Canadian Open memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open memories

I’m back home again and looking forward to a full night’s sleep.
    How about that story book finish? Six Canadians were playing on the top six boards and we managed to score 50%, including 2 victories over the top 2 GMs. Yoos won an exciting game over top seeded Pentala, who now joins countrymen Anand, and Kunte Ganguly on the list of GM scalps at the hands of much lower rated Canadians. My favourite result of the round was Nikolay’s win over the second seed Eduardis Rozentalis, thereby winning clear second! Nikolay earned 4 IM norms at my tournaments before winning the IM title outright at the 2007 Closed in Kitchener. His climb stalled for a while due to outside commitments but he told me he is now free and able to focus on his game again. Great news for our Olympic team!
    Stephen and Jonathan have said it all regarding Aman Hambleton’s fantastic performance. FIDE’s new rules about a second unrated player being deemed a 1200 opponent is ridiculous. He still came within 2 rating points of an IM norm. I will plead his case nonetheless but no promises!
    I was quite proud of our Arbiter team. We had no appeals. Each of them was on double duty throughout the event. Aris Marghetis was a rock – helping with the pairings until 2am each round and getting up at 7:30 to work with Ted Winnick’s day camp. Aris is an excellent “people person” and he kept me sane during the rough spots. Brian Lamb was also an asset to the squad - enduring the double shift as a student in the Arbiter seminar from 9 till 5 and then hitting the floor from 6pm until midnight. Newly elected OCA President Michael von Keitz also performed admirably in his first arbiting assignment of the scale. Like Brian, Michael took the FIDE Arbiter seminar and wrote the gruelling 4 hour exam. He and his 13 classmates will have their results in about 2 weeks. The FIDE lecturer Stephen Boyd also pinch hit as an arbiter in the tournament during the first round and when he was introduced he was amply lauded. Many players remember his work in Toronto back in the day. I really enjoyed working with him.
    By the way, regarding the Bharat - MacKinnon game in rd 9, I misunderstood Mr. Zator's initial question. He was one of scores of people who asked me if I had seen this game or that one becasue the games were interesting. Generally I don't follow the games at all, so I may have appeared dismissive. When he implied an irregularity I checked the pairing and dismissed any wrong doing based on my knowledge of the players. Unfortunately, before I could report back to Mr. Zator I was deflected by another issue.
    I haven't looked too much at all the threads. Although I may be biased I think the negative posters really need to remember that unconstructive criticism is self defeating - it kills sponsorship and drives away the people who move heaven and earth to make these events possible. Zvonko Vranesic's first remarks in his wonderful address at the closing banquet were directed at organizers large and small because without them we have no tournaments.
    I did read Mr. Fairbairn's comments with interest. Very good. I have never played in the high end European events but I would love to get more feedback on what it would take to create a "first string" calibre tournament in Canada.
    Next up - the Kitchener Chess Festival July 30 - August 2! This year we are staging the Canadian Senior (60+), seeding a player to the World Championships in Italy, the Ontario Closed for players above 2100, and the 4th Annual Canadian Amateur. All 3 events are 7 rounds and FIDE rated. More details at www.chessfest.ca

Re: Canadian Open memories

Hey Hal, thanks for jotting these points down. I was also very proud of the Canadian results! It was an incredibly busy fun week, and I am so looking forward to more than 6 hours sleep, and having eaten something other than street meat and/or greek fries, lol!

It was also an absolute riot sharing a hotel room between you, me, and Michael! There were so many funny moments, and we somehow never really got in each others way.

Go on ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      I checked the pairing and dismissed any wrong doing based on my knowledge of the players.
      You simply ignored a possible complaint because you knew the players involved? I'd like to see where that was covered in the Arbiter's class!

Of course, it turns out the complaint was unfounded, but nonetheless this does not seem like good grounds to dismiss it.

I do, however, appreciate anyone who takes on the insane job of TD'ing the Canadian open and thank you for doing so. Please don't let minor criticisms detract from the fact that I'm sure everyone there benefited from and appreciated your work.

Comment

I’m back home again and looking forward to a full night’s sleep.

...snip

I haven't looked too much at all the threads. Although I may be biased I think the negative posters really need to remember that unconstructive criticism is self defeating - it kills sponsorship and drives away the people who move heaven and earth to make these events possible.

...snip
        I would respectfully suggest you consider addressing the issues raised about some of the Round 3 pairings. I think it would be very interesting to understand your take on the allegations that the pairings were incorrect.

There is a rather glaring absence of facts around that issue (at least there are some unknowns):

- were the pairings done by hand or by SwissSys or some other computer program?
        - were the pairings (for Round 3 in particular) correct in your opinion?
        - if they were not, was there any consideration given to changing them, and what reasons were behind the decision not to do so?

I realize much of the controversy could be construed as a direct attack on your actions and judgement [I don't think that is justified by the way], but if there were irregularities in the pairings it would be very instructive to find out the reason why they happened and why they stood - for no other reason than a free lesson in tournament directing.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

As I explained at the start of the 3rd round, a software (Swissys) glitch was discovered after the pairings were posted. The pairings within the 2 point group were incorrect. I discussed this issue at some length with the organizing committee. Ultimately the decision was taken to respect the FIDE rule which states that pairings shall not be changed after they are posted unless they are illegal (which they were not).

