My return from Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My return from Mars

No I haven't been on a trip with our FIDE president, but I have been away from organized chess for about 35 years. Thought I might make some comments about how chess and life have changed in the meantime.

WOW so much has changed! I missed Kasparov's playing career. Seems to be chess' Mr FIGJAM (F* I Am Good, Just Ask Me). One hellova chess player though. Lawrence Day has managed to not only keep all his hair, but seems to have added to it (I am envious).

Largely limited to playing chess over the internet or vs. the computer for a couple of years made me realize how much of an impact computers and the 'net have had on chess. There are more resources and learning opportunities than ever before. Listening to Peter Svidler comment on a live super GM game made me realize that they play a different game than most of us.

I got to visit the latest Canadian Open for a few rounds. Great tournament.

The change in ethnic diversity in the real world is nicely mirrored in the participants (used to be pretty much all white guys). Nice to see so many juniors and women. As a teenager with raging hormones it would be tough to focus on your game with so many attractive female chess players. Not so bad for the old farts.

Watching a young lady play with keeping one finger on the piece she is moving for an extra 10 seconds or so for a last blunder check gave me quite a chuckle. I love the enthusiasm that all the juniors brought to the tournament.

I am really impressed by the young guys who finished near the top. They punched about their weight class and really worked some of the GM's over. I am happy at having the opportunity to support our Olympiad team this year.

There should be more players at tournaments like this. I have no idea what the answer is, but with lots more people and lots of immigrants from chess playing countries there should be more chess players.

In a small way I may be able to help. I hope to get a chess club started this year in Port Hope. If you are interested please message me.

Cheers

Dave Broughton

Re: My return from Mars

Welcome back from Mars. Too bad about the runaway greenhouse effect that destroyed your planet. Hopefully we do not do the same thing with Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Broughton View Post

There should be more players at tournaments like this. I have no idea what the answer is, but with lots more people and lots of immigrants from chess playing countries there should be more chess players.

In a small way I may be able to help. I hope to get a chess club started this year in Port Hope. If you are interested please message me.
      There are lots of chess players around. They just don't play CFC tournament chess. There really isn't a lot in it for players over 20 unless they are top players.

Also, you need location for tournaments and clubs. Something easy to get to by car with easy parking.

I went to Scarborough Clubs 50th anniversary. Nicely located and it's a large playing hall. Great free parking. For those who have problems getting around and have a handicapped permit, there is lots of parking close to the door.

They have the right idea.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hey Gary, since Dave was on Mars, shouldn't he be a member of your Inter-galactic Chess Federation?

Steve

Comment

Yes - there are LOTS of players around - non-tournament players who wouldn't be seen near a club.

Two outdoor attractions in Montreal have been drawing a lot of the above:

1) Five giant chess sets in a park - many people walk past or through there every day. There is always a lineup for games (someone takes names and schedules games), and lots of spectators. Almost all of them are unfamiliar faces to me - but there are some decent games played.

2) The "Just for Laughs" festival has a section devoted to games: seven chess sets (and one giant one) are occupied (with people waiting) all day long. A nightly simul draws lots of kibitzers (one kid playing claimed he had never lost a game - I had to leave before his game was over, but the opening moves were something like 1. d4 h6 2. e4 Nf6 3. e5 Nd5 4. c4 Nb6.)

Comment

Gary, Kirsan and me!

Gary can be the diplomat!!!

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              Yes - there are LOTS of players around - non-tournament players who wouldn't be seen near a club.

Seven chess sets (and one giant one) are occupied (with people waiting) all day long.
              Hugh, how much is the entry fee?
              A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                Hey Gary, since Dave was on Mars, shouldn't he be a member of your Inter-galactic Chess Federation?

Steve
                It's Inner Galactic. I suppose Kirsan has the lemonade stand for the whole kit and kaboodle.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Broughton View Post
                  Gary, Kirsan and me!

Gary can be the diplomat!!!

LOL
                  Kirsan can be in charge of transportation.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ernest wrote:

Hugh, how much is the entry fee?
                    No entry fee - everything is free!

Comment

It might be a paradox, but why people wait in line to play chess in the park when they can play online instantaneously. Maybe the can't afford internet?

Comment

Paradox?! Do you really feel like pounding a clock and clicking a mouse it is the same experience, or talking (screaming) to your friend and chatting in online "chat"?

Comment

These are "casual" players - they have probably never played on the Internet. Also - who wants to stay inside on a nice day?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                            It might be a paradox, but why people wait in line to play chess in the park when they can play online instantaneously. Maybe the can't afford internet?
                            They play chess in the park beside St. Michael's hospital on Queen St. E in Toronto. It's close to Yonge St.

Great rating system. Whoever wins the most money has the highest rating.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                              These are "casual" players - they have probably never played on the Internet. Also - who wants to stay inside on a nice day?
                              That's the point, give them a board and the pieces and they will line up to play. Just imagine if me blindfold Hans Jung in Montreal park what size of a crowd we will get.

Comment

Working...
                              X