The Canadian Open From Home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Canadian Open From Home...

Of course, some of us are watching the Canadian Open from home. It's great. Email messages and comments can fly back and forth.

In case you're wondering, we are fans of Lawrence. Yesterdays loss was a heart breaker. We had been hoping there was a draw there. Is was not to be and today is another game. (We is myself and the person with whom I was exchanging emails.)

Of course, I always watch lower rated players playing the French Winawer against their higher rated opponents with the predictable results. One of the games being shown yesterday was looking good for black but in the end it was not to be. It's not always a bad choice because some players with white can't handle it. In such a case it's best for white to avoid that by playing the Trash or Tarrasch. 3. Nd2.

Of course, I'm always rooting for the Canadian players. Let's send the foreigners home with bad memories of long games and lost opportunties.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Re: The Canadian Open From Home...

Hi Gary - I am another one of the watch from home crowd, but am actually getting into Toronto for rounds 3 and 4. Pop down to spectate and I will buy you a beer.

I read your posts regularly - keep sane (probably too late for this)

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Probably I won't make it down. Problems walking these days. I think I read you come in from Port Hope. You'll be driving about 2 minutes from where I live on the way. Are you going for the AGM?

Decades of directing postal chess events and the chess lawyering that goes with it is hard on sanity. Other than that, it's all entertainment.

Gary
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Round 2. Checked the games on Monroi to see who Lawrence Day was playing. For some strange reason his game wasn't live. For us older guys Lawrence holds the main interest. He's the one we want to watch. Get with it, organizers. Give us what we want!

In any case, I settled on watching the Samsonkin game. Artiom played the romantic King's Gambit. I like to see the young masters branch into these type of openings and I kind of enjoyed the game. I think players who broaden their games in this manner tend to stay in the game more years. Interesting attacking chess and a wide range of openings and defences keeps the game from getting boring.

Anyhow, here are the notes I quickly made after the game ended. This should cut and paste to your Fritz.

[Event "Canadian Open Chess Championship"]
        [Site "Toronto"]
        [Date "2010.07.11"]
        [Round "2"]
        [White "Samsonkin, Artiom"]
        [Black "Barron, Michael"]
        [Result "1-0"]
        [ECO "C39"]
        [WhiteElo "2609"]
        [BlackElo "2375"]
        [PlyCount "85"]
        [EventDate "2010.??.??"]
        [Source "MonRoi"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 g5 4. h4 g4 5. Ne5 Qe7 {Salvio Defence.} 6. Nxg4 (6.
        d4 $1) 6... Qxe4+ (6... f5 7. Nf2 fxe4 8. Qh5+ Kd8) 7. Qe2 d5 8. Nf2 Qxe2+ 9.
        Bxe2 Bf5 10. Nc3 c6 {Maybe Nc6 and start to develop the pieces.} 11. d3 (11. d4
        Bxc2 12. Bxf4) 11... Bd6 12. O-O Ne7 13. Ng4 Nd7 (13... Bxg4) 14. Nh6 Be6 15.
        h5 Bc5+ 16. Kh2 Be3 17. Bxe3 fxe3 18. d4 f5 (18... Kf8 {
        The Knight which should have been cpatured earlier is in a sweet spot.}) 19.
        Rf3 Rf8 20. g4 fxg4 21. Rxe3 Rf6 (21... Rf2+) 22. Nxg4 Bxg4 23. Bxg4 Kd8 24.
        Rae1 Nc8 {Now the Master wipes up.} 25. Re8+ Kc7 26. Kg3 b5 27. a4 b4 28. Na2
        a5 29. Nc1 Rf7 30. Bxd7 Kxd7 31. Nd3 Rg7+ 32. Kf4 Nb6 33. Nc5+ Kd6 34. R1e6+
        Kc7 35. R8e7+ Rxe7 36. Rxe7+ Kd6 37. Rb7 Rf8+ 38. Kg5 Rg8+ 39. Kh6 Rg4 40. c3
        bxc3 41. bxc3 Rg3 42. Rxb6 Rh3 43. Rb7 1-0
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Round 2. Checked the games on Monroi to see who Lawrence Day was playing. For some strange reason his game wasn't live. For us older guys Lawrence holds the main interest. He's the one we want to watch. Get with it, organizers. Give us what we want!

In any case, I settled on watching the Samsonkin game. Artiom played the romantic King's Gambit. I like to see the young masters branch into these type of openings and I kind of enjoyed the game. I think players who broaden their games in this manner tend to stay in the game more years. Interesting attacking chess and a wide range of openings and defences keeps the game from getting boring.
          I too was looking for Lawrence's game, but it was not live... perhaps he or his opponent balked at using the Monroi device? In any case, I suppose I get what I paid for. It is great to be able to follow some of the games (or replay them or just grab the .pgn files all the same).

I noticed other threads about the phantom points and accelerated pairings and it seems clear that some of the players themselves may have problems understanding the pairings! I am coming around to the point of view (I believe Frank Dixon mentioned this) that one giant section - despite accelerated or fudged pairings - is NOT the way to go...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Round 3 was a bit of a let down. There were a lot of mismatches so I didn't watch for long. Ended up watching the Home Run Derby of the Baseball All Star Game.

I don't know if the problem is the pairing system or the rating system and I don't really care.

GM McShane dispatched a Winawer in fine fashion.

Personally, I think the Winawer should be enshrined in the Chess Hall of Fame. A proper inscription would be "Can't win with it, Can't lay off playing it."
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, you should come. There is a better view on players and monroi transmissions. (it might happened that those chairs will be ticketed as they are popular :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Gary, you should come. There is a better view on players and monroi transmissions. (it might happened that those chairs will be ticketed as they are popular :)
                The drive downtown is not appealing. If it was a easy location with handy parking I'd have played.

I gave some thought to taking a room at the hotel for my wife and myself, but didn't want to board the dogs in a kennel.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X