Canadian Open: Huge Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open: Huge Success

I would like to join in congratulating Brian Fiedler, Michael Barron and the rest of the team for a hugely successful Canadian Open. Special kudos to Hal Bond who did a great job of managing a large event according to demanding specifications. It has been a long while, much too long, since Toronto hosted a major national event. I would strongly encourage the team to take a breather and then think seriously about running another major event.
    Many thanks.
    Gordon Ritchie
    P.S. Yes, I have read the posts about pairing problems and allegations of thrown games. I have taken them fully into account, at their true value, in the above comment.

Re: Canadian Open: Huge Success

I too would like to congratulate all of those involved in organizing and directing this event for presenting us with this jewel of an event. Well Done!

I managed to thank the TD and arbiters afterward before I headed home but couldn't find Brian Fiedler and Michael Barron at the end though I did express my sentiments to Brian at least once or twice during the tournament.

There were some issues but they were relatively minor. The playing site was the best that I have seen in a while. It was well lit and well arranged.

I suggest that the dinner should be separated from the awards ceremony in the future. Maybe have it before the Saturday night speed chess event. Faced with the choice of driving home in the light or waiting around until 5:30 and having a presumably delicious dinner I opted for the safer daylight drive.

Traffic was insane the whole tournament. I have not noticed it being so bad in any other Toronto tournament that I attended recently. It reminded me of Los Angeles.

I brought a big box of chess books from home to study but only looked at four books all week. I spent too much on chess books. Three of the four books that I looked at came in very handy. The fourth I decided not to use,... yet.

I vowed to quit chess in disgust after my play in one of my games... for a week... in about a month or two....

Comment

Thanks to Brian and team for this highly succesful chess tournament....

I am particularly fond of remembering meeting GM Gagunashvili on board 4 in round 3.

I finally met with Aris from Ottawa. Thanks for the picture.

I appreciate explanation of Hal and Michael on the accelrated pairing.

Over all, it is a very memorable event specialy the blitz.

Comment

Only one player at the Canadian Open said on the feedback form that they wouldn't come back. 8 year old Jiaxin Dora Liu explained, politely and concisely, that it was a great tournament, but it had "funny pairings".

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
          Only one player at the Canadian Open said on the feedback form that they wouldn't come back. 8 year old Jiaxin Dora Liu explained, politely and concisely, that it was a great tournament, but it had "funny pairings".
          I am not sure whether you are implying that Jiaxin Dora Liu was the person who said they wouldn't come back?

By the way, how many players filled out the feedback form?
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I didn't fill out a feedback form, but if the same people were running it/T.D., I would not play.

Comment

Kerry,

About 20 players gave their names and comments. Yes, Dora was the only one.

David

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                Kerry,

About 20 players gave their names and comments. Yes, Dora was the only one.

David
                Thanks. If only 20 of 260-odd participants gave feedback, I think your initial statement "Only one player at the Canadian Open said on the feedback form that they wouldn't come back." might be somewhat misleading... since I -and perhaps others- jumped to the conclusion that you were implying *most* participants would come back.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

This was indeed an excellent tournament!
                  Some things could have been better, including the blitz which was overloaded with 80 players. If we have another 80 player blitz in Toronto I will use computer pairings. As it was we had to cut down the number of rounds to five - this was after two rounds had already been played
                  But with so many positive aspects to this event it is churlish to dwell on the faults. The main plus must be the truly great performances displayed by our junior players! No grandmaster faced with one of our juniors could have felt comfortable after the first few rounds. The top boards in the final several rounds were populated about 50% by Canadian juniors!
                  For me the high point in the event was to share a table at the closing banquet with Zvonko Vranesic who I had not seen in 35 years! He only looks about ten years older than he did then!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Thanks. If only 20 of 260-odd participants gave feedback, I think your initial statement "Only one player at the Canadian Open said on the feedback form that they wouldn't come back." might be somewhat misleading... since I -and perhaps others- jumped to the conclusion that you were implying *most* participants would come back.
                    That's even ignoring the selection bias inherent in filling out those kinds of questionnaires, and the opportunity to do so. I can't recall being asked what I thought at any point, perhaps it was at the Banquet? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      This was indeed an excellent tournament!
                      Some things could have been better, including the blitz which was overloaded with 80 players. If we have another 80 player blitz in Toronto I will use computer pairings. As it was we had to cut down the number of rounds to five - this was after two rounds had already been played
                      But with so many positive aspects to this event it is churlish to dwell on the faults. The main plus must be the truly great performances displayed by our junior players! No grandmaster faced with one of our juniors could have felt comfortable after the first few rounds. The top boards in the final several rounds were populated about 50% by Canadian juniors!
                      For me the high point in the event was to share a table at the closing banquet with Zvonko Vranesic who I had not seen in 35 years! He only looks about ten years older than he did then!
                      Hi Vlad,

Yes the Zvonko portion of the Awards dinner was incredible. I was at the table where no one knew Zvonko except David Southam...the first thing we said to each other...Geee...this guy has not aged at all!

