Thanks to all who supported my blindfold simul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to all who supported my blindfold simul

A special thanks to all who supported my blindfold simul. I think it was the first time that I had no role in the organization of my blindfold simul and I was blown away by the support shown by several key individuals. Erik Malmsten who always does great work (behind the scenes so to speak), Ted Winick (who Im sure did much more than even I noticed) but who arranged my excellent move messenger FM Brett Campbell, brought his kids from the chess camp to see me in action, and then was one of the players, Brett Campbell who was so clear and accurate and focused (even tho thoroughly enjoying the games), David Cohen for his accuracy to detail and for taking over as move messenger when Brett took a break, and last but not least a very impressive performance by Zeljka Malobabic of www.monroi.com who not only broadcast the games live but also has the games on her excellent site and took many excellent pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed the games and my opponents reactions and analysis as well as the spectators. A special thanks to Mike Sutton who presented to me with a pair of 960 Fischer Random dice. While I was in the flow of thinking about all the games it seemed timeless and that no time was passing but my thinking time was actually quite slow. I averaged about a minute and a half per move and obviously I should have practiced somewhere in the couple of days before the event as I missed an important pawn move on board 4 (d3 and I got punished by d3) and I lost track of my position on board 5. For the first time in my life I had four offers to buy me lunch, a special thanks to Ken MacDonald for an entertaining and very social gettogether for lunch.

Re: Thanks to all who supported my blindfold simul

Hi Hans, I was there helping Ted with the kids camp, and it was my first time watching a simul. I especially appreciated your quick explanation on how to develop blindfold skills, and I will give that a try. Being honest with what the leaks are in my game, I believe that blindfolding during my OTB games might help me. Let's see what happens now! ;)

By the way, did those sandwiches make it to you, or did someone sneak them away?! :)

Comment

Wow 4 lunch offers.

Sounds delicious.:)

Hmm, coffee at Mcdonald`s maybe then lunch at the plaza, then hmm where for dessert?

Comment

Hi Aris it was a pleasure meeting you. During the simul I didnt feel like eating anything but when I realized the simul was going to end I started to wolf down one of the sandwiches. Before I could finish I was interrrupted - then the simul ended and I immediately got all those lunch offers so the rest of the sandwiches might still be there. As far as lunch goes all that offered went together and they all had a chance (at lunch) to pick away at what was left of my brain.:)

Comment

LOL, I was so hungry that I would have wolfed down the remaining sandwiches pronto!

It was also a great pleasure to meet you. Maybe I'll see you again at Patrick's festival.

Comment

Hans Jung,

congratulations! Kevin S. included today a youtube video on a 5-player blinfold simul. Please forgive my bluntness but she way better than you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTu30...layer_embedded

Comment

Kevin said it best: promoting chess. She can act for me anytime but there is more to blindfold chess than wearing a blindfold and punching a chess clock.
              I wish there was a video of Reuben Fine playing 4 speed games blindfold simultaneously - now that would be something to see.

Comment

Hi Hans. I wonder if I might have been in one of your first blindfold simuls (maybe the first!!) some 32 or 33 years ago at the old London Y. It was Steve B. and me and one other....can't remember who: Richard May? Mike Maruk? Jim Kearly? Do you recall? :)
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                  Hi Hans. I wonder if I might have been in one of your first blindfold simuls (maybe the first!!) some 32 or 33 years ago at the old London Y. It was Steve B. and me and one other....can't remember who: Richard May? Mike Maruk? Jim Kearly? Do you recall? :)
                  The one burnt down by a chessplayer? :D Before my time, but the third, w/ Bartlett and McKillop was Hyssam Elsakka?

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
                    The one burnt down by a chessplayer? :D Before my time, ...
                    And after my time. :D

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
                    ... but the third, w/ Bartlett and McKillop was Hyssam Elsakka?
                    Could have been, but I don't think it was Hyssam. Hyssam had a way of making normally mundane situations memorable. If the third had been him, I can't imagine that I would have forgotten (but, the memory's not what it used to be).
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

A trip down memory lane. It wasnt my first but maybe it was my strongest opposition at the time:) - what comes to mind was Jim K. My first was against Ed Wright (same high school - in the cafeteria - 3 - 15 minute games he was sighted I was blindfolded - 1975) remember him? I remember I never played more than 5 boards until 1979 - I had a roommate Andrew Perras - we played multiple sessions - him sighted me blindfolded - boards spread around the living room - often almost all thru the night - he encouraged me to do up to 10. whatever happened to him? Hey Dave, Correct me if Im wrong - I thought we first met at the old YMCA (thru your dad) early 1979? No?
                      I wish I had the energy and vision I had back then.

Comment

Working...
                      X