Vancouver coffee shop chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver coffee shop chess

Hi fellow chess aficionados from Vancouver.

I would like to play blitz chess at a coffee shop perhaps one evening a week.

Who wants to sign up for a chess and a coffee?

NM-Dale

Re: Vancouver coffee shop chess

It seemed to be fairly common for chess players to meet at Cafe Roma on Commercial Drive for chess evenings. An unrelated incident arose which caused them to move several blocks south to a cafe. I will check today to see if they have 'wandered back' to Cafe Roma.

Comment

Hi Howard.

Yes I know about the Roma incident and was almost there but just not that particular evening.

I would still be willing to play at Roma although I`m also willing to play at a more relaxing family friendly type of coffee shop with quiet music too.

Comment

I checked at Cafe Roma, still no one there. The south side of Park Royal Shopping Mall in West Van, 2nd floor, has a number of sharp, speed players most afternoons. Also upstairs at the Chapters bookstore on Howe, I am told on week-ends/evenings, a number of players play blitz on the long tables. I am on Bowen island so find it hard to get into Vancouver, otherwise I would happily accomodate you now and then. good luck in your search!

Comment

When the action shuts down at Park Royal Mall, it usually moves over to the nearby Delany's Coffee Bar and goes until 9:00 p.m.

This afternoon I was in a group of half-a-dozen people playing on the picnic tables outside the Stanley Park Tea House. I believe the plan is to keep that going for the summer.

Joe's Cafe on Commercial Drive had some action on Monday night, and of course there is always Robson Square by the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Meanwhile, a new site for 1-day active tournaments has been lined up and there should be an announcement soon!

Comment

Re: No more Starbucks/Chapters?

Has something happened to the usual Starbucks-Chapters downtown?

Mike Yip

Comment

Hi Dan.

I know of Park Royal but it is so far away for me to travel.

Stanley Park sounds like fun.
              What time of the day do you like playing in Stanley Park?
              I do play occasionally at Joe`s cafe with Wayne Ali Duncan and Don.

Hi Mr.Yip.

Do You live in Vancouver now?
              I think Chapters Starbucks evicted chess folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Haukenfrers View Post
                I think Chapters Starbucks evicted chess folks.
                Any reasons? (forgot to buy coffee from time to time?)

Comment

It wasn`t really the chess I don`t think that upset Starbucks. I think it was a bit of what you say (amnesia) as well as scary screaming too.

I think it was only a tiny percentage of the chess folks maybe but the baby got thrown out with the bath water accidentally too maybe.

Comment

Hi Dale

I have been living in Budapest since you last saw me(about a year and half ago)

Mike

Comment

If you are referring to the downtown Chapters on Robson&Howe, I've seen people play chess in there. I myself have spent a lot of time there having coffee with Bruce Harper.

Comment

Re: Vancouver Starbucks chess

Most of the players at the Robson/Howe Starbucks were good about buying coffee, etc., but eventually there were hangers-on who took up seating without buying anything. This led to complaints from other customers and the manager had to intervene. The "tragedy of the commons" unfolds yet again...

Comment

There will be a chess festival at Joe`s Cafe on Commercial Drive in Vancouver at 4 P.M. Today.

1150 Commercial Drive in Vancouver.

Comment

We've just started a chess gathering EVERY Friday evening at 7pm - 10pm (stay after 10 if you like, it opens 24hrs) in Richmond McDonald. This McDonald is spacious, we occupies a semi-private sunken section that accomodate about 10 boards.

7120 No 3 Road, Richmond (near the Southeast corner of No. 3 Road & Granville Ave in Richmond), about 8 mins walk from Richmond Brighouse SkyTrain station.

Last week we had 9 players, week before least we had 10. Almost all players are above 1600, some above 2000. Plays 5 mins, 15 mins, 30 mins games, your choice. Both weeks we played till 12pm.

Drop by and play, everyone welcome.

Comment

Oh that sounds like a lot of fun Michael Lo.

Its far away but sounds like so much fun that I think I should be able to make it there on some Fridays.

Comment

Working...
                              X