True stories of CFC rated games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True stories of CFC rated games

Recently I had a thoroughly enjoyable discussion about tournament games which wound up in a humorous fashion. I thought of sharing some that stood out and ask which you find the most humorous? These are true stories of CFC rated regular games.

a) “Do you wish to resign?”
    Two juniors were battling it out when one suddenly dropped his queen. His opponent stuck out his hand and asked “Do you wish to resign?” Incensed at the audacious offer the former played on until he was left with only his king and was mated.

b) “Actually I resigned!”
    Two older gentlemen were engaged when one solemnly offered his hand. His opponent accepted the handshake, stopped the clock, and recorded a draw on the wallchart. At this point the other player came up and exclaimed “Actually I resigned!” And they scratched out the draw and recorded a win!

c) The Big Clean-up
    A player on his way out of the tournament hall paused at a table where both players happened to be momentarily absent while their clock ticked on. He inexplicably stopped the clock and cleaned-up the pieces at which point the two players returned in disbelief! The TD was signalling that he would simply set the game back up according to the scoresheet, however, caught up in the moment one of the players began insisting on a draw. And to the eternal disbelief of all those now watching, amidst cries of “I claim a draw! I claim a draw!” the opponent agreed to a draw. And that was how the game ended.

d) “Checkmate OUCH!!!”
    A crowd had gathered to watch the last game in a round. The TD was becoming impatient because it was getting close to the next round time and he wanted to get the pairings done. The tense struggle continued until dramatically one player allowed a back rank mate. The moment his opponent released his rook on the back rank to deliver mate the TD announced “Checkmate OUCH!!!” and was off to do the pairings.

e) You can’t take my King!
    On a personal note the most humorous that happened to me is as follows: I failed to realize that an exchange of pawns in the centre had left my king exposed in check by the enemy bishop on the long diagonal. I made a move and then my opponent calmly slid his bishop across the board and removed my king! It was no use trying to convince my reticent opponent to give me back my king, so I went to the TD who ruled that I had made an illegal move, put my king back, and allowed me to make a legal move. So the game continued and I won, the only game I’ve ever won despite briefly losing my king!

Re: True stories of CFC rated games

One time, I was playing in the Canadian Open in Kitchener. Played against this Indian IM whose last name was Gokhale. Prior to and following the game, I talked endlessly of how he could easily make a rap album called "Got Yourself a Glockhale". The game was a draw.

Comment

Re : True stories of CFC rated games

A friend of mine was playing in a lower section ...I saw him outside the tournament room and asked him about his game .

He told me he has a good game and he told me he just play a good move who give him the advantage ...he tell me to go to board 95 .

When i arrive at his board i saw the position ,the clock was stopped , his oppenent was written the result on the result card and i take a look of the position white ( my friend) was checkmate :D..

My friend arrive saw the position ,look his scoreshett and he tell me dam it ! i forgot the mate on h7 ........

Comment

Once a young man played a move against me, and offered a draw (neither of us was in time trouble). I played a move in reply that gave checkmate and calmly said 'checkmate'.

My opponent's young master-strength peer sitting at the next board, on our table, who watched all this unfold, smiled widely, and seemed to struggle to keep himself from laughing :).
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 2nd July, 2010, 01:44 PM.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I had a tournament game featuring 7 underpromotions. Yes not just regular promotions.

Tim Krabbe doesn`t seem to be aware of this.

The game is even mentioned in an old Counterplay issue.BC`s chess magazine.

White was Gary Basanta I was black.

Comment

The funniest moment I ever saw at the board was at a Canadian Open in Ottawa. On the board next to me, a winning move was played. The other guy showed no reaction for about 15 seconds - a tremendous poker face. Then, all of a sudden, he went backwards a foot or so as if he'd been punched in the head! Everyone around burst into laughter.

The worst tournament moment I ever saw was in a scholastic event a million years ago. We were all watching the top board as we thought the fix might be in. However, the guy we thought would win didn't. Feeling guilty for suspecting wrongdoing, I watched the players get up and head out peacefully. Then the loser shouted "You were supposed to lose!" and started throwing punches!

In a round-robin event, my opponent resigned. He then stood up and announced to the room that I was a "coffee-house player" as he should have won easily. The next morning, he was standing outside the building and I expected him to apologize.

Instead he told me excitedly in French "Fritz me donne raison (Fritz says I'm right)!" Not in the mood to even pretend to be civil, I replied quietly in English "That's quite the nifty piece of software to give you permission to be an a******." and kept on walking. While I felt better, he probably never even understood what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Lambruschini View Post
              Recently I had a thoroughly enjoyable discussion about tournament games which wound up in a humorous fashion. I thought of sharing some that stood out and ask which you find the most humorous? These are true stories of CFC rated regular games.

