Asia's chess Factory: Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asia's chess Factory: Vietnam

Here's a link to an article I found interesting from the Christian Science Monitor

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...-class-players

These bits caught my eye:

"The coach of Vietnam's national chess team, Mikhail Vasyliev, is originally from Odessa, Ukraine, which he describes as the "world capital of chess." The elderly Ukrainian, who does not speak Vietnamese, explained that the Vietnamese government's approach to chess works because efforts are directed at the most promising players from a young age, rather than at those children whose parents have the most money to pay for classes."

"In Vietnam, children as young as 4 who do well in tournaments receive monthly salaries, free chess instruction, and monetary prizes for winning competitions. The Vietnamese government spends $3 million a year to promote the game, which includes covering players' travel expenses to domestic and international chess events."

"Between 500 and 700 young players study chess around the country. The 10 to 12 players on the national team study the game for the whole year with only a two-week break. They live in the sports center and receive salaries and incentives of $11 per day for pocket money when they travel."

Re: Asia's chess Factory: Vietnam

Hi Neil

The also send players to live in Budpapest to play in First Saturday RRs to get experience. I lost to to Vietnamese juniors who were their respective Asian Youth group age champions.

The Hungarian government also sponsors the Maroczy chess school for juniors and they have regular traing camps and longer sessions led by GM Jospeh Horvath to teaches the Budapest A group and another IM who leads another group.

Every swiss has tons of juniors(with coaches). Its normal to see little groups of juniors huddled around their coach(and laptop) going through last minute preparation of the upcoming games.

Michael Yip

Comment

Working...
    X