
              b) Lowering taxes (and get more revenue from increased economic activity)

c) Cut government spending across the board
              d) Increase government spending across the board (to increase economic activity)

d) Cut government spending in specific programs
              e) Increase government spending in targetted programs (i.e. to increase productivity)

e) Lower interest rates (=less interest on government debt)
              f) Print the money, not borrow it. (will raise interest rates due to inflation)

g) Institute user pay programs for government services?
              h) Eliminate waste (an old favourite of critics)
              i) other

All of these methods have someone, somewhere advocating them. So, you see, I'm not sure if you plan to increase or decrease taxes, raise or lower government spending, or what. Not to mention any internal contradiction with the rest of your platform.
              Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 28th June, 2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                "real content". Really? So, to pick a random example from your list, do you plan to "Reduce the Deficit" by:

a) Raising taxes
                b) Lowering taxes (and get more revenue from increased economic activity)

c) Cut government spending across the board
                d) Increase government spending across the board (to increase economic activity)

d) Cut government spending in specific programs
                e) Increase government spending in targetted programs (i.e. to increase productivity)

e) Lower interest rates (=less interest on government debt)
                f) Print the money, not borrow it. (will raise interest rates due to inflation)

g) Institute user pay programs for government services?
                h) Eliminate waste (an old favourite of critics)
                i) other

All of these methods have someone, somewhere advocating them. So, you see, I'm not sure if you plan to increase or decrease taxes, raise or lower government spending, or what. Not to mention any internal contradiction with the rest of your platform.
                Choosing from methods a) to i) that you list may depend on the times/circumstances, possibly to be announced on an election trail :). There are enough other specifics in the Iced Tea Party platform (e.g. move away from multiculturalism) that could apply regardless of the times or mess on the books that a previous government leaves to be discovered.

As for any internal 'contradictions' you may think there are in the platform, the points are given in order of descending priority, as stated. If you wish you can post a link to any (major?) parties' platform and let viewers compare.

Comment

If you wish you can post a link to any (major?) parties' platform and let viewers compare.
                  Here's an example of a brief 5-point policy party platform for you, spelled out (on the introductory page at least) at a vague level of detail similar to my platform:

http://www.canadianactionparty.ca/policies

Comment

aah yes, a party that has no seats, 0% of the popular vote, no respect. That's a good plan to model your new party on.
                    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 28th June, 2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

aah yes, a party that has no sets, 0% of the popular vote, no respect. That's a good plan to model your new party on.
                      Funny, I didn't say I modelled the Iced Tea Party on CAP. The U.S. Tea Party might be closer.

Comment

Just scanning it briefly, the website for the U.S. Tea Party Platform seems a bit of a hoot. Lots of ranting, but hard to make out exactly what they'd do:

http://theteapartyplatform.com/

I didn't look at the Tea Party platform or the CAP platform when I formed the Iced Tea Party platform. Just a co-incidence it has 5 points, like CAP's platform, except 5-point plans seem popular in politics.

I voted for CAP a couple of times long ago. Now their opposition to globalization looks prophetic, considering China is largely the world's banker. Prophets often get no respect. Founders of CAP were some Libs and NDPers who were anti-globalization.

Comment

aah yes, a party that has no seats, 0% of the popular vote, no respect. That's a good plan to model your new party on.
                          I noticed Paul Hellyer listed. Possibly you recall him.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

As of right now the Iced Tea Party has 4 votes (8 votes against)

If this were representative of the country, the 8 votes against could easily be split amongst the other parties.

The Iced Tea Party would come up the middle and win a minority gov't :)!

Comment

The Iced Tea Party would come up the middle and win a minority gov't :)!
                              I think you're trying to make the figures say what you want them to say.

Anyhow, I'm the President of the Inner Galactic Chess Federation and know little of these attempts to reform the political fortunes of an insignificant planet like Earth, the third rock from a yellow star. :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X