Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saturday Blitz @CO results

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post

I guess if you don't want to get cheapoed in a game, play correspondence, you'll never lose on time.

clock's part of the game. a hot shot junior flagging a potential CEO at the club is one thing...two masters with 2400+ CFC rating where one has less than 5 seconds on his clock and the other has 30 in a championship is a completely different thing. i agree with what some other people said...declare RvR as draw beforehand then there will be no disagreements :)

Comment

hi vlad!

I want to thank you for your job in canadian open and I do not know if its ok to guess the players number in mom,s cafe but I guess 14

Comment

Hi Vlad,

I guess 13 players for this Saturday's Blitz tournament.

Thanks
        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
          Hi Vlad,

I guess 13 players for this Saturday's Blitz tournament.

Thanks
          Robert
          Dave Southam has taken the number 13 a few days ago. Please choose another number.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Dave Southam has taken the number 13 a few days ago. Please choose another number.
            Hi Vlad,

Is anywhere I can see all the guessed number already? I would like to choose 15 then.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
              Hi Vlad,

Is anywhere I can see all the guessed number already? I would like to choose 15 then.

Robert
              Hi,
              The thread where predictions should have been posted, is Saturday Blitz at Mom's Cafe. I will revive it now.

Comment

At least Vlad rated this blitz tournament, although no rating fees were required.

It seems Vlad has gotten into the bad habit of NOT submitting many of his longer time control events to the CFC for rating, after having advertised that they would be rated. This has apparently been going on for a period of several years. Many people I have talked to have confirmed this, yet nothing seems to have been done about it, and the problem may be ongoing. Perhaps the new CFC Executive can take some concrete steps in this matter, after an appropriate investigation to determine the extent of the problem.

Care to comment, Vlad!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                  wow, that was kinda harsh Bindi :(

Being a tournament organizer is a thankless job and this sentiment has been reinforced over the past few weeks.

It's a shame you 'blundered' into a KR vs KR endgame but from what has been presented to me here on chesstalk I think a draw was the fair result. I mean let's say you were losing before the KR vs KR endgame, would you still try to win on time by moving your rook one square at a time on the side closest to the clock (if that's what you were doing, that IS the best strategy :D)? OK he had 5 seconds left when he appealed but how long were you guys banging on the clock for? Definitely heat of the moment stuff and that's understandable.

I guess that's why in blitz playoff nowadays they play 3 2 or something to prevent this kind of stuff from happening, an unfortunate situation. So do you agree you were trying to 'cheapo' him by making him lose on time? I have to admit that does seem a little unsporting... and apparently you did have more time on the clock than him so maybe you could have used those valuable seconds to transpose into the Lucena position, you've only got yourself to blame I'm afraid.

I know it's frustrating going from winning to drawing (or my specialty, going from winning to drawing to losing ) and I can't help but think this is why you were still trying to win despite the theoretically drawn position. Anyway congrats on coming tied for 1st!
                  Well Hugh, The sad part is as soon as I blundered my pawn he called the arbiter. There was no banging clocks, he just said it`s a draw as if flagging isnt part of 5 minute chess. What I`m more concerned with isn`t winning games like these but that Vlad obviously doesn`t think my accusations are serious enough to address and that he`ll continue running blitz tournaments in the future when obviously he doesn`t know what`s going on in that part of chess. I mean, adjudicating results like these when one 2400 is part of his precious toronto club and the other is from somewhere else... There might even be a hint of favoritism along those lines. I don`t make comments like these unless it`s rightfully deserved and as soon as he adjudicated the result, it felt incredibly wrong. I mean I even said goodbye to the guy and he won`t even have the decency to say crap about me back like Ed and Jean. Atleast those guys have the guts to say stuff back to me in my face. Can`t say the same for Vlad.
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                    At least Vlad rated this blitz tournament, although no rating fees were required.

It seems Vlad has gotten into the bad habit of NOT submitting many of his longer time control events to the CFC for rating, after having advertised that they would be rated. This has apparently been going on for a period of several years. Many people I have talked to have confirmed this, yet nothing seems to have been done about it, and the problem may be ongoing. Perhaps the new CFC Executive can take some concrete steps in this matter, after an appropriate investigation to determine the extent of the problem.

