Claiming a flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming a flag.

This may have been addressed in a previous thread but if a player claims a flag but both flags are down, what is the verdict? Once a player claims flag, he wins but both clocks are in the same situation, the player isn't really claiming anything. Also, is the rule different for bllitz games?

Alex

Re: Claiming a flag.

Originally posted by Alexandru Florea View Post
    This may have been addressed in a previous thread but if a player claims a flag but both flags are down, what is the verdict? Once a player claims flag, he wins but both clocks are in the same situation, the player isn't really claiming anything. Also, is the rule different for bllitz games?

Alex
    In principle yes, they are different for blitz/rapid and normal games (according to FIDE).

Normal:
    "6.11 If both flags have fallen and it is impossible to establish which flag fell first then:
    a. the game shall continue if it happens in any period of the game except the last period
    b. the game is drawn if it happens in the period of a game, in which all remaining moves must be completed."

For blitz/rapidplay:
    "# 1. The flag is considered to have fallen when a player has made a valid claim to that effect. The arbiter shall refrain from signalling a flag fall, but he may do so if both flags have fallen.
    2. To claim a win on time, the claimant must stop both clocks and notify the arbiter. For the claim to be successful, the claimant’s flag must remain up and his opponent’s flag down after the clocks have been stopped.
    3. If both flags have fallen as described in (1) and (2), the arbiter shall declare the game drawn."
    As you see there is no need to "establish which flag fell first".

Thus, for blitz - draw. In normal chess - you can start a flammable thread at chesstalk if the arbiter makes an unfavourable decision :D

Comment

Alex
      For regular games, the game is lost by the player whose flag have fallen first. If it is impossible to establish which flag have fallen first, the game continues if this occurs in any period other then the last period and the game is drawn if this occurs in the last period.

For unsupervised rapidplay and blitz, the game is drawn if both flags are down.

Originally posted by FIDE Laws of Chess
      If both flags have fallen and it is impossible to establish which flag fell first then:

a.
      the game shall continue if it happens in any period of the game except the last period

b.
      the game is drawn if it happens in the period of a game, in which all remaining moves must be completed.

A.4.d (unsupervised rapidplay)

1. The flag is considered to have fallen when a player has made a valid claim to that effect. The arbiter shall refrain from signalling a flag fall, but he may do so if both flags have fallen.

2. To claim a win on time, the claimant must stop both clocks and notify the arbiter. For the claim to be successful, the claimant’s flag must remain up and his opponent’s flag down after the clocks have been stopped.

3. If both flags have fallen as described in (1) and (2), the arbiter shall declare the game drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
        For regular games, the game is lost by the player whose flag have fallen first. If it is impossible to establish which flag have fallen first, the game continues if this occurs in any period other then the last period and the game is drawn if this occurs in the last period.

For unsupervised rapidplay and blitz, the game is drawn if both flags are down.
        I'm asking this because at the Canadian Open Blitz, both my opponent and I flagged, but my opponent claimed it and it was considered a win for him. The confusing part is, at the Ontario Open, I played a game and both my opponent and I flagged again! :D It was immediately declared a draw even though my flag fell way before my opponent's.

Could you explain what is meant by "the game continues"? I don't understand how one can continue without the clock. Wouldn't it be much easier to have clocks that start beeping when someone flags so the players don't have to claim it? Having to claim it just adds to the confusion.
        Last edited by Alexandru Florea; Friday, 6th August, 2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Could you explain what is meant by "the game continues"? I don't understand how one can continue without the clock.
          With analog clocks, the game simply continues into the next period without any clock adjustment.

140 clocks sounding in a tournament hall would disturb everybody. Clocks must operate silently.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
            With analog clocks, the game simply continues into the next period without any clock adjustment.

140 clocks sounding in a tournament hall would disturb everybody. Clocks must operate silently.
            Maybe using the light on the Saitek clocks? It starts flashing red instead of green when theres a flag...

Comment

As a newcomer, please excuse my ignorance, but what is 'The Next Period' ???
              I have never heard of this before.
              Thanks.

Comment

Some time controls have multiple time periods, for example having 90 minutes for your first 30 moves and then 60 minutes for the rest of the game after that.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.
                  Since I have only played in 90mins+30secs/move tournaments, I had never heard of the 'Period' terminology before.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Carroll View Post
                    Thanks for the clarification.
                    Since I have only played in 90mins+30secs/move tournaments, I had never heard of the 'Period' terminology before.
                    He's French. Take all quotes w/ a grain of sand.

Comment

Working...
                    X