Open Letter to CFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter to CFC

First of all, I'd like to apologize if this letter offends anyone in the CFC office, this is nothing personal. The intention of this open letter is to initiate some urgency in the CFC office, so that I get the money owed to me, money in the amount of nearly $3000....

What sparked this letter was an email I received today from the CFC office, regarding the $1400 I was due for winning the Canadian Junior earlier this year. This money is to be used for my World Junior expenses, mainly for the airfare to Poland (which actually came up to over $1600). The Canadian Junior concluded on May 4th. It is now July 27th, four days before I leave for Poland, and I still have not received anything from the CFC. The email that I mentioned, said that the cheque is being prepared for signature, as in it is not even in the mail yet. The cheque will probably arrive while I'm already in Poland playing my first round game. A cheque will be useless as I won't be home to cash it in, while my dad's credit card gathers more interest. The funny thing is that from my past experiences this is the best I could hope for.

Back in 2005, I won the Canadian Junior and in the process set the record for youngest winner ever- a record that to this day has not been broken. I was as confident as ever in 2005 since I had a number of excellent results; drawing 3 GMs at the Foxwoods Open, winning the Canadian Junior ahead of Zhe Quan (a player who I highly respected and still respect), and then beating 2 GMs at Hal Bond's Guelph Futurity. The future looked bright for me and I couldn't wait until I went to Turkey in November for the World Junior. I had a 3 year hiatus from WYCCs because of financial difficulties preventing me from attending the CYCCs in those years. Finally, I would once again represent Canada on the international stage. I would go to a new country, participate in a legendary tournament that players like Kasparov and Anand had won, and I would get to play GMs my age!

Unfortunately, there was an obstacle in my parents not being able to come with me because of work and I was far too young to go there by myself. I asked the CFC to help one of its young talents who was born and raised in Canada, by funding a coach to accompany me. Board and lodging would be provided by the organizers for a coach, so the airfare would be the only costs. Unfortunately, CFC was not able to do this, and I was crushed; I would once again have to wait to represent Canada. Moreover, an experience like the World Junior at such a young age would only have had a positive impact on my chess, and further inspired me in the future.

However, my spirits were lifted when I was promised that the money to be used for the 2005 World Junior ($1500) would be given to me later for a tournament of my choice.

So in 2008, I wanted to use the $1500 to attend the World Open. However, CFC quickly rejected the notion that there was this money set aside from the 2005 tournament, and that given the CFC's "current state" (serious financial problems at the time) nothing could be done for me. I was quite frustrated, but I left the matter alone at the time.

To add insult to injury, the last two Canadian Junior winners, Artiom Samsonkin and Raja Panjwani, both were able to use the money for a tournament of their choice despite not attending the World Junior. Furthermore, at the Canadian Open Blitz tournament last week I had a chance to speak to Bindi Cheng who is a former Canadian Junior Champion. He told me that in 2006 when he went to the World Junior, he did not have to spend a penny and that all his costs were taken care of (excluding pocket money). This year, CFC will be subtracting 170 euros ("entry fee + organizer's fee" issued by the Poland organizers) from the $1400, so it is really less than $1200 Canadian to be used for a flight that costs over $1600. There is so much talk about what can be done to improve the image of Canadian chess; we can start by not letting our champions go bankrupt.

Enough is enough. It's been 5 years since the first Canadian Junior I won, but CFC has only managed to double its debt to me. I do understand that this is no one's fault in particular, but if someone can step in now and fix the mess that this has become, my family and I would really appreciate it. With university looming this fall, I simply don't have the financial resources to let this play out any further. Not to mention the time, time that could have been used preparing for Poland, instead of writing this letter that should have been unnecessary if the CFC had the slightest bit of urgency and responsibility in their actions.

I should mention Michael Barron, the Junior Coordinator, as the most helpful person throughout this whole ordeal. Special thanks to him for putting in a lot of time to contact the organizers and getting Raja and myself registered for the tournament, as well as helping me to contact the elusive CFC office.

I look forward to hearing what can be done for me, and thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy letter!

Sincerely,

Shiyam Thavandiran

Re: Open Letter to CFC

5 years ago? Statute of limitations. consult Kasparov, Kramnik, and Karpov especially these days-- for the 3Ks

Comment

Can you clarify exactly what it is you need to be done right now? From what I see, you are waiting on a cheque for $1400 that is in the process of being prepared, and are maybe owed $1500 towards a tournament of your choice. So, I guess what you need is that $1400 cheque to be finished, and you to get an explanation of how to choose a tournament and get the additional $1500. Is that correct?

Comment

Fed Ex, UPS or even Canada Post priority next day mail should be able to get the check there next day at fairly nominal cost.

Comment

Hi Shiyam:

I have now raised the issue of the past $ 1,500 owing to you with the Treasurer, Fred McKim, by posting your post on the Governrors' Discussion Board, where Fred is currently seeking input of governors into a " revised 2010-11 budget ". If your past prize money was effectively " spent " by the CFC ( wrongly ), then I have asked whether the new budget for this year can put it back in for you.

I will advise you by e-mail of any developments. I have 2 old e-mail addresses for you, and one for one of your parents. Maybe you could e-mail me so I have your current e-mail address ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ). Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Hi Shiyam,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. The office has acknowledged that your 2010 winnings are on the way. It does take a few days as each cheque requires 2 signatures. So you are correct, it should be waiting for you when you return from Poland. So that leaves the issue of 2005.

