Canadian Open, a good start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open, a good start

This was the first major Canadian tournament I've played in in five years. I've seen very little in Canadian chess in the past decade that excites me so I largely play in European opens these days. But Brian Fielder and his team did a very credible job and that's why I decided to stay home this year. I would have played in his weekender last year but as I work weekends it's tough to get the time. I generally find it amusing to read the chesstalk posts, and a lot of the ones with regards to this year's open were very amusing so I thought I'd give a few thoughts on this tournament based on my experience in playing in various opens in seven or eight European countries over the past decade.
    I play in relatively few events and I choose them very carefully. Fielder's two efforts this year and last caught my attention because he got quality playing sites that are easily accessible (downtown and close to subway stops) and managed to get a number of sponsors. That suggested to me someone who wants to get it right. Note to organizers of future CO's. Not having to cart around chess sets and clocks to events is nice. In European tournaments the equipment is supplied, even in a rinky dink 15 minute tourney I played in Spain last year. The organizers this year got it right by doing so.
    A word about pairings since this seems to be a major bone of contention with some and an obession with others. In a one section open accelerated pairings just don't make that much of a difference -- you basically put off the masters pounding the B and C players for a couple rounds but sooner or later it happens.
    In my experience where that pairing model has worked alright was in 2000+ tournaments like Gibraltar and the Isle of Man. I laughed when I saw rhetoric on this forum about the tournament being wrecked because of third round pairings, etc, etc. That's silly. I've had few tournaments where I'm completely happy with the pairings I got. Last year in Dublin I had to play five juniors out of nine games. You just play and do your best and don't obsess about who the other guy is playing. In this event I played badly and had a poor result, but that's hardly the fault of the organizers or the TD.
    The key to making the Canadian open successful in the future is to focus on what kind of event you want and not try to be all things to all people.
    There seemed to be a bit of unrest about entry fees. Since the average European chess trip costs me about 3000 bucks I didn't find 195 dollars all that excessive. But perhaps in future try lowering the entry fee and cutting the class prizes down. Professionals play chess for money, but amateurs should play chess for chess. For those who want money, take up poker. I never even looked at the prize list for this year's open. European events have lower entry fees and I've rarely heard complaints about the prizes. Canada is unlikely to be able to outdo the World Open and having played there, why would you want to?
    One idea to attract players, although this wouldn't involve too many people I suspect. For Canadian Opens in central Canada at least why not work out a deal with the organizers of the Quebec Open or even the World Open for that matter for discounted entry fees for those who play in both touraments.
    On norms, the tournament seemed to get into hot water with pairings because it was concerned with providing this possibility for realistically maybe one or two players, but where did it get you? I see no evidence anyone picked up a norm. 2000+ events are the most common tourneys I've come across in Europe, with shorter events for class players. But one sectionals are held as well so you have to judge what is the right event for Canada and not worry about it being something for everyone. BTW, to solve the norm problem they tried an interesting idea in the Geneva International a few years ago. They put some of the invited grandmasters and some stronger local players into a small round robin. I think it was 10 players. The open was left with 3-4 GM's to give the amateurs that chance to play one. It seemed to work well and there were probably enough GM's in Toronto this year to make that approach feasible. It's something to be looked at. But if you stick with a one section open, then don't worry about stuff like norms.
    It was good to see some news releases popping up on marketwire and since I work in the mainstream media I'll make a couple of points. There was quite a good release that I saw a couple of weeks ago -- but it was issued too early. A couple weeks beforehand if I recall correctly. Overworked assignment editors are deluged with releases and ones that talk about events 2-3 weeks away get lost in the shuffle. That sort of thing should go out on the Thursday before the event when assignment editors are deciding on weekend coverage. Given the appetite on mainstream media websites for good weekend stories you might have attracted more coverage. It was a good idea to put out news releases during the event. One I saw sort of buried the lead at bit -- Hambleton's win over two GM's. Rather than a headline in the release like Canadian Open halfway through, how bout: "Canadian teen steamrolls over grandmasters in upset shocker." Building your news release around Hambleton gives a ready-made story for news outlets. Naturally you'd have to make sure he'd be prepared to do interviews.
    Looking at it objectively, the various: I don't like the pairings/a sandbagger got better pairings/a master threw the game/I didn't get my norm/ complainers are being far too harsh on the organizers. Nor am I overly impressed with rapturous praise for what was a solid, but not overly amazing event. Based on my experience this was about on par with a "second string" European open. It certainly doesn't compare with Biel, which is the gold standard for opens in my view, or Gibraltar, the Isle of Man or even Hastings. But it was no worse than some of the opens I've played in in Denmark, Holland or Prague. But I would agree with Gordon Ritchie, Brian I hope you keep organizing, Toronto chess badly needs you.

