Fall London Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall London Tournaments

Good morning! Are there any one-day tournaments in London this fall? I checked chess.ca this morning and I don't see anything past August.

Thanks!

Craig Sadler

Re: Fall London Tournaments

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
    Good morning! Are there any one-day tournaments in London this fall? I checked chess.ca this morning and I don't see anything past August.

Thanks!

Craig Sadler
    I believe that Steve is planning to continue holding events through the fall. He usually posts three or more of them at once on the CFC website. I imagine that he will post the fall schedule after the last event of the summer schedule. He had a show of hands about whether people wanted to pay more to establish a bigger prize fund and the consensus was that the same fees with no increase in the prize fund was the preference of most of the participants.

Comment

Re : Re: Fall London Tournaments

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I believe that Steve is planning to continue holding events through the fall. He usually posts three or more of them at once on the CFC website. I imagine that he will post the fall schedule after the last event of the summer schedule. He had a show of hands about whether people wanted to pay more to establish a bigger prize fund and the consensus was that the same fees with no increase in the prize fund was the preference of most of the participants.
      It is pretty much as if the government would ask by a show of hands if people would be willing to pay more taxes to promote intelligence and higher education. Most people would feel that they have enough education and intelligence...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Fall London Tournaments

If you're in it for the money you would be better off taking that weekend job in a donut shop, Homer. You'll make more money and you'll get to eat free donuts.

The London tournaments fill a niche in the market, a low cost $20 tournament for people who don't want to spend $75 and a whole weekend to play some rated chess.

Comment

The London tournaments fill a niche in the market, a low cost $20 tournament for people who don't want to spend $75 and a whole weekend to play some rated chess.
          i completely agree...the low cost doesn't make one difference to me one way or the other...the one day is what is appealing to me

Thanks Vlad for the info!

Comment

Re : Re: Fall London Tournaments

If you're in it for the money you would be better off taking that weekend job in a donut shop, Homer. You'll make more money and you'll get to eat free donuts.
            If you're in the Simpson's for education and wisdom you might consider other avenues...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
              i completely agree...the low cost doesn't make one difference to me one way or the other...the one day is what is appealing to me

Thanks Vlad for the info!
              You're welcome!

The cost is not my primary motivator either (within reason) but it is good that there are events to serve those for whom cost is a factor. There is something very pleasing about people getting together just for the sheer joy of playing chess.

Comment

Working...
              X