Canadian Open Speed Chess Championship - Sat. 8pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open Speed Chess Championship - Sat. 8pm

The OLDEST ESTABLISHED, PERMANENT FLOATING chess game IN TORONTO! comes to the Westin Harbour Castle, Saturday at 8pm, Metro West Ballroom, TD Vlad Dobrich. You don't need to be playing in the Canadian Open to enter the Speed tourney.

(Sorry young 'uns, you need to be about 50+ to get the joke.)

By the way, you can credit/blame Vlad for phantom points! Phil Haley invented the accelerated pairings system. Vlad invented phantom points as a way of implementing it.

David

Re: Canadian Open Speed Chess Championship - Sat. 8pm

Thanks David,
    I DID NOT invent hyper accelerated pairings, by the way! I never use computer pairings which I believe is the problem here. Once you let a computer do all the 'thinking' for you, it's hard to switch gears and step in to make a correction. In this tournament, you would have to make up 260 pairing cards, transcribe the information from the earlier rounds, and then do the pairings by hand. This would take several hours (but would have been worth it in this case).
    As for the Blitz Championship, I did start the Saturday Blitz way back in 1963! - at the old YMCA Chess Club at 40 College Street (now the police headquarters building). I helped reorganize the previous failed club with three others and by 1965 we were operating 7 days a week with 400 members. We had, as I recall, a novice tournament Monday nights, a 15 minute rapid wednesdays,and the blitz on Saturdays. But then we did not have internet chess to compete with. Those were the days!:)

Comment

Working...
    X