Re: Canadian Open, a good start

Originally posted by Steve Fairbairn View Post
    There was quite a good release that I saw a couple of weeks ago -- but it was issued too early.
    Two news articles during the tournament:
    http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/lo...way-in-toronto
    http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...gh-1291212.htm

and thnx for sharing your thoughts and comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Two news articles during the tournament:
      http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/lo...way-in-toronto
      http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...gh-1291212.htm

and thnx for sharing your thoughts and comparisons.
      the second one appears to be a press release service, not a news article

Comment

I would like to add my own 2c worth to this thread. The 2010 Canadian Open was very well run, pairings were on time and the venue was fantastic. Brian Fiedler, Brian Lamb and all the many other organizers and volunteers worked very hard and did a fantastic job.

But... (and there is always a but!) some things did go wrong. The round 3 pairing fiasco has already been amply documented. What perplexes me is why the bad pairings were not caught by a human TD. Do we all trust computers that much? Was there no time and opportunity for checking?

In my own case I bombed out because in a critical 7th round game I lost on time in a winning endgame because I did not understand how the Saitek clocks worked. Did other people have the same experience? Many of us like me have never used a mechanical time-incrementing clock and so at the moment I flagged, I thought that I had 30 minutes left! Perhaps some basic clock explaining by the TDs would be in order.

Another comment I have is about the lack of game bulletins. The World Open in Philadelphia has them, why not the Canadian Open? They are very handy and informative, even to us under-2000 players, and they were missed. We were all forced to go home and see the games on the MonRoi web site!

Finally a comment about the MonRoi spectator display system. The demonstration boards, projected on a wall, were almost impossible to make out. About half of the positions could be vaguely seen but much could not. I realize that the ambient lighting had to be high for the players, but this impacted the boards seen by the spectators! Old fashioned demo boards, attended by human workers, would seem to be more effective.

Other than this the tournament was great, and many individual results were excellent. Congratulations to the winner, GM Luke McShane, and also to the top Canadian, Nikolai Noritsyn, who finished in 2nd place!

Comment

"There seemed to be a bit of unrest about entry fees. Since the average European chess trip costs me about 3000 bucks I didn't find 195 dollars all that excessive.

Hi Steve,

I just played in the Hungarian Open in Zalakaros. The entry fee was $39 an I won $50. There were 2 sections Open and <2100. I played in the B section. $195 is highway robbery!!

But for real highway robbery I was paying $225 to play in RRs for players around FIDE 2000(9-11 rounds) in First Saturday in Budapest. Then I found a couple of RRs(9 rounds) for $23.50. Sadly these are only twice a year.

Michael Yip

Comment

Hi Michael, it's been a long time. Of course you're right that the European entry fees are lower than the CO. My point was that to get over there to take advantage of them I would have had to shell out thousands in travel and accommodation, which I do. From that point 195 was quite economical and the fact I was able to stay home and play was a big reason I played in Canada. That and the fact I was impressed by what I saw on Fielder's organization efforts of a weekender in Toronto. 200 bucks would barely cover a night out with my girlfriend so I suppose it all depends on how you look at things. But the entry fee issue comes back to the question of what kind of Canadian Open do players want. In the eight or so opens I've played in over the years it's generally been a fun event where you can see old friends, maybe play a grandmaster if you're lucky and enjoy a relaxing pace. For that the CO's I've played in have been successful. But it's essentially an amateur tournament. For things like class prizes and norms it's not the greatest vehicle. Perhaps the CFC should survey its members and see if there's anything resembling a concensus. As for some of the other issues perhaps my expectations were considerably lower. I didn't pay much attention to other people's pairings and I don't have any huge complaints about mine. I played more lower rated players than I would have liked, but when you in the top half of a draw in a one section tournament what can you expect? The reverse would be true for lower rated players who play a lot of higher rated players. One year in Geneva I played five I-M's in a nine round tournament, a fun but exhausting experience. I suppose other players of my strength may have had easier pairings. But If I didn't want to go through the water torture, I could have gone to a different tournament.

Comment

Hi Steve

I was remembering about the last CO I played in $75 or $85 I think. A really long time ago must have been. I played in the one at Scarborough City Hall but I forget how much it was.

But $200 for a night out??

Comment

Just a guess, but they'd tend to set the entry fee at a level that would put the available resources (e.g., playing hall) to good use. Entry fee too low: crowded conditions. Guessing again, the aimed-for figure would have been above 300 players. There are always unpredictables, including the most unpredicatable: chess players. This time there was the G8/20 scare, the worldwide rise of the bank-welfare state, global economic mire, and perhaps an overestimation of the lure of the national event, versus disinterest in playing a long tournament while not meeting opponents within 150 points of one's own strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Fairbairn View Post
                  It certainly doesn't compare with Biel, which is the gold standard for opens in my view
                  And which one started recently
                  http://www.bielchessfestival.ch
                  (the donors' list is impressive http://www.bielchessfestival.ch/en/partners )

Comment

Working...
                  X