Care to comment, Vlad!?
                    Your sanctimonious twaddle is ill founded. The last swiss tournament I ran was the Hollidays Open 2007. It was promptly rated as were all BGC 8 and 6 man round robins. What were not CFC-rated, were the active time control (15 minute/player) as I saw no advantage in charging the players $3 each to include them in a pool of players with grossly wrong ratings.
                    Your quoting 'many people' amounts to slanderous innuendo and since you have no direct knowledge of my club activities, you would be well advised to restrict your rumor-mongering to your own sphere of activity. I feel little need to explain myself to the likes of you!

Comment

Re: Bindi Cheng rant:

I am reluctent to reply to your name-calling rants. If it were up to me you would be barred from ChessTalk. As it is we'll just have to be content to see fewer appearences of your face at invitational tournaments (you're soiling your own bed. People notice.)
                      At the blitz event, I was asked to rule on a draw claim which I allowed as there was a K&R vs K&R on the board. You now claim I should have taken account that you had been winning but then blundered a pawn! Since when did previous blunders become part of an adjuducation?
                      You go on to display disgraceful lack of sportsmanship in continuing your rants. What will you be when you grow up?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post

Care to comment, Vlad!?
                        I played regularly at the Bayview Games Club for about 2 years until the drive in from Hamilton to Toronto became a bit too much for one game a week & parking an issue for me on Bayview. I never had problems with my events being rated nor have I ever heard of anyone who ever did and that includes Holiday Opens and Toronto Closed championships & the reserve section I was in. If you check the ratings for anyone who has played there such as myself you will see all sorts of rated events from there. I'll give you a clue Frank, they often read BGC and then a number. I can't remember playing any 15 minute events but if I did I didn't expect them to be rated, so we must have been informed of this or I simply didn't play any 15 minute games.

Vlad did design a beginners ladder which were unrated games, it encouraged new players & unrated players to try out tournament chess at time controls suitable for their enjoyment before moving on to rated events & time controls if they wanted. If I remember right they received an informal club rating so they could gague how they were doing. Nothing new about informal ratings, the Mississauga chess club runs an informal rating system too. That's one of the more innovative things I've seen done at the club level to encourage new players.
                        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Sunday, 25th July, 2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Ive never had a problem having a long time control tournament rated at BGC... I did have one that took a few weeks to be rated, but AFAIK you have a month to submit a tournament anyways so thats fine.

Comment

Vlad Dobrich, I believe the true reason Bindi Cheng is so angry is that he wanted to humiliate Samsonkin by beating him 2-0 in the blitz tournament since he was humiliated by losing in 18 moves against him in the Canadian Open main event. As well as the reduction of the tournament from 7 to 5 rounds, which I wasn't happy with either.

Bindi Cheng, a reason that he wouldn't want to talk to you is that you made a scene after the game was declared a draw. The 'Official' rules have shown that Dobrich made the correct decision in declaring the game a draw, no favouritism whatsoever.
                            Last edited by Adam Cormier; Monday, 26th July, 2010, 03:14 PM.
                            University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Re : Re: Saturday Blitz @CO results

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              I feel little need to explain myself to the likes of you!
                              And to whom do you feel like explaining yourself ? I would like to know this exceptional person's identity. To me making people pay for a 7 rounder and then reducing it to 5 during the event is unheard of, to put it mildly.

Comment

LOL, of course I made a scene, how would you feel if you were winning the whole time and with 5 seconds left in a Blitz - key word blitz game, the other guy gets someone to rule a draw when you`re up 30 seconds on the other guy. Also, Vlad basicallly handed Samsonkin his money because without the draw he had with me, he woulda been out of the bigger money. And Vlad, I didn`t know who you were before this but I definitely don`t want to know who you are now. You basically ruined your chances of being invited to host any big blitz tournament due to the fiasco this time. And Vlad, please don`t tell another adult to grow up, it`s shameful to listen to someone this involved in chess to give life lessons.
                                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                                X