The same problem occurred when we tried to pair the 4th round. The first 40 or 50 boards were ok and posted, and the remainder was paired by hand the following day. From the 5th round onward the pairings were regular swiss pairings and Swissys handled them ok.

Comment

Thanks David - Perhaps I was too brief. I knew that Arjun Bharat was playing at a master level throughout the tournament. I knew Keith MacKinnon's reputation is rock solid and had every interest in winning the game. I saw Tom O'Donnell save an adjourned R+P vs Q ending at the 1988 Olympiad, and there are many such drawn endings. These factors were all considered when I reached my decision. Arbiter discretion is a common theme throughout FIDE rules and the Arbiter seminar.

Comment

As I explained at the start of the 3rd round, a software (Swissys) glitch was discovered after the pairings were posted. The pairings within the 2 point group were incorrect. I discussed this issue at some length with the organizing committee. Ultimately the decision was taken to respect the FIDE rule which states that pairings shall not be changed after they are posted unless they are illegal (which they were not).

The same problem occurred when we tried to pair the 4th round. The first 40 or 50 boards were ok and posted, and the remainder was paired by hand the following day. From the 5th round onward the pairings were regular swiss pairings and Swissys handled them ok.
              Hi Hal:

Not to belabour a point (not that I've ever done that before ) but for the third round the 3-point group was also wrong. Players who had not been in the top quartile were now considered to be.

That aside, I'm glad it was just round 3, and hey, it happens. I know one person ain't happy about it but he should probably look at playing in section events in the future.

I hear there's one just around the corner!

Steve

Comment

Thank you for the clarification. Nobody else (that posted here) seemed to know much or any of that; at least, I don't think that info was here. I think at least explaining what actually happened is a good thing.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Open memories

First answer: too busy, don't follow the games, so I checked the pairings and dismissed the claim based on knowing the players were good guys.

I misunderstood Mr. Zator's initial question. He was one of scores of people who asked me if I had seen this game or that one becasue the games were interesting. Generally I don't follow the games at all, so I may have appeared dismissive. When he implied an irregularity I checked the pairing and dismissed any wrong doing based on my knowledge of the players.
                  Second, revised answer: I carefully reached a decision after considering all possible factors.
                  Major improvement! That coming after Mr Ottosen pointing out: "You simply ignored a possible complaint because you knew the players involved? I'd like to see where that was covered in the Arbiter's class!")

Perhaps I was too brief. I knew that Arjun Bharat was playing at a master level throughout the tournament. I knew Keith MacKinnon's reputation is rock solid and had every interest in winning the game. I saw Tom O'Donnell save an adjourned R+P vs Q ending at the 1988 Olympiad, and there are many such drawn endings. These factors were all considered when I reached my decision. Arbiter discretion is a common theme throughout FIDE rules and the Arbiter seminar.
                  Thank God, the claim turned out to be unfounded.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open memories

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    First answer: too busy, don't follow the games, so I checked the pairings and dismissed the claim based on knowing the players were good guys.

Second, revised answer: I carefully reached a decision after considering all possible factors.
                    Major improvement! That coming after Mr Ottosen pointing out: "You simply ignored a possible complaint because you knew the players involved? I'd like to see where that was covered in the Arbiter's class!")

Thank God, the claim turned out to be unfounded.
                    I think the rules of English require you to indicate emphasis added when you quote someone but randomly bold parts.

Comment

Hi Hal,

Thanks for organizing the wonderful chess festival in Toronto. I have one question about the FIDE rating. For FIDE unrated player, will you report to FIDE the games only if the opponents are FIDE rated? How about even if I haven't got FIDE ID yet?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
                        How about even if I haven't got FIDE ID yet?
                        As I know everybody who played will receive a FIDE ID (but not everybody an established or initial rating)

FIDE has received the crosstable of the tournament (soon it will be processed)
                        http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_d...ml?event=49379
                        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 21st July, 2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

CFC rated the tournament http://www.chess.ca/xtable.asp?TNum=201007030

Comment

Being unfamiliar with your arbitration style, I just assumed you hadn't done anything.

Years ago, when a similar complaint came up at a Canadian Open after the last round, the arbitrator acknowledged the complaint would be looked at, then called upon the appeals committee - a panel of masters - to decide its merits.

Sort of what I was expecting this time, though perhaps, only by the chief arbiter alone.

But even if I knew you were considering my complaint - and I'm not sure that's what it was, considering I was not making any accusation - I would still like to have seen the records of all pivitol last round games posted.

I think with the internet that should be possible. Conversely, I don't think
                            limiting last round games to players in the same section is either consistent or in the spirit of the event.

I still found the event overall, a magnificently-conceived and well run affair, and I again thank you for the wonderful time had by all.

Comment

Hi Egidijus,

Thank you so much for the reply and the link. It helps so much.

By the way, could you please let me know or give me the source about how the first FIDE rating can be got, or what is the condition of that? I heard of you have to play at least 3 tournaments and each of them faced at least 3 FIDE rated players, and got at least 0.5 points in any of these tournaments. Is it the case?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X