Two juniors were battling it out when one suddenly dropped his queen. His opponent stuck out his hand and asked “Do you wish to resign?” Incensed at the audacious offer the former played on until he was left with only his king and was mated.
              This brought a fond memory of one of my trips to the Canadian Chess Challenge. I had just won a piece and was already up three pawns on top of that. I had a crushing position and I asked, "Do you resign?" My opponent stared at me and kept on playing. I was wondering why he wouldn't resign and I dropped my queen two moves later!

A foreigner who spoke no english was playing a junior. Being down two peices with no hope, the junior offered a draw to his unrated opponent who thought it was a resignation and shook hands. Then he saw the kid write down 0.5 on the wall chart...

I had just thrown away a win in the last round and ended up drawing. I went to my board for the next game and after 15 minutes, I realized that neither me nor the player beside had their opponent present. I looked at the board I was sittin at at saw it was one above the correct board. Every player ahead of me moved up a board and I remembered 4th board from the top instead of board 27 ( there were multiple sections). After asking the other player for his name and finding out he was my opponent I sat across from him and tried to reset the clock. My opponent wouldn't let me and the TD was called. The TD made me play with 15 minutes less. ( that's a lot since we were playing 30 min each)
              Last edited by Alexandru Florea; Friday, 2nd July, 2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Neil wrote:

The worst tournament moment I ever saw was in a scholastic event a million years ago. We were all watching the top board as we thought the fix might be in. However, the guy we thought would win didn't. Feeling guilty for suspecting wrongdoing, I watched the players get up and head out peacefully. Then the loser shouted "You were supposed to lose!" and started throwing punches!
                I remember this well. I won't give the players' names - but one I run into every now and again - he's a successful plumber making loads of money - no chess for him in a while. The other is a house painter with a long waiting list - and is a tournament regular.

Comment

Re : Re: True stories of CFC rated games

Originally posted by Dale Haukenfrers View Post
                  I had a tournament game featuring 7 underpromotions. Yes not just regular promotions.

Tim Krabbe doesn`t seem to be aware of this.

The game is even mentioned in an old Counterplay issue.BC`s chess magazine.

White was Gary Basanta I was black.

Can you publish the game here ?

Comment

No since I don`t have the gamescore.

However it was a Sicilian.
                    I think a Boleslavsky variation.

Comment

Haha thanks for your responses. It's funny to see how some of the experiences I mentioned have been paralleled elsewhere in the chess universe. For the record, Jean's checkmate story had me laughing the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Lambruschini View Post

i have been tempted to do this...i think it's better form to promote all my pawns to queens...

Comment

Re : Re: True stories of CFC rated games

Originally posted by Dale Haukenfrers View Post
                          No since I don`t have the gamescore.

However it was a Sicilian.
                          I think a Boleslavsky variation.
                          If nobody has the game score then it is (sadly) as if it never happened. This is one of the reason why our beloved tournament organizers must take the steps to preserve gamescores of their events. These are the only things that remain after the event...

Comment

I have a couple of interesting stories about CFC-rated games to share! I also have a few more which it's definitely better that I didn't, at least not right here and now, for legal reasons!

1) False claim for stalemate, not recognized!! This was at the Kingston Chess Club, and the players shall remain nameless for the purposes of this discussion, to protect the guilty! Player A, a Candidate Master and many-time Kingston champion, was in a difficult endgame position against Player B, rated just below 2000. Player B was short of time. Player A claimed 'Stalemate!'; Player B looked at the position briefly, and said 'OK'. The draw was duly recorded on the pairing sheet. The two players sat down to analyze the game, and about half an hour later, they realized that it was not Stalemate! :) :)

2) Phantom threat hallucinated, draw offered!! I had a game in a Kingston Championship several years ago, against one of the players in story #1 above. As Black, I played an obscure line in the French Winawer, one where White is supposed to hold a theoretical advantage, but I had a new move which I had analyzed, thought was better than published theory, and played it. My opponent sank into thought, and did not find the best response, giving me the advantage. The game progressed, I played well, and was winning. All of a sudden, I thought that I was going to lose, because I saw a very nasty threat which apparently couldn't be stopped. Up a piece, I decided to offer a draw. My startled opponent accepted. When we analyzed the game later, it turned out that the threat which I had assessed as so powerful could have easily been defended by a simple reply, which I had missed! :) :)

Comment

Working...
                            X