Who is Running for CFC Executive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Running for CFC Executive

With only 11 Days till the Canadian Open are there any concrete postings on who is running for what positions?

Re: Who is Running for CFC Executive

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    With only 11 Days till the Canadian Open are there any concrete postings on who is running for what positions?
    John, for information on CFC business you should visit the CFC discussion board. Back on June 9th, the following volunteers announced their intention to run for the following:

President - Robert Gillanders
    Vice President - Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
    Secretary - Lyle Craver
    Treasurer - Fred McKim
    Youth Coordinator - Michael Barron
    Past President - Eric van Dusen
    FIDE Representative & Zone President - Hal Bond, I.A. / I.O.

For the complete announcement and discussion, you should visit the CFC discussion board. Various CFC issues have also been discussed for several weeks now. :)

I am not aware of any other public annoucement of candidates.

Comment

Hi John:

I think the CFC is fortunate to have someone of Bob’s caliber step forward.

So far there are no other declared candidates for any of the positions.

But former CFC President Chris Mallon has indicated he may run to replace Eric Van Dusen, past CFC President, in the “ Past President “ position, and Governor Ken Craft has indicated he would be willing to nominate Chris ( allowed by the CFC Handbook ). But I don't think it can be said Chris has formally announced his candidacy - it was more like floating the idea I think.

And I second Bob G's comment that for full information on CFC affairs, one should visit the members' CFC Chess Forum. Only dribs and drabs re CFC appear on this CMA board.

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 30th June, 2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Chris Mallon has formally announced his candidacy on the CFC site. GL #5 was obviously the last straw.

Comment

Bob Armstrong - what are you talking about? Every candidate on Bob Gillander's slate has declared their candidacy. I have declared more than once for FIDE Rep, and most recently in the latest GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            Bob Armstrong - what are you talking about? Every candidate on Bob Gillander's slate has declared their candidacy. I have declared more than once for FIDE Rep, and most recently in the latest GL.
            I understood his post to say there were none declared other than those listed in Mr. Gillander's post; a list that includes yourself.

Comment

Hi Neil:

Thanks. That is exactly what I meant, since I was adding to Bob G.'s post. I assumed that everyone would have read his post, and known that I meant no one other than those Bob G had posted about.

Bob

Comment

Sorry about that guys! I misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  John, for information on CFC business you should visit the CFC discussion board. Back on June 9th, the following volunteers announced their intention to run for the following:
                  I don't normally go there.

What's the percentages of running for CFC president? Do you have any concrete idea on how to increase the membership and bring chess to the masses with new ideas and/or publicity? Will you simply be "putting in" a year?

After a year, if the membership drops by a couple of hundred members you will be seen as Blooper Bob instead of Super Bob. :)

What's the upside? The planned accomplishments which will enhance the organization.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    I don't normally go there.

What's the percentages of running for CFC president? Do you have any concrete idea on how to increase the membership and bring chess to the masses with new ideas and/or publicity? Will you simply be "putting in" a year?

After a year, if the membership drops by a couple of hundred members you will be seen as Blooper Bob instead of Super Bob. :)

What's the upside? The planned accomplishments which will enhance the organization.
                    Gary,

I hope to accomplish the following:

1. Improve the relationship between Executive/ Governors/ Members thru better communications.
                    2. Improve the website.
                    3. Increase the membership to 2,000 by May 1st next year.

If you are genuinely interested, perhaps you should visit the CFC discussion board. I know it isn't as amusing as chesstalk, but......:)

Comment

Gary,

to whomever becomes part of the executive (Bob or others). send out an invite to come back to the CFC to people who's membership has expired in the last 5 (10?) years. i don't play many tournaments anymore, but it's very possible that i would buy a membership if i received some sort of flyer saying what my membership helps with etc. etc.

Comment

Gary,

1. Improve the relationship between Executive/ Governors/ Members thru better communications.
                        2. Improve the website.

If you are genuinely interested, perhaps you should visit the CFC discussion board. I know it isn't as amusing as chesstalk, but......:)
                        Well, I want to have fun so I stick to ChessTalk and the friendly enthusiasts here. The CFC discussion board reminds me more of a right wing think tank. Lots of ideas The Borg won't endorse.

1. Nice to see.
                        2. Why? The web site doesn't do anything much. If you wanted to add a server to the site for CFC run events and automate the rating process through the web site I could see it.
                        3. That's an increase of 117 members. Roughly 6.25% increase, if you can do it. I think it's hard to know because of the snub the westerners got on the Olympic team.

a. The greatest concentration of player potential for increasing the membership is Quebec. If you can bring them into the fold I'd be impressed.
                        b. You could use creative accounting. Figure maybe a quarter of those who don't renew will likely renew in the future so count a quarter of those as members. Kind of creative accounting. Like counting honourary members.

c. You could hold a draw for new members. Those who haven't been CFC members in 3 years, or ever. Hold an annual draw. Put the names in a hat and the winner gets $200.00.

(A + C) - B = a formula to increase the membership. (Chess players like formulas better than snake oil salesmen.)

There's lots of ideas of how to increase membership but the bottom line is they have to appeal to peoples desire to get something for their money or win something. After all, if chess players are nothing else, they are competitive.
                        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Wednesday, 30th June, 2010, 03:30 PM.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary,

2. Improve the website.

It is possible that my response properly belongs on the CFC discussion board, but I do not yet have privileges to post there... :(

I am interested in helping the efforts to improve the CFC website, and I have the technical capabilities to do so if there is interest by whomever is elected to the Executive.

I am *not* interested in chess politics - perhaps especially in Canada, but would be willing to volunteer my technical expertise in the name of chess.

In case anyone is checking, my membership is not current with the CFC. I always renew right before the "Battle at the Border" - moved this year to just before Labour Day. (And this year I will likely be buying a membership for my son for the first time).

My understanding is that "committee" is the official name for a group of buzzards, so perhaps I have just volunteered to be carrion but there you have it for what it's worth.

Hopefully I will hear from someone inquiring about just what capabilities I have, and about how I can best contribute.

Thanks!

--jon

P.S. Feel free to repost this in "the other place".

Comment

Jonathan,

Thank you for your offer of assistance on the website, and your post is now on "the other place". :)

Please extend my best wishes to your son on his first tournament!

Comment

Thanks Bob!

Comment

Working...
                              X