Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Wang

Hello,

I know that Richard is not going to play this year at WYCC, even if last year he finished tied for 2nd, so he can participate as an invited player. I was wondering if the Canadian chess community will like to help Richard and sponsor him with the plane ticket for Greece?

I am doing this because I believe that this year he has a big chance to do better then last year, nobody asked me to do this so even if you disagree please made it in a polite way.

Thank you
    Andrei Botez
    ________
    Body science
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:20 AM.

Re: Richard Wang

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    I know that Richard is not going to play this year at WYCC, even if last year he finished tied for 2nd, so he can participate as an invited player. I was wondering if the Canadian chess community will like to help Richard and sponsor him with the plane ticket for Greece?

I am doing this because I believe that this year he has a big chance to do better then last year, nobody asked me to do this so even if you disagree please made it in a polite way.
    I think it's inappropriate to make this offer unless he's asked you to do so. At the very minimum, you are indicating that the main reason he's not playing is financial, which may not be something his family would like to be made public (if true - for all I know, he is skipping the event to focus on school or go to Disneyland or something).

In any event, it's not really your place to involve yourself in it.

Comment

One of the most interesting things about reading Chesstalk comments is to see how people can interpret a different intent from the same message.

When I read Andrei's comment, I believed that he was speaking from his heart and wanted to do a good thing for an exceptional player (Richard). I don't think the family's financial situation is at all being called into question. Richard tied for 1st place in the CYCC. He won the first round of playoffs, then drew once or twice on lower time control playoffs and then the "official" U12 Boys Champion title was determined in a blitz playoff (!). In my mind Richard Wang, the highest rated U12 Boy, had a very tough CYCC simply due to the fact that everyone "guns for" and prepares for the #1 rated guy. Richard is a true Canadian champion.

Richard has shown his excellent play time in and time out. I think that all Andrei is asking is that the Canadian chess community show their support, whether it is financial, verbal, or whatever, in hopes (for the sake of Canada) that Richard and his family change their minds for Richard to play at the WYCC.

It is always easier to call down someone who is trying to do something good rather than actually do good. Andrei is a good man with a good heart. He is wanting to do something good for someone else who deserves it.

Comment

Not to mention, even a fairly well-off family can still have trouble affording overseas airfare!
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

http://www.lohud.com/article/2010071...digy-to-Greece

Comment

I strongly support victoria's opinion. Although I believe that the finance is not the main reason that Richard won't go to this year's WYCC(His daddy told me), If our chess community in Canada or the CFC can do more to support the gold medal hope the trip, either on spirit or little finance to let the family feel it is a glory to fight for Canadians chess in the world stage, it will be great.

My Son Michael Song is one of four CYCC U12 boys of the tied break list. We all admire Richard's chess talent, even if Michael won against Richard. Richard played a horrible tournament which I believed he had too much pressure(His rating is three hundreds higher than second highest player in his group). When finishing the last round with 4-players tied, I was kind of be happy for Richard since I though finally he would win although I did hope Michael could win last round to get clear first. The result was Terry Song won the tied break which I thought he deserved for that as well.

All in one word, I hope the medal hope can go to CYCC to fight for Canada's chess reputation in the world.

Comment

I do think Richard Wang would be a great Canadian representative for the World U12 Event. I also feel Joey Qin will be a remarkable addition to the Canadian U14 Team (I am not sure if he is going or not).
              If funding is the reason for them not going, please count me in for contributing $s for them.

Comment

Richard Wang WYCC fund

Hello,

First of all, I would like to present my apology to Wang family if I offended them in any way. I can assure them that I did not intend to do any inappropriate remark regarding their financial situation about I have no idea.
                All I want is to try to show him and his family that Canadian chess community is greatly appreciating his efforts, talent and hard work for representing Canadian chess at such high standards.

I will also like to share a little story from the last WYCC, where I had the pleasure to be team captain.

During all the rounds, the presence of the national team coaches, journalists, and team captains were permitted for the entire period. The situation change for the last round, when many decisive games for the medals were taking place. This being the case, I was the only member non-player of the Canadian delegation allowed inside. Everyone knew that Richard has great chances to win the gold medal with a win on his game combined with a draw on the first board. After a rapid draw on 1st board his chances were real. His opponent was from Poland, and I notice there were two adults standing behind Richard opponent. I inquire about them and find out that one had a VIP status (they were allowed anytime), and one of them was the president of the federation, and that he flew to Turkey special to support Richard opponent. For the entire game duration, I stand behind Richard, to show him our support. In the end, the game was a draw and Richard tie for 2nd (3rd after tiebreaker) and his smile and Canadian flag fill us with pride during final ceremony.

Also I would like to announce that some of us are already offering to donate towards, Richard plane ticket (I guess is around $1200-1500$). I am sure that those donations can be made directly to CFC mentioning Richard.
                The first donation is in amount of $200.

Andrei
                ________
                BMW R75
                Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Andrei,

Really admire your intend and effort.

It would be nice to clarify the donation process so people can start donating. May be Christopher Mallon or other CFC officials could help setup the procedure?

Wishing your girls and other juniors representing Canada all the best in WYCC.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
                    When I read Andrei's comment, I believed that he was speaking from his heart and wanted to do a good thing .
                    I don't doubt that, but I still think it's inappropriate to ask for people to make donations to someone who hasn't asked for it and may not want it. I'm not trying to "call him down".

Comment

Are there any difficulties re. donating money to CFC to be used for a specific player in relation to the federation's charitable status?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                        Are there any difficulties re. donating money to CFC to be used for a specific player in relation to the federation's charitable status?
                        This question comes up on a regular basis. It is wonderful to see people willing to donate money to our young talent. I encourage it. Trips abroad can be very expensive. Nothing wrong with family members, friends, clubs, corporate sponsors, or complete strangers wanting to help. If you want to send the money to the CFC, we can forward it to whoever you want. But, what we can't do is issue a tax receipt for donations directed towards a specific player. :(

The Canadian Revenue Agency has many rules regarding the issuing of tax receipts. The rules are all spelled out on the CRA website. The CFC was audited a few years ago and found to be in some cases in violation of these rules. We got our wrists slapped. Now we must be very careful to follow the rules, else we risk losing our charitable tax status.

It pains us greatly when we have to say "No, I'm sorry we cannot issue a tax receipt for your generous donation in support of player X". And it is painful to us when a generous donor thinks we are being petty or somehow not wanting to support chess. Please understand, there are rules to follow.

Nothing is stopping anyone from supporting a specific player. Go ahead, be generous. You don't need the CFC for that, go ahead and donate the money directly to them. Take up a collection. Or send the money to the CFC and we will forward it to them. But if we say, "sorry, we are unable to issue a tax receipt for this generous donation", please understand. :)

We are working on a policy statement for issuing tax receipts. We will post on the website when it is ready. We still have some research to do.
                        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 28th July, 2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I got an email from Richard's mom, he will not go to WYCC. I am sorry to hear that, but I am sure he will improve even with out going there this year.
                          Andrei
                          ________
                          Simmering food
                          Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                            Hi Ken:

Bob G. has already spelled it out in more lengthy fashion, but the short answer is that there are great difficulties in targetting donated money to specific individuals. Essentially, you can do it, but no tax receipt, because at some point it stops being a "charitable" donation.

Here's an example of how CCRA would interpret a donation of $1,000 to the Canadian Olympiad team prior to the most recent Winter Olympics under 3 different scenarios:

a. I donate to the team in general

b. I donate with a stipulation that the money go to support women's speedskating

c. I donate with a stipulation that the money goes to support Clara Hughes

In "a", I would get a thank-you and a tax receipt.

In "c", I would either get a thank-you but no tax receipt, or a "no-thanks" with a suggestion I give the money directly.

With "b" I potentially open a can of worms, which I believe is the mess that the CFC already got itself into with stuff that was somewhere between "b" and "c".

All charities have some sort of focus which excludes a large portion of the population. But when the exclusion starts to become so narrow as to allow only a very few individuals, who "just happen" to be personally known to the donator, it's no longer charitable.

Steve

Comment

Re : Re: Richard Wang

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                              I don't doubt that, but I still think it's inappropriate to ask for people to make donations to someone who hasn't asked for it and may not want it. I'm not trying to "call him down".
                              You are completely right David, as shown by the preceding post: Richard Wang is not going, sponsored or not. Lots of fuss for nothing. Some people have a tough time to understand that wanting to do good is not the same as "doing good".
                              The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Comment

Working...
                              X