Zvonko gave an awesome speech...basically he came to a crossroads in his life...does he pursue chess...or does he pursue a classical career...he chose engineering...and teaching...and as he said...he does not regret his decision ...but what was awesome was how he admired those that chose the other route...and the praise he gave to both the players and organizers who have followed Caissa...totally inspirational!

We have to thank David Cohen for creating the "Canadian Chess Hall of Fame". It gives us a chance to say thank you.

For me the best award was to the "Volunteer of the Year" ...not sure if this was the actual title...the inner has been an incredible asset to Canadian chess for the last 22 years...a good man (we do not always agree :) but he does care.

Maurice Smith is a special person! He derserved the award.

What I loved was how he was totally moved by this presentation...he is a class act!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
                        That's even ignoring the selection bias inherent in filling out those kinds of questionnaires, and the opportunity to do so. I can't recall being asked what I thought at any point, perhaps it was at the Banquet? I don't know.
                        The filling paper was placed on the "cell" table.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Zvonko gave an awesome speech...basically he came to a crossroads in his life...does he pursue chess...or does he pursue a classical career...he chose engineering...and teaching...and as he said...he does not regret his decision ...but what was awesome was how he admired those that chose the other route...and the praise he gave to both the players and organizers who have followed Caissa...totally inspirational!
                          I remember in 1971, Vlad hosted an awards dinner at the Driftwood Restaurant and the guest of honour was also Zvonko. I thought at the time that what chess needed was a bit of personality, to actually make heroes out of people such as Zvonko. Roll the clock forward and you have fine young people such as Pascal and Mark. I don't mean that to be an exclusive list.

Later, Bobby brought in as many new players as all the hard-working organizers did. What's more important to the popularity of hockey, the cold wind in your hair, or Sidney?

In 1988, Larry and I ran the World Blitz qualifiers in Saint John. Each had about 100 players. Using the Montreal pairing boards, we were able to pair and run each double-round (of 5 0 Blitz) in 29 minutes. So 12 games (6 rounds) would take 2 hours and 54 minutes. I was doubtful (and still am) that a computer could speed the Swiss pairings or the times between round starts. If it's a single round Swiss, then colours have to be taken into consideration, pairings are slower, I lay down the hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                            In 1988, Larry and I ran the World Blitz qualifiers in Saint John. Each had about 100 players. Using the Montreal pairing boards, we were able to pair and run each double-round (of 5 0 Blitz) in 29 minutes. So 12 games (6 rounds) would take 2 hours and 54 minutes. I was doubtful (and still am) that a computer could speed the Swiss pairings or the times between round starts. If it's a single round Swiss, then colours have to be taken into consideration, pairings are slower, I lay down the hammer.
                            Hi Jonathan,

As you may know, during the Canadian Open, Stephen Boyd and Hal Bond gave a seminar for those interested in becoming International Arbiters. 14 people paid for this course. It was followed by a 4-hour exam. Passing grade was 80%. About 50% did not pass. I spoke with a number of the participants and they really were impressed with the seminar. (Stephen and Hal did a great job giving examples from personal experience)

I guess the last international event I did was Mazatlan in 1989 (thanks to you!). I spoke with Eric Malmsten (who was the one who put this together)and he mentioned that today what is most important in pairings is colour distribution. I must admit that I never subscribed to that way of doing things...for me...it was more important that the top ranked players play..regardless of colour...but Eric explained to me...that today top half versus bottom half no longer applies...

As a side note...I think with computer pairings...people tend to contest pairings less...afterall the neutral computer decided who one plays :)

I chuckle :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                              but Eric explained to me...that today top half versus bottom half no longer applies...
                              and the system is
                              04.4 The Burstein Swiss Pairing System (Based on Sonnenborn-Berger and Buchholz) (http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...6&view=article )
                              "In each SG priority shall be given to pair the highest player (i.e. the player with the highest SB) with the lowest player in that SG that he has not already played. The second highest player shall be paired with the second lowest player, etc."
                              (but this is for another thread :)

Comment

Working...
                              X