Could you please answer the following:

Who were the organizers for the 2005 Canadian Junior?

Who promised you the money could be used for tournaments of my choice at a later date? When was that promise made?

In 2008, who at the CFC rejected the notion that there was money set aside from the 2005 tournament?

Please do not infer that these questions are a challenge to your claim. I simply need to know in order to understand what happened.

I need to confirm that the prize money was indeed forwarded to the CFC office by the organizers. It maybe possible the organizers still have the prize fund.

I was at the CFC office for all of 2008, and I do not recall any issue of money owed to you. Either all your discussions were with the executive, or my memory just sucks.

Please keep in mind, from 2005 to 2008, there was a complete 100% turnover of CFC executive and staff. :( I bet this is the real root of the problem.

It will take some digging, but we will get to the bottom of this problem and resolve it. Anyone who can help, please email me at president@chess.ca

Forget about this for now, and enjoy your trip to Poland. :)

Comment

Re : Re: Open Letter to CFC

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Hi Shiyam,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. The office has acknowledged that your 2010 winnings are on the way. It does take a few days as each cheque requires 2 signatures. So you are correct, it should be waiting for you when you return from Poland. So that leaves the issue of 2005.

Could you please answer the following:

Who were the organizers for the 2005 Canadian Junior?

Who promised you the money could be used for tournaments of my choice at a later date? When was that promise made?

In 2008, who at the CFC rejected the notion that there was money set aside from the 2005 tournament?

Please do not infer that these questions are a challenge to your claim. I simply need to know in order to understand what happened.

I need to confirm that the prize money was indeed forwarded to the CFC office by the organizers. It maybe possible the organizers still have the prize fund.

I was at the CFC office for all of 2008, and I do not recall any issue of money owed to you. Either all your discussions were with the executive, or my memory just sucks.

Please keep in mind, from 2005 to 2008, there was a complete 100% turnover of CFC executive and staff. :( I bet this is the real root of the problem.

It will take some digging, but we will get to the bottom of this problem and resolve it. Anyone who can help, please email me at president@chess.ca

Forget about this for now, and enjoy your trip to Poland. :)
              Hey, Chesstalk might not be so useless after all... Take that, all of you negative people...:)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Open Letter to CFC

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                Hey, Chesstalk might not be so useless after all... Take that, all of you negative people...:)
                I told we need Bob from AccountTemp!
                A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Thank you for the quick and helpful responses! I appreciate it.

Bob A- I have emailed you, thank you for posting it on the Governors' Board!

Bob G- Thank you for your concern, and I understand you have to ask the questions you ask, I would expect nothing less. I have emailed you my answers.

David O- Yes, that would be a good place to start. However, the other thing is the matter of CFC not taking care of its Canadian Junior Champion. For me to spend nearly $500 (170 euros for tournament fees, $250 difference between $1650 Poland flight and $1400 prize money) for a trip that should be free is disappointing. I am hoping CFC will cover this difference, and if this is not possible, if someone reading this post can sponsor/donate.

Of course, there is the matter of supporting its players by sending a coach with the team! In a 13 round competitive tournament of this caliber (which includes 17 GMs and 34 IMs: http://www.wjcc2010.pl/en) where Canada's reputation is on the line, I would expect CFC to actively pursue sponsorship to help Raja and myself play our best chess.

This is nothing new to me, as even in WYCCs I have attended, Canada has not sent the professional GM help that other countries receive, and yet we always turn in respectable results which is a testament to the talent we have.

However, I have been training with a foreign GM in the summer leading up to Poland. I would also like to enlist his help during the tournament through Skype, but I will need assistance in covering the costs for his time.

If anyone is willing to donate/sponsor please contact me at shiyam_t@hotmail.com

Thank you once again for your time and support, I am feeling much more optimistic now!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiyam Thavandiran View Post
                    If anyone is willing to donate/sponsor please contact me at shiyam_t@hotmail.com
                    Hi Shiyam,

Chess'n Math was approached to help you with this event. Our policy has always been that we support youngsters who support our events however we feel that if you qualified for an event by another organization then your expenses should be taken care of by that organization...in otherwords...the CFC qualifies you to the World Junior...the CFC should pick up the bill.

As I explained, at the time we were approached, the Chess'n Math Association is prepared to help you out if you have other projects in mind.

That said, I will donate $250 (personally) towards your expenses for this event.

You are a class act and you deserve our support!

Should you collect more in donations than your cost...I trust you will let me know...no double dipping LOL

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      Hi Shiyam,

Chess'n Math was approached to help you with this event. Our policy has always been that we support youngsters who support our events however we feel that if you qualified for an event by another organization then your expenses should be taken care of by that organization...in otherwords...the CFC qualifies you to the World Junior...the CFC should pick up the bill.

As I explained, at the time we were approached, the Chess'n Math Association is prepared to help you out if you have other projects in mind.

That said, I will donate $250 (personally) towards your expenses for this event.

You are a class act and you deserve our support!

Should you collect more in donations than your cost...I trust you will let me know...no double dipping LOL

Larry
                      Hi Larry,

Thank you for your kind words!

It was a pleasure playing in Chess'n Math events! I say "was" because now I'm too old to play in Chess'n Math- what a weird thought! Of course, I still look to stay involved in the organization for years to come.

I understand that Chess'n Math has nothing to do with my situation and yet you are personally donating, which I am very grateful for. I will definitely contact Chess'n Math about future tournaments, I appreciate the offer!

And thanks again for the support!

Shiyam

Comment

Working...
                      X