• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England will have a strong team at Olympiads

because of a private donation!

TWIC
    IM Malcolm Pein - Wednesday 30th June 2010

After a donation the England team will now be at full strength for the Olympiad in September.

A Telegraph reader has come to the aid of the England team which will now be at full strength for the 38th Chess Olympiad to be held in the Siberian city of Khanty Mansiysk from September 19th to October 4th. The ECF financial difficulties have been well documented and following a request from the governing body I made an appeal here for funds to pay reasonable fees to our leading players Nigel Short and Michael Adams.

Nigel nevertheless agreed to play and he will be combining his playing duties with that of being ECF Fide delegate. There remained a significant shortfall which the anonymous donor has generously agreed to cover almost entirely and I will donate the difference. Unfortunately, the donation came after the team had been announced, which created a dilemma for the ECF. International Director Lawrence Cooper made what I believe was the right decision and informed GM Stephen Gordon, who had been selected in Adams' place, and he generously agreed to stand down.

The Telegraph reader wanted England to have the best possible team. Now that Luke McShane has returned to full time chess we will have, for the first time in many years, an excellent blend of youth and experience. The team is:

1 Michael Adams
    2 Nigel Short
    3 Luke McShane
    4 David Howell
    5 Gawain Jones.

I will pray for a private donation in Canada for 2012...

Re: England will have a strong team at Olympiads

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
    I will pray for a private donation in Canada for 2012...
    What should that donation be used for? To get Spraggett and Hebert on the team? Is that even possible?

Comment

With money, you can get more GMs in the team.

Allow me to day dream for a few minutes.

1) With his experience, it would be great to convince Spraggett. I am aware that to get Kevin back is a challenge. Considering his strenghth and his experience it is worth a try. I do not want to start a debate, but I personnally believe that because Kevin has been wrongly treated in the past, it would be great for the new CFC leadership to "extend a hand" and try to improve relations.
      2) There are other GMs too (including a few that are residing in Canada but registered under other federations)

P.S. With little means, I am proud of the quality and potential of our current 2010 team.
      Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Wednesday, 28th July, 2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Potential and a Toonie will get a coffee at the dump restaurant I